Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting second thoughts

Hey everyone, I am scheduled for the sleeve surgery in December. I have been struggling for over 10 years trying to lose this weight. My highest weight was 250.. I am currently 244... I have been so excited to make this healthy change in my life. Most people around me are so negative. You're not big enough, you can do this on your own, you are to strong to give up like this, I know someone that knows someone it didn't go well... I try not to let it get to me. But as I lay here awake at 3am when I'm supposed to be asleep. I have to admit I'm very afraid and wondering if I'm doing the right thing...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by elisa_rose

Best of luck you will do just fine. I had my wife and mom telling me for 3 years how crazy to get surgery when all I have to do is shut my mouth meanwhile another 75lbs I gained in 3 years. I'm doing it this time.

Good luck go with your heart.

Sent from my Bat Phone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by BigJohn58

I've had second thoughts for about 6-7 years now I been going back and forth on if I should get surgery if not. 7 years later about 50lbs heavier in going in finally on Monday and I wish I would have done it 7 years ago. Good luck

About a year ago when I was first researching I mentioned it to a few people and heard the EXACT same thing. "You're not THAT fat", or "That's so extreme, you don't need that", "Don't give up on yourself like that".

I think it's totally normal to have reservations. When I finally decided to push forward with the surgery I only told one person besides my husband. People have uninformed opinions about weight loss surgery. Also, I almost completely backed out the night before, I think it's so normal that it's almost part of the process.

You'll be fine, don't worry!

About a year ago when I was first researching I mentioned it to a few people and heard the EXACT same thing. "You're not THAT fat", or "That's so extreme, you don't need that", "Don't give up on yourself like that".

I think it's totally normal to have reservations. When I finally decided to push forward with the surgery I only told one person besides my husband. People have uninformed opinions about weight loss surgery. Also, I almost completely backed out the night before, I think it's so normal that it's almost part of the process.

You'll be fine, don't worry!

Thank you! That really helped. I shouldn't have told so many people. I have been thinking about this for years. I know it's the right thing for me. Thank you for you encouraging words;)

Hi...I just had surgery 0n 10/5. Everyone in my group that has had surgery is doing well, but I'm not. I've been sick, can't eat, feel naseaus all the time and the truth is....this is the HARDEST thing you'll ever do in your life. I prepared for 2 years as well, but nothing can prepare you for things that might happen. I like the weight loss, but if I weighed the pros and cons right now I wish I never had the surgery.???? I feel awful a lot of the time and I can't even take in Water without feeling sick. It sucks. I want to be able to eat/drink normally but I cant (although I never did eat normally) I know it hasn't been that long so I try to keep a positive attitude, but it's hard. I don't even care when people tell me how good I look. I'm taking it a day at a time, but it's ok if your not sure. If your happy with yourself at the weight you are now, I'd say don't do it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

Hi.......this is the HARDEST thing you'll ever do in your life. If your happy with yourself at the weight you are now, I'd say don't do it.

This was your experience. It was definitely not the hardest thing I've ever done and I don't think most people have as much trouble as you have so it might be irresponsible to recommend to others that they not have surgery. I also doubt anyone on this board is/was happy with their weight or else why even consider it?

My recovery was no big deal and I've always been able to get down Protein and Water since day 3 and tolerated every food I've tried. My laparoscopic hysterectomy was worse. The first few days suck, but that's any surgery. It's not easy when we're still adjusting to the new diet and lifestyle but for me it has completely changed my relationship with food and finally made it easy for me to not pig out on garbage.

Also, @@grasseschic from your previous posts it looks like you did fine for the first 4 weeks and then had a setback when you got a stomach virus.

I'm so glad I had mine , I find some people do have buyer remorse but believe me that goes away. I'm only 5 weeks out and I haven't regretted it one bit. Don't listen to people around you that have never been through it. Its the most useful tool a food addict can have : )

That's true. I'm looking for support not condemnation

I'm not condemning you, I'm just saying that if you read these boards and see most of the stories, serious problems are unusual. Most people get through recovery and even if they have a few setbacks end up doing just fine. I'm sorry you're having a hard time right now and I'm sure you're feeling regret while you're in pain and having trouble eating, but that will certainly pass at some point. I just don't want others who could have a life changing (and maybe life saving) surgery to be scared out of it by stories from people who are currently having a hard time. I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you so much for helping me to see the reality. Your right...it was just a set back. Today I was able to eat an egg w/cheese for lunch and 2 ounces of chicken for supper. I'm feeling a little better and I'm glad you helped me to see that I made the right decision.