Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dual topic: Addiction behavior returning and Psychology practices

Hi everyone!

I'm more than a year out, almost 100 lbs down, and couldn't be any happier about the decision to get sleeved last August. My self esteem has improved tremendously, I'm so much more active than before surgery and have adopted some really good eating habits. If I stop losing weight here (at 170 lbs), I'm thrilled. If I lose more, I'm thrilled. So know I'm overall in a really good place when I talk about the following:

1. My addictive drive is returning with a vengeance. The worst eating habit I've had for 30+ years is nighttime eating/snacking/grazing. I had this under control during the healing process but over the last few months I find that I am absolutely losing control and becoming obsessive about nighttime eating. I've discussed this with my surgical team and while that helps, I'm still nowhere near in control of this really, really bad habit. I know it has slowed my weight loss and is the one red flag that, if not controlled, will surely be the reason for regain down the road. Intellectually I recognize this but that doesn't do anything for me when the sun goes down and the drive to eat, eat, eat overpowers me. So I've decided to get professional help with behavior modification by reaching out to psychology practices near me. Which leads me to my rant:

2. Do psych practices near me not want my business? I've left messages with 3 practices. The first was a couple of months ago and the last 2 just this week. Not one office has called me back. What is up with that?

Have you dealt with either situation? What type of professional have you used for behavior modification? Psychiatrist? Psychologist? Licensed professional counselor? Psych nurse practitioner?

First you should not keep unhealthy foods in the house, out of site out of mind. Also if you are truly seeking help from a Psychologist keep calling them or ask for a referral from your surgeon office. Also attended bariatric support groups.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Any eating disorder therapist/counselor. Are you familiar with Geneene Roth? If not Google her and find her website. She speaks about emotional eating, sounds like you are doing this at night. Behavior modification might work for some, someone without emotional ties to food..but personally I don't know who that person is. Maybe someone with really bad habits. I am a food addict. I've been in therapy for years. I don't want to discourage you from traditional therapy, it can definitely help. Food is not the issue, it's a symptom of the underlying feelings that we are afraid of/avoid. This work is deep and can be done. To overcome emotional eating we must meet our feelings. Also Google growing human kindness ..Karly, she has a great blog too that gets at the heart of our food issues. The best thing is you are Aware of your behavior, that is awesome!! Healing does not happen intellectually. It's a heart based healing that will break the addiction cycle. Hope this helps. Okama and this approach isn't for everyone you really have to have an open heart to understand it. I can tell you I'm 40 I've been in therapy since my twenties and have tried anything and this heart based compassion approach where we truly dive into our feelings is the only only thing that feels true and right. I dictate my text please excuse any typos. Good luck to you

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Any eating disorder therapist/counselor. Are you familiar with Geneene Roth? If not Google her and find her website. She speaks about emotional eating, sounds like you are doing this at night. Behavior modification might work for some, someone without emotional ties to food..but personally I don't know who that person is. Maybe someone with really bad habits. I am a food addict. I've been in therapy for years. I don't want to discourage you from traditional therapy, it can definitely help. Food is not the issue, it's a symptom of the underlying feelings that we are afraid of/avoid. This work is deep and can be done. To overcome emotional eating we must meet our feelings. Also Google growing human kindness ..Karly, she has a great blog too that gets at the heart of our food issues. The best thing is you are Aware of your behavior, that is awesome!! Healing does not happen intellectually. It's a heart based healing that will break the addiction cycle. Hope this helps. Okama and this approach isn't for everyone you really have to have an open heart to understand it. I can tell you I'm 40 I've been in therapy since my twenties and have tried anything and this heart based compassion approach where we truly dive into our feelings is the only only thing that feels true and right. I dictate my text please excuse any typos. Good luck to you

Sent from my XT1585 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks for the support and your response. I've taken a look at Geneen Roth and at Growing Human Kindness. Fascinating information there. Maybe that's the direction I need to take...