Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not telling anyone. What do you say?

I was sleeved on November 7th. I was very fourth coming about what I was doing and I regret it the slightest bit. My second day back at work someone came up to me and said "Wow, Cassy I don't think that surgery worked for you! I can't tell a difference." I am a confident women and of course smiled and said "Well. Have you ever been on a diet and witnessed an absolute transformation in a mere 26 days? It's going to take some time. It's a lifestyle change not an instant fix." HOWEVER internally it hurt my feelings very deeply because I don't think anyone has the slightest idea what it takes to commit to a total life style change and how hard I've been working. I guess I was the source of many conversations when I was gone conversations that went something like "Well why can't she just exercise?" All and all. People are rude. Regardless of if you let them in on your secrets or not I have a strong feeling those types are going to be rude anyways- and that's okay! That's on them. I read from a poster recently that an overweight women kept on going to to gym and really stuck to it and when she felt judged or belittled she would repeat to herself "Just wait." Until one day she was the one teaching these folks in a fitness class. This has become my new mantra. At the end of the day this is all about YOU. Regardless of who knows and who doesn't now or later, acknowledge you let yourself feel worthy enough to make a massive change to better your quality of life. The only one that needs to be rooting for you is YOU. I hope your doing well and your body and soul is healing! You deserve it. :)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The people I specifically told ahead of surgery are: my spouse, our three best friends, my in-laws, my family. I wasn't planning on telling anyone else simply because it's none of their business. All have been supportive, though truthfully it doesn't matter if they support me or not; I'm doing what's best for me and if they didn't like it, they can lump it.

However, I have told a few other people... I told my pharmacist when she asked why I needed Lortab (liqui d Vicodin) instead of hydrocodone (generic Vicodin pills). I also told a colleague I had shared my insurance frustrations with, after which she guessed it was bariatric surgery - turns out she had a band placed two years ago and is looking at a conversion.

But other than that, I'm a private person. It's really nobody's business but your own, and I'm not the attention wh0re type that needs to tell everyone about every happening in their life because they pathologically can't shut the hell up for five seconds (the Twatter/Facebook personality type...).

Edited by Fredbear

Been in and out of hospital for so many operations over the last 28 years that another visit wasn't even commented on. They didn't ask and I didn't tell.

Only one person knew why I went in and that was the person closest to me.

My body, my health, my business....

Not being nasty to anyone but it was need to know and they didn't

I was sleeves on 11/7...I told my best friend, husband, mom and brother. I struggled with who to tell what. I needed time off work and although it wasn't an issue getting the time, I didn't want to lie, but was a bit embarrassed to tell the truth. In the end I was honest with my boss. I told him it was a personal decision and I didn't want it to be office chatter. (I work in a very small office) he understood and was really supportive. After my surgery I basically shared it with whoever. It is what it is. It was the best decision for me and if someone isn't happy for me then that's their problem.

Hmm, maybe I would have been quite too if I had seen some of the behaviors of people described in this thread. But I already knew and saw people's reactions to other Co workers who had had the surgery almost 20 years ago and more recent. It appeared to be more positive than the behavior of others described in this thread.

So sad... and makes me open my eyes to how and what I say. I am a recovering critical person. I hate that about myself and strive my best to keep myself out of the gutter.

Lol. One of the nurses said Happy Birthday to me while recovering in the hospital, I looked at her puzzled, she said, you have a new birth date! And I do! I was feeling pretty miserable as a respiratory thing that had started to rear its head before surgery had become worse and I was stuck on oxygen and no one could tell me why. Still haven't been able to.

But they're right... amazing how much some one else's words can affect another.

DS performed 11/28/16. SW/HW 380 lbs.

I had a hernia repair as well so i just say that. Most people dont really care lol. After hiatal hernia you have to be on special diet so that accounts for about everything. But the truth is if we don't eat right and move we won't lose so saying diet and movement is the truth.

Amen! I'm having my hiatal hernia repaired too, so my answer is same as yours

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Since I am just starting on this transition, and I have a few months before I will have the actual surgery date, I have already started watching what I eat, so if I lose some weight before my surgery, then it wont matter much when I start to "look" like after I have actually lost some weight.

I have no intention of telling anyone about my "transition" I feel its no nones business, as many have stated I to am a very private person and I have told no one of my plans except my daughter, my brother and mother... who are all supportive.

There are no right or wrong answers to this question it a PERSONAL decision and that's that!