Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Distracted From School with a 12/12/16 surgery

Hi. As I type, I am supposed to be studying for a big exam tomorrow morning at 9 AM. Even though I graduate on 12/7, wrapping up my degree is the furthest thing on my mind right now. My surgery is scheduled for December, 12 @ 07:30 AM. My pre-op diet begins on 11/28. All I can think about is my upcoming VSG, Vitamins, discomfort, excess skin, and what-ifs. My mind keeps wandering. How does everyone focus on the now? I have finished my insurance hurdles, I have had my pre-op appointment, and I am scheduled. I know that my degree is very important, I have worked very hard, yet all of a sudden my brain has been taken over. When I turned thirty, I resigned myself to being unhealthy. Then the impossible became a very big possible for me. Now it isn't just possible, it is scheduled to begin! It's still three weeks away and I have work to do. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks for listening!

What it's are nothing else but a pretext for failure. Don't set yourself up. Believe in what will be. I had all those emotions as well. I'm only three days out, but I know that I need to stick to the plan, follow the instructions, these things are tried and true. Believe in your self and continue to see "what will be."

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Mine is scheduled for 12/7....I am also in school and that will be week 7 of an 8 week term. I'm trying to plow through it and just get it all done before I go in. Keeping my mind occupied is the only thing keeping me from just canceling because I'm so nervous!

I've worked in Higher Education for over 25 years so I understand the very real challenge anxiety can have when approaching the end of your studies. I've seen many students have a difficult time finishing up, not because their last courses are that difficult, but the immensity of the transition they are about to go through can become overwhelming. That's over and above the anxiety of an approaching surgery (My surgery date is on Nov. 30, next week and I've had a difficult time concentrating at work).

Here's my advice:

1. Start thinking of your finals as one of the preparatory steps for your surgery. If you think of it as another milestone that must be overcome on the way to your date, it might help you from thinking of the surgery as a distraction and more as the end result of your studies.

2. Take your tasks and break them into smaller, achievable goals. If you know your final is going to cover chapters 11-20, sit with your calendar and put down an hour in which you're going to review each of those chapters before your final. It's easier to think of accomplishing an hour of study, than thinking of focusing on 10 chapters. Between those times give yourself permission to wallow a bit in thinking about the surgery. Reread your literature and any books you might have bought on your way to your decision. Create a packing list for the hospital. Make sure your arrangements to and from the hospital are made in detail.

3. If you haven't already, plan a celebration for yourself for finishing your degree. Planning some of those details may take your mind off all the what-if scenarios you're playing in your head that you really won't be able to address until the surgery is done.

Good luck on your degree and on your upcoming surgery. This is going to be such a huge and wonderful transition for you!

I hear yeah my wife has her rny tomorrow and mine is next tuesday, also finals week is next week (same week as my surg) and I just took the nursing entrance exam today, boy has it been stress filled but eye on the prizes. Keep your head up and you can do this.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I hear yeah my wife has her rny tomorrow and mine is next tuesday, also finals week is next week (same week as my surg) and I just took the nursing entrance exam today, boy has it been stress filled but eye on the prizes. Keep your head up and you can do this.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Yes, I hear you! I am finishing up my RN/ADN right now, but it will also be my first degree. Thank you! Keep looking forward and you will make it.

@@Alfred Day... That was everything that I needed to hear. I don't have the words exactly, but you hit the heart of this brain chaos and made it make sense. I am really glad that someone with your experience stumbled across my post, thank you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches