Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Converting from lapband to bypass???

Guest ZenGarden

Guest ZenGarden

Okay guys, with all due respect...I'm not trying to start a debate here. I'm specifically interested in knowing if there is anyone who had lapband surgery and then for whatever reason decided it wasn't for them so they went back into surgery for bypass instead.

If so, I'm curious to know what the process was like. My specific questions are these:

(1). At what point after lapband did you discuss the option of having bypass instead?

(2). Was the insurance approval process the same? Meaning...did you have to go back through the ENTIRE process (nutrition counseling, psych evals, etc.)

(3) Did your insurance cover the surgeries (removing the band AND performing bypass surgery)?

I appreciate any real-world experience you guys have on this...

Thanks in advance,

Shannon

Guest ZenGarden

May I ask why you are considering revision surgery? Did your band erode? Slip? It would make a difference regarding surgery and insurance.

No slippage or erosion issues whatsoever; just don't think the band is right for me.

Looks like you've lost the weight so far mainly on will power....you've had such a small amount of fill in your band that you probably haven't had much restriction yet. Hope things work out well for you!

No slippage or erosion issues whatsoever; just don't think the band is right for me.

Again, you'd have to give us something to work with here before we can respond. Why isn't the band right for you? I doubt insurance is going to pay for a 2nd WLS just because you don't think the band is right for you. They are going to want specifics.

Your fill history... is that a grand total or a running list? Are you at 0.4cc for your 3rd fill?

I doubt insurance would cover it so soon. If they did consider covering it, I would think they'd want a certain period of time to give the band a fair shot. Trust me, before getting good restriction I was thinking the same thing.

I doubt insurance would cover it so soon. If they did consider covering it, I would think they'd want a certain period of time to give the band a fair shot. Trust me, before getting good restriction I was thinking the same thing.

Everyone thinks the same thing. They wonder if they just blew a lot of money paying for something that doesn't work.

That time frame is called Bandster Hell for a reason.

Okay guys, with all due respect...I'm not trying to start a debate here. I'm specifically interested in knowing if there is anyone who had lapband surgery and then for whatever reason decided it wasn't for them so they went back into surgery for bypass instead.

If so, I'm curious to know what the process was like. My specific questions are these:

(1). At what point after lapband did you discuss the option of having bypass instead?

(2). Was the insurance approval process the same? Meaning...did you have to go back through the ENTIRE process (nutrition counseling, psych evals, etc.)

(3) Did your insurance cover the surgeries (removing the band AND performing bypass surgery)?

I appreciate any real-world experience you guys have on this...

Thanks in advance,

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

I suspect that you haven't had effective restriction with the Lap-Band, or you wouldn't be asking this question.

The only thing I would add is that the aspect of behavior modification is almost identical with both types of surgery.

The behaviors required for success with a Lap-Band are nearly identical to the behaviors required for success with RNY or any other type of weight loss surgery.

The band isn't right for everyone. Personally, for information's sake, if you don't mind sharing, I'd like to know why you don't think it's right for you?

I do not think that insurance will pay for a revision without you having issues with the band. Unfortunately, there aren't alot of people who got revisions who hang around here, but you might try to repost this in the "Life After Lap Band Removal" section. There was a poster who used to hang around called Geezer Sue who was revised to DS, but I haven't seen her in a while.

I don't have any information on this, but I would think a gastric bypass forum might have more information.

Likely if someone went from lap-band to RNY, they would not be around here anymore.

Maybe try to find a good forum for RNY and ask them if any of them came from lap-banding.

Good luck with your research!

I have not had a revision but I was considering Lap Band Surgery until I went for my consult with the surgeon. I left with many questions that I needed to answer truthfully. I ended up going back for a 2nd consult with the surgeon a couple weeks later to switch from Lap Band to RNY Bypass. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

For me personally I had to take a long and hard look at the reasons I was overweight. Why do I keep failing each time on every diet I try? I have read many, many times that if you have a sweet tooth that the band might not be a good tool to choose. I know that is my #1 problem. I have loved sweets since I was a kid and if I can eat them with the band without any consequences, I know that I will eventually. I could not allow myself to have a surgery that I knew deep down in my heart I might fail. Even though I was terrified of having the RNY Bypass and still have fears about having the surgery I know its’ the better option for me. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I hope you are able to figure out what is causing you to think the band is not working for you and able to work it to the fullest. Surgery is not something to take lightly and I personally do not want to undergo any more surgeries than I have to.<o:p></o:p>

I wish you the best of luck and success with your tool. :hug:

Zen- i was banded on 3/30/07, so we are kind of at the same point. i got my fourth fill aug. 23 with a total of 2.3cc (I think) and i still didn't have great resrtriction. But a week and a half later the restriction came and i finally know what good resrtiction is. it's made a big difference. I also notice that if i am not working out at least 3x a week i lose really slow. (Like 5 lbs in 6 weeks) So hang in there, ask for another fill soon, and exercise. good luck!

Guest ZenGarden

Looks like you've lost the weight so far mainly on will power....you've had such a small amount of fill in your band that you probably haven't had much restriction yet. Hope things work out well for you!

WOW, you have lost a ton of weight since surgery. Would you mind me asking how much exercise you are doing and how much saline you have in your band?

zengirl.....I have a 10cc band and I have 4.6 cc right now. I have had more but it was too much and caused acid reflux. But I've got good restriction for right now. But as you lose more weight, you need to have your band tightened. Everybody is made differently so everybody responds to different levels of restriction. Too bad it's not a perfect science yet. That's why we have to keep experimenting and working at it.

Doctors and infomercials who say that with the band you can eat whatever you want, just in smaller amounts are not being realistic. Maybe some people can but I personally cannot and I don't know many people who can.

My band has not been the reason I've lost weight.....but the band has made it possible for me to make the lifestyle changes that losing weight requires but not feel deprived of normal food or a normal life. It has been a miracle for me.

I use fitday.com to record my intake. If something goes in my mouth it goes on fitday! I get about 80-100 grams of Protein every day (about half of it is from supplements because our little pouches can't hold that much dense protein). I limit my carbs to less than 50 grams/day and those are all good carbs - NO white carbs at all (potatoes, rice, Pasta, flour products, corn) and no sugar. No bread. No carbonated drinks. No drinking with meals or for one hour afterward. Actually, I am eating by the same food plan that people with Gastric Bypass need to use. (The lack of starches helps eliminate cravings.)

I walk about a mile a day on a treadmill and I work out at Curves 3X/week. I need to do more but I have arthritis and altho the weight loss has helped it tremendously, I still have to limit myself. I am off all my diabetic and blood pressure meds. My blood work is perfect.

I am aware that many people can lose wieght with a much less stringent food plan. But I can't. And I had a lot to lose and needed to lose it as quickly as possibly. It has worked well for me.

I also know that the band is not the answer for everyone. Sweet addicts probably benefit more from Gastric Bypass because they cannot tolerate the sugar. Volume eaters do better with the band usually. However, Gastric Bypass is only effective for about 18-24 months (your 'window of opportunity'); after that your intestines begin to adjust and most people are then on their own to keep their weight down - the goal is to have changed your lifestyle and eating habits by that time. That's why so many people begin to gain their weight back after that 'window' is passed. And that's why I chose the band....it's there ready to work for you when you are ready to work with it. But it is a team effort - the band can't work by itself.

I hope you find your way to a healthier life, sweetie. Best wishes....

I don't know of anyone who converted from the band to the RNY, however I know people who got banded after gaining all their weight back after the RNY.