Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ready...Lets talk pre-op diet

Hey all you TENacious Tens,

I figured that it was about time for us to start thinking, talking about and sharing our pre-op diet stories. My surgery is October 2nd so I start my diet on Tuesday the 18th. I am excited but very nervous about my willpower.

I hear you. My surgery is on Oct. 3, and I start my pre-op diet on Sept. 24. I've really been trying not to think about it too much though. I have started exercising, and cutting back on my portion sizes to get ready for it. I did a hospital supervised liquid diet last summer for 2 months. I had to drink 5 yucky chocolate shakes a day with the occasional Jello and some Soup that they had. Even though the pre-op diet is liquid, it at least has some variety, so I guess I can deal with it.

I don't even know if I have to do a pre-op diet yet. I go back to the surgeon for my pre-op visit on Sept. 19. I guess he will tell me then if I do or not. Hopefully not, because the week before surgery I'm going away with my husband for a very much needed long weekend. But the Surgeon knows this, so maybe if I do have to do a pre-op diet, I only have to do it for a week. I hope so. I've already lost some weight in preparation for this, so maybe he's counting that towards everything.

I just can't wait to get started in band land!

I was a little concerned because my pre-op appt isn't until the 4th, and I'm under the knife on the 11th. I'm going to start a pre-op diet the 24th of September anyway, and I'm gonna need y'all to keep me honest!

Yesterday I started drinking one Protein Shake a day as a Meal Replacement, and was shocked to find that it kept me more satisfied than a regular meal. I had Isopure from GNC (which some people call ISOpuke, but I like it!) and I mixed a scoop of powder with 6 oz milk, 1/2 of a cut up nectarine and 1/2 carton of low-everything yogurt, oh a sprinkle of Splenda too. It was YUMMY and filling, so yummy that I made another one for Breakfast today. I got myself a mini-blender made by Hamilton Beach for $20 on Amazon.com (couldn't affort a Magic Bullet) and it works GREAT! After you wizz up your drink, you just remove the blending container and drink out of it. I also bought a bunch of "samples" of different Protein Drinks from a site called: wlssupplies.com. It's owned by a gal that had RNY surgery. It gave me 70 samples of different brands and flavors of Protein drinks. The cost was $80, but that's for 70 meals so not that bad. Definitely enough for the pre-op week and post-op weeks. The delivery was slow though, I think maybe 3 weeks to arrive in Oregon from Florida. I guess the site has been slammed with so many orders they can't keep up. All of the samples come in these little plastic "jugs" that hold 8 oz, they're reusable, and have a sticker on them telling you the nutritional content and the brand and flavor of the contents. They are all whey protein isolates. I thought it would be a great way to keep from getting bored with the usual "chocolate and vanilla" that you see for most protein supplements. Some of the flavors are: Roadside Lemonade, cool chocolate mint, chocolate Peanut Butter cup, orangesicle, pineapple ectasy, vanilla bean torte, island banana, capuccino, pina colada , etc. They're made by big names in supplements like Syntrax, ISOPURE, Sci-tech, Sci-fit, etc. At first I was mad because the shipment was taking so long, but the website owner (Jennifer) does write you back and update you. When it arrived I was so happy with the variety and convenience of all the "take and run" little jugs. Check it out yourself.

It seems to me that the more "jump start" we can achieve by losing weight before surgery, the better. Besides, this weight loss is permanent, so that inspires me, by making it worthwhile.

Hi everyone, my surgery date is oct 3 and yes I am nervous and excited. I start my liquid diet on sept 19. I need support from all of you lapbanders. marcy:help:

Carrot06

That is my pre-op diet too. I start it this Sept. 21, and surgery is on Oct 5.

I have been keeping between 800 and 1200 calories the last 2 weeks, trying to shrink my stomach, and get in the habit of healthy eating. Saturday, I did go to breakfast with the family and had french toast, but thats the most carbs I've had for a long while.

Thanks everyone for your support.

mandyw my surgery is at Hurley Medical in Flint Mi. Where are you having yours? Are you getting nervous but excited? Keep in touch. marcy:clap2:

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I am so nervous that I will cheat. On the other hand I realized ealier today that today is like my last offical fat day. From here on out, I will be losing weight that will not return. Today marks the end of the old me. The me that I have been for 30 years. (so hard to say goodbye :think) But I will need help becoming the new me. (That's where you all come in)

Wish me luck... :phanvan

SBEE- I know you can do it! That was a great way to think about starting the pre-op diet. It means it is the start of the weight coming off forever and a new beginning!

:whoo:

Hello Everybody! I am having mine done on October 26th and I am already having anxiety attacks about starving to death lol. I have never tried to go with out food before. I have never really took dieting serious. I go on a diet for 2 weeks lose 10 punds and put 15 back on. I am both nervous and excited about a permanent soluttion to a lifetime problem. Oh yeah and then to quit smoking? OMG:eek:

Wow, it's a small world. I am from Caldwell, Id, and we have to travel about 5 hours to all the appointments. A friend I work with and I have been doing this together, so we have carpooled to the seminar and pro-op teaching and appointments.

My friend had her surgery today with Dr. Chamberlain. I haven't heard from her yet, but I will let you know how she and I do. I'm sure I will be up to posting within a day or 2 of my surgery.

I know what you mean about having a short time to eat all your favorites, but I also know that whatever junk I eat now, I will have to just take back off again, and losing weight is hard work...Is it really worth that cookie. (or whatever).

Also I try to keep in mind that after the 2 week pre-op diet, the 3 weeks of liquids, and a few weeks getting used to solid foods, I will most likely be able to eat small amounts of things that I normally eat. Especially once I get down to a healthy weight. I think all our hard work will be so worth it in the end. And as the saying goes, "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels." I'm hoping to find our if that is true!

Sorry this is so long. Keep up the good work everyone

Hey Everyone!

My band date is October 2nd, so I will be starting my pre-op diet on the 24th. Basically I'll have the same diet the week before and the week after surgery: liquids. Then liquids/purees for 3 weeks. This is going to be tough, but I know I'm up for it!

I ordered 3 kinds of whey Protein powders that were recommended by a friend I work with. I got chocolate, vanilla and Unflavored, so between the three of those I figure I should be able to add Protein to just about everything. I'll let everyone know if these are good or if they taste like crap!

For about the last 2 months for Breakfast I've been having a smoothie (get a Magic Bullet blender, they're awesome!) with milk, 1 scoop chocolate slim fast, a banana and a handful of mini ice cubes. Sometimes I'll add a scoop of Peanut Butter too. So fast and easy and really yummy!!

Ive been collecting tips from people here on LBT for weeks so that I have a good variety of things to choose from during the liquid/puree stage, because I know broth will get really old really fast. Anything fabulous I try I'll pass it on, we need to stick together, right?!!!!!

I started my liquid diet on 9/17.

I am allowed:

5 slimfast optima shakes per day

2 cups veggies

Water

2 cups regular coffee, then switch to Decaf - with skim milk and splenda

beef/chicken broth

sugar free ice pops

sugar free Jello

any other drink that is diet/caffiene free

3 oz. of lean Protein (chicken or fish or 3 egg whites)

So far I've been good, I have not cheated once!