Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my goal weight achievable?

I am having surgery March 11 and at the moment have decided on the sleeve. However, I am 5'3 and 320 lbs with a goal weight of 160 lbs. Part of me wants to go with RNY because I'm worried about not being able to hit goal without the malnutrition aspect. Anyone have any advice or words of wisdom. This is such a huge decision and I want to make sure I am making the right one.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

It doesn't matter which surgery you have to lose the weight. They have the same effectiveness at the 2 year point. I am almost 16 months post op from the sleeve and i have lost 170 pounds. So yes you can lose 160 pounds with the sleeve.

You are going to be the one that has to take it all the way home. The surgery itself isn't going to get you all the way there. The sleeve doesn't create long-term malabsorption issues, which in my view is a positive because that is only really valuable while you are losing weight. After that, it will become a hinderance. The sleeve will create a serious restriction and help you re-learn how to eat, and create a new relationship with food. That's critical if you're going to reach your goal.

At 5'3" I think you'll find most BMI/weight scales would still classify you as overweight at 160lbs. You'd be looking more at 130-140 to be a "normal" BMI/weight. Totally do-able, but you have to be prepared for the fact that it's going to require you to master your diet, get consistent with exercise, and really be disciplined. The surgery isn't a magic bullet.

I agree with both posters but wanted to add that I chose the sleeve because it maintains normal anatomy.

In fact I backed out of getting a lap band several years ago because I was worried about a foreign object because of a preexisting autoimmunity problem and seeing how many people are having them revised I am glad I waited. I am not sure the vertical sleeve was an option, I was offered an RNY . Maybe I had other more pressing medical problems.

Anything is possible, as long as you put in the work! Keep in mind there's more to consider when choosing between sleeve and RNY than amount/rate of weight loss. I initially wanted the sleeve, but through my pre-op testing I found out I had GERD and Barrett's esophagus. That left me with RNY as the only option.

I had surgery on 3/14/15, I'm 5'2 with a SW of 261. Currently weighing in at 149 in less than 8 months! It's true that regardless of the surgery you choose you have to put in the work. This last 30lbs is a beast to lose, my tool only helps me get closer to goal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App

Like others mentioned, getting to and staying at goal is pretty much up to you and the choices you make, not the type of surgery you have. In my support group, I saw just as many people struggle to lose with bypass as with sleeve. The ones struggling all had one thing in common....their eating habits. Same goes for the ones that found success.....different eating habits.

I'm 5'4", started at 295, lost 160ish pounds and maintain around 135 pounds with my sleeve. There are pros and cons to all WLSs, but whether you may or may not reach a goal weight should not be a deciding factor, cause it's not.

And to answer your original question, yes, your goal weight is very achievable!

Edited by Dairymary

I had my surgery weighing 338 lbs. and I'm about your height. I will lose all my excess weight. I'm in control and determined. My new stomach will help me because I'm not hungry and I fill up quickly. It is my choice to easy properly and exercise. My surgery as mid October. By March 11th when you have your surgery I will be 5 months in and hopefully a lot lighter.

Yes it is very possible with the sleeve you just have to put in the work. I am 5"5' and below are my stats:

Heaviest weight 376 in 2011

Surgery weight 319 on 9/28/15

Current weight 155