Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like such a failure...

I had my sleeve surgery Jan 14, compared to others only lost 100lbs so already felt like a failure, now in the last 8 mths have put on 20lbs and just don't know where to start to head back in the right direction. I feel so alone and depressed but know I don't want to go back to my pre surgery weight. Is this my fault - absolutely it is.. Although I still have great restriction I sometimes don't eat the right foods and thus weight gain.. Any advise on a good starting point to get back on track would be most appreciated.. Many thanks

I had RNY gastric bypass surgery 3 years ago and this is my approach to the maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I would not say losing "only" 100 pounds was a failure! Regardless of your initial weight, losing 100 pounds will have a huge impact on your health. The same is true for the net 80 pounds you have lost, including your regain.

As far as a starting place to get back on track with weight loss, have you tried going back to your post-op diet? You could do one day of Clear liquids to cleanse your system and then do a week of Protein shakes to reset your diet. Then go on to very structured meals like you did after surgery: eating 2 ounces of Protein, then 2 ounces of non-starchy vegetables, then 2 ounces of fruit. If you are still hungry, you can have 2 ounces of healthy carbs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I had my sleeve surgery Jan 14, compared to others only lost 100lbs so already felt like a failure, now in the last 8 mths have put on 20lbs and just don't know where to start to head back in the right direction. I feel so alone and depressed but know I don't want to go back to my pre surgery weight. Is this my fault - absolutely it is.. Although I still have great restriction I sometimes don't eat the right foods and thus weight gain.. Any advise on a good starting point to get back on track would be most appreciated.. Many thanks

First and foremost, I strongly believe in the idea that we are what we think we are, so the negative self talk has GOT to go. You are a successful WLS patient who has fallen off the wagon a bit.

A failure is someone who quits, refusing to try again. You regained only 20 pounds and you are back. You could have waited until you had regained 40, 60, 100, or 100+ or you could have thrown in the towel all together.

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE.

Go back to your surgeon and see what he/she recommends. Go back to your pre-op diet for a week or two. Go back to liquids for a week or two. Start weighing/measuring/tracking your food and move your ass a little more than normal. You can totally do this.

You are not a failure until you stop trying. You don't sound like a failure to me at all.

@@Unhappysleever

Gains can happen to any of us. Get rid of the feeling of shame. Forgive yourself. This is just a set back. You have a fresh start. You lost 100 pounds. You can defiantly lose 20.

Time to get back on the horse. Go back to your bariatric diet, exercise, Water and tracking food.

We are here to cheer you on.

First and foremost, I strongly believe in the idea that we are what we think we are, so the negative self talk has GOT to go. You are a successful WLS patient who has fallen off the wagon a bit.

A failure is someone who quits, refusing to try again. You regained only 20 pounds and you are back. You could have waited until you had regained 40, 60, 100, or 100+ or you could have thrown in the towel all together.

YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE.

Go back to your surgeon and see what he/she recommends. Go back to your pre-op diet for a week or two. Go back to liquids for a week or two. Start weighing/measuring/tracking your food and move your ass a little more than normal. You can totally do this.

You are not a failure until you stop trying. You don't sound like a failure to me at all.

@@LipstickLady I unliked this so I could like it twice!

As the others have said, "only losing 100 pounds" does not make you a failure, and having put on 20 pounds, during your 3rd year post-op is very easy. I had surgery in Sep 2013 and every single day I need to weigh myself and be aware of what I'm eating or I gain very quickly. The third year is more difficult- I no longer have the same restriction and can eat a lot more than I used to be able to. I imagine the same might be true for you. I started gaining weight in October 2015 and it took me about 2 months to lose the few pounds I had added. 20 pounds is not the end of the world, although I understand it feels like it. You can absolutely recover from that small amount of gain- it just takes consistent, daily attention.

99.9% of us have regain. Taking off 100 pounds is easier than taking off 20 pounds of rebound. It all comes down to counting calories after the honeymoon of easy weight loss right after surgery.

By no way are you a FAILURE!! Think back to how you used to be. Gain lose gain throw in the towel etc. You know you have gained but did you say NOPE I'M DONE? No, you did not, You are a winner!! You want to lose that regain!! You can and you will lose it. WHY, because you already know you can!!! Good luck

Great comments on this thread :D.

You're not a failure, a failure would not log in and tell their story, nor would they even try to figure out how to get back on track. They say nothing, and do nothing.

Thank you all so much I appreciate every single one of you for your support... Xx

Regain is such a hard thing to deal with and the time has come for me not to give up and head in the right direction..

Thank you all so much I appreciate every single one of you for your support... Xx

Regain is such a hard thing to deal with and the time has come for me not to give up and head in the right direction..

You can do this. I believe in you. YOU have to believe in you, too.

Yeah. What they said!!!

Now go for it!!!!

We've got your back!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The good thing about life is that there is almost always a second chance. Get up, dust yourself off, and get back to the basics and that regained weight will be off before you know it.

Good luck!