Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op-Anyone starting around 215lbs and BMI 35?

I just love your story....Losing slowly does have health advantages....and you are so right....could not have done it on my own. Looking forward to next Tuesday when my journey truly begins. Thank you for your input!!!

I started at 213 BMI 35. My sleeve was 10/18 and I am now 189. I have to be mindful that the goal is 35lbs at six months post op. While it sometimes seems like a slow loss I know that is a comparison issue. Losing slowly has health advantages. I just remind myself that I wasn't able to lose this much on my own so every few pounds is a victory.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I started at 220 bmi 35 and was 207 by surgery (10 day pre op diet). I am down to 180 now as few days shy of week 8. With my dieting in the past I rarely lost my that 10 or 15 lbs then gain it back. Twice I managed to lose to 168 but again gained back within a few months. Without this I don't know what I would have done.

Thank you for sharing! Iam okay with slower in exchange for permanency. Wondering what Christmas will look like this year, and how will I ever explain at my big family dinner why I am not eating and eating and eating....and eating. #lifechanges

I started at 220 bmi 35 and was 207 by surgery (10 day pre op diet). I am down to 180 now as few days shy of week 8. With my dieting in the past I rarely lost my that 10 or 15 lbs then gain it back. Twice I managed to lose to 168 but again gained back within a few months. Without this I don't know what I would have done.

I tell friends and family this reason, as to why I'm not eating much. "When I woke up this morning, it seems like everything I eat and drink is going out one end or the other!" EWWWW! The usually stops the questions.

My husband tells those that do not know we had the sleeve that we have set ourselves to a new way of thinking and acting towards food. He has also told them that he had a snack earlier so that he wouldn't overeat. When it takes us almost as long to eat our tiny meal as it does for others to eat significantly more, it seems to make sense to them.

Then come the compliments for sticking to our diet and doing something right because "We look great."

Thank you for sharing! Iam okay with slower in exchange for permanency. Wondering what Christmas will look like this year, and how will I ever explain at my big family dinner why I am not eating and eating and eating....and eating. #lifechanges

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I was around 35 bmi when I got my surgery approval. I had my surgery on 10/10 and after the pre-op diet I was down to 190 (at 5-3" tall)at actual surgery time. It's been 6 weeks since surgery now. Though I've lost a total of 40 lbs since starting the whole process I've only lost 15 of those post surgery. I was told to expect a slower loss than those significantly more overweight. In theory, this is ok. It should mean fewer raised eyebrows, hopefully less dramatic hormonal changes, fingers crossed for less saggy skin issues??? We'll see. As for tips, I say follow your plan and start walking as soon as you possibly can. I had an amazingly easy recovery and hope you do too!

I'm at 215, I'm only 5'4 so my BMI is higher, BUT...I completely relate to the losing and gaining it back within a few months. And like someone else had said on this thread, I question myself if I REALLY need this surgery (and believe me, people have said "You don't look like you need this"). My body has been adjusting very well to gaining 10-15 pounds a year and keeping it. Anyone remember when Angeline Jolie had a mastectomy even though she didn't have breast cancer yet? I'm getting this surgery for the same reason she did, she knew her chances of cancer were very high too. Both of my parents were seriously obese. My mother had a gastric sleeve a few years ago. I don't want to hit 250, 300 and become even worse off than I am now. Yeah, I have to self pay since I haven't been over BMI of 35 for 3 years (just this past year I hit that mark) . But it's an investment in myself and my future.

We are kindred spirits then....I look forward to Tuesday when I finally can take REAL control of my eating habits. I am self pay - going to Montreal, Ontario, Canada to have it done by one of the pioneering doctors of this surgery. I have had my emotional ups and downs with this decision...but nothing tastes as good as thin feels. I look forward to hitting goal weight. Cheers sister! Best of luck!

I'm at 215, I'm only 5'4 so my BMI is higher, BUT...I completely relate to the losing and gaining it back within a few months. And like someone else had said on this thread, I question myself if I REALLY need this surgery (and believe me, people have said "You don't look like you need this"). My body has been adjusting very well to gaining 10-15 pounds a year and keeping it. Anyone remember when Angeline Jolie had a mastectomy even though she didn't have breast cancer yet? I'm getting this surgery for the same reason she did, she knew her chances of cancer were very high too. Both of my parents were seriously obese. My mother had a gastric sleeve a few years ago. I don't want to hit 250, 300 and become even worse off than I am now. Yeah, I have to self pay since I haven't been over BMI of 35 for 3 years (just this past year I hit that mark) . But it's an investment in myself and my future.

@Darcia. How did your surgery go?? I'd love to know! I'm in your exact position from November, flying to Montreal to get the surgery at Rockland Md. I 'm in Vancouver. Would love to hear your story. Starting BMI is 38. Was there much pre-op stuff? Any problems? What's the follow-up like when you're from out of town?

Would appreciate any info you have!!

@"Thinfarmer" I had my surgery In Montreal but at a different clinic than where you are going. I had it on November 29. Started at 210. Today weighed in at 8 weeks post op and am down 31 lbs. Iam 179 today. post op: I had to get blood work, X-rays, and an endoscopy. The only pre op diet I had was the day before. I could have Breakfast then after that only liquids. I also had a nutritionist telephone call prior to surgery -which the doctor set me up with. It was included w my fee. Also, one nutritional consult after. I had an initial telephone consultation with the surgeon in planning stage. The communication has been fabulous so far. The staff was great and the clinic pristine. Vitamin regime is impt after. They will tell u all about it. BTW - I self paid. Didn't want the hassle of waiting. This journey is NOT easy. There may be a case of buyers remorse after the first day BUT that goes away. Each day is challenging for the first month. However, each day also gets easier. And the scale victories help on the hard days. It's an emotional roller coaster at first bc your brain has no idea what u did to your body and it needs time to adjust. It thinks u can eat. You can't. The best part was after surgery YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY! At least I wasn't. Iam still not really. Water is the hardest thing to get enough of. You will feel like all you do is sip sip sip. But IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. 100%.

I was BMI 35 and I'm BMI 25 now. Still losing but very slowly. Best decision I've ever made!

I started this journey at a BMI of 40. Worked my butt off in the clinic and on the day of signing consent was a BMI of 35. Went from 227lbs and 202lbs. I know LOTS of people who tell me I don't need the surgery, that I can obviously do it myself, that it's not worth the risk...

But like people above said, I'm doing this as a preventative measure. I hear over and over again in bariatric groups from people who wish they'd done it sooner. So why not now? I gained 50 lbs in 5 years, was depressed, had insulin resistance... and come from a family of obese type 2 diabetics. I know where I was headed. I'm putting a stop to it!

I know my weight loss post surgery will be slower and more modest, but I'm fine with that. After losing 25lbs so far, if I lose another 40-50 and KEEP IT OFF, I'll consider the surgery a rousing success! Even having lost this 25 has improved my quality of life significantly, and I can't wait to see what the future holds!

I used to be scared of my body and my future, and now I don't feel that way anymore. It's been amazing!

On 23 January 2017 at 4:32 PM, Darcia said:

@"Thinfarmer" I had my surgery In Montreal but at a different clinic than where you are going. I had it on November 29. Started at 210. Today weighed in at 8 weeks post op and am down 31 lbs. Iam 179 today. emoji106.png post op: I had to get blood work, X-rays, and an endoscopy. The only pre op diet I had was the day before. I could have Breakfast then after that only liquids. I also had a nutritionist telephone call prior to surgery -which the doctor set me up with. It was included w my fee. Also, one nutritional consult after. I had an initial telephone consultation with the surgeon in planning stage. The communication has been fabulous so far. The staff was great and the clinic pristine. Vitamin regime is impt after. They will tell u all about it. BTW - I self paid. Didn't want the hassle of waiting. This journey is NOT easy. There may be a case of buyers remorse after the first day BUT that goes away. Each day is challenging for the first month. However, each day also gets easier. And the scale victories help on the hard days. It's an emotional roller coaster at first bc your brain has no idea what u did to your body and it needs time to adjust. It thinks u can eat. You can't. The best part was after surgery YOU ARE NOT HUNGRY! At least I wasn't. Iam still not really. Water is the hardest thing to get enough of. You will feel like all you do is sip sip sip. But IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY. 100%.

Which clinic did you go to, Darcia? One of my issues is that Rockland has asked to do a face to face consult before they even set a surgery date...did you have to do this? It means getting on a plane from Vancouver just for a consult, which is not cheap, then returning for the surgery. They have all my test results. When viewed in context of the entire price, I suppose it isn't much, but this is already clearing out my savings. I'd love to know your surgeon so I can check the various options. And how are things now, 3 months post? Any regrets? How was christmas dinner! :)

I went to Dr Michel Gagner. Google Clinique Michel Gagner for info. I did NOT have to go in person pre op. I had a telephone conference / consultation call w Dr Gagner. I had all test results faxed to him prior to surgery. I met w him day of. He is amazing and one of the pioneering doctors for this surgery. You would b in exceptional hands. My fee was $13,750.00. It included procedure, anesthetic, one night in clinic and one night in hotel w a nurse. It includes all inquiries that U may need with the doctor for 90 days post surgery. Also includes 2 telephone consults w a nutritionist. One before and one after. I went into surgery at 210lbs. 3 months later - today Iam 40lbs down and sitting at 170.0. This is exactly on track to what Dr Gagner predicted would happen. He said the next 20 should b off by June. Honestly, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY 100% NO REGRETS.