Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded co-worker eats McDonald's every day

Hi all,

I was just banded on Monday and I keep thinking about this guy at work who was banded in April. He has lost 110lbs in just 6 months and he told me that he eats ice cream every night. He said that he eats ice cream every night even immediately post-op and I think about the ice cream in my freezer.

He also recently told me that every day on his way in to work, he stops at Mcdonalds and orders a scrambled egg and sausage patty. this is his Breakfast every day. However, he still continues to lose weight at a rapid rate.

What is you opinion of eating ice cream?

What about McDonalds? I don't really like McDonalds, but I thought it was strange that he thought this was ok.

It sounds like he's doing just fine. The scrambled eggs and sausage are Protein, which is good. Yeah, sausage is high in fat, but as long as he's not consuming too many calories, which he obviously isn't, then sausage is fine. Same for the ice cream. In moderation, everything is OK. Now if he's skipping dinner and eating a pint of ice cream every night, that's not good. But if he's eating a balanced dinner and having 1/4 or 1/2 of cup of ice cream every night for dessert, then I don't see anything wrong with that. Yes, he'd probably lose weight faster without the ice cream, but apparently that's a trade-off he's willing to make.

By the way, I eat a lot of venison sausage and am pleased with my weight loss.

Ok, so maybe this does sound a bit strange, but I agree. We are not to rule out any food. For me icecream every night would be too much of a temptation, but if it works for him. I agree as long as he isn't skipping meal or pigging out.

But one thing we always have to remember is that just because 1 person can do something with their band, doesn't mean that we can! lol... I thought at first I envied him, but to me it sounds too dangerous! :car:

As for MCD's I hate it, but do agree if he is just eating scrambled eggs and a sausage patty it is ok. Gross in my opnion but ok!

OMG!!!!! reading this just made me CRAVE a sausage egg McMuffin...i used to eat 2....but i do agree with Enterprise, moderation is key and he must be working out also..at least i hope

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I have to remember that everyone is different.

To answer everyone's question he doesn't work out at all bc he has a knee problem and he eats 3/4 cup of ice cream every night.

I have been craving ice cream..... can you tell? And I am only 3 days post op!!!

I would say just one teaspoon....but your only 3 days in.....so be strong and sip sip sip..lol dont sneak anything to early.....you will be fine. crystal light is great..put it in the ice tray, u will have something to play around with in your mouth.

Well McDonalds sausage and egg may have Protein but its also disgustingly processed high fat, chemical laden food, its not OK to eat that on a daily basis. Not if you want to live to 100 without growing two heads and rupturing your aorta. Yuck. That's his business though.

Calories are calories are calories, no matter where you get em from. Eat fewer calories, you'll lose weight and that's the simple truth. He's eating less calories than his body currently requires.

If you want to eat McDonalds or ice cream as a treat occasionally, there's nothing in the world wrong with that. In the context of a balanced diet. But you wont be healthy - even if you're thinner - if you base your daily diet around foods like that. They do contain nutrients but they contain things that are terrible for you as well - saturated fat, sugar, preservatives, colourings.

So I wouldnt envy him to be honest, I'd be horrified at what he's doing to himself.

But no food is completely out of bounds in the right balance, enjoy what you want in moderation!

I read this and was thinking "thin people have heart attacks too!".

In the end, you will have to decide how you want to treat your body and that is very much tied to what you put in it. I would get tired of eating the same things everyday no matter what it was!

I did have some frozen yogurt during my full liquid stage and it was good! Happy to report it didn't take much to get that statisfied feeling.

Also, one more thing to remember is that he is a man. Men can drop weight so much easier and faster than women. There is a man in my group. We weigh the same. Got banded around the same time. When he went for his post op he had lost 45 pounds already(only after 10 days). When I went in for my post op I had "only" 22 pounds gone. That's a real big difference. I was jealous because I was following the exact same post op liquid diet.

And I totally agree that McDonalds and ice cream does not a healthy diet make. Gosh I am starting to sound like my mom. Sorry.

shelli:ranger:

I was just fixing to echo that same comment when I saw yours, shelli16415! We can't even BEGIN to compare our metabolism with men. They have a larger capacity for food and caloric intake than we do. What would pack on 50 pounds for us would be the equivalent of "maintenance" for them. No comparison whatsoever.

Well, you can't argue with success...he sounds like he is doing fine, but I couldn't do that ...first off, I wouldn't lose the weight and second of all, that is not what I call good choices....I am not saying that you couldn't have that once in a while, but not everyday....I usually drink my breakfast..a Protein Shake first off and then I can have my Decaf coffee right afterwards...so I get to have my Breakfast and my coffee at the same time...this would not be possible if I was eating food....and not having liquid....

Hi all,

I was just banded on Monday and I keep thinking about this guy at work who was banded in April. He has lost 110lbs in just 6 months and he told me that he eats ice cream every night. He said that he eats ice cream every night even immediately post-op and I think about the ice cream in my freezer.

He also recently told me that every day on his way in to work, he stops at Mcdonalds and orders a scrambled egg and sausage patty. this is his breakfast every day. However, he still continues to lose weight at a rapid rate.

What is you opinion of eating ice cream?

What about McDonalds? I don't really like McDonalds, but I thought it was strange that he thought this was ok.

Whatever works for you, is what you should do.

This is working for him.

Is it good choices?

Nope.

Would he lose faster without such poor choices?

Yes.

But it works for him.

McDonald's sausage and eggs may not be good choices for you or me, but it may be a good choice for him. Maybe before the band he was eating 2 Cinnabons, an omelet, sausage, and bacon for breakfast. Cutting down to just sausage and eggs is definitely a better choice. Just remember that it's all relative. He is probably making the best choices he is mentally ready to make at this point. When you've been fat and eating junk most of your life, it's not realistic to suddenly change all your habits overnight and start eating kelp and bean sprouts. It's a process and some bandsters get there faster than others. Some never get there. And while Jachut has a valid point about the dangers of processed food and preservatives and additives, eating fresh, non-processed foods simply isn't possible for everyone. With my lifestyle, I don't have time to prepare my own food or even to go to the grocery store on a regular basis. I manage to make it to the store about once every 6 weeks (usually at 2 a.m.), and fruits and veggies and fresh meat only last about week. So I'm not going to be judgmental of this guy and say he's making bad choices when those may be the best possible choices for him at this stage in his life.