Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slowing weight loss on purpose?

I am thinking of adding 100 calories a day, see if there is a change...if so, I'll eventually add another 100, but I see my dr in a couple weeks, so I'll check in with him and my NUT. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

Have had numerous surgeries with anesthesia, and no Hair loss, IMHO anesthesia does not cause hair loss.

Have had numerous surgeries with anesthesia, and no Hair loss, IMHO anesthesia does not cause hair loss.

I've never lost hair following anesthesia until this surgery. I'm not sure if it's a combo of things but I had a pillow full of hair in the hospital. The CNA even mentioned it. :-(

Have had numerous surgeries with anesthesia, and no hair loss, IMHO anesthesia does not cause Hair loss.< /p>

I've never lost hair following anesthesia until this surgery. I'm not sure if it's a combo of things but I had a pillow full of hair in the hospital. The CNA even mentioned it. :-(

Wow, I never notified any til five months out! I hope yours is really thick!

Have had numerous surgeries with anesthesia, and no hair loss, IMHO anesthesia does not cause hair loss.

Wow, I never noticed any til five months out! I hope yours is really thick!

This is a false statement.

I ate Protein up the wazoo (80 grams a day) and still lost hair. It's a combination of several things to do with the surgery, and almost impossible to prevent.

False statement? I hate to sound mean, but you have a reading comprehension problem. I never said there weren't other causes, I just mentioned that a lack of Protein can cause problems. Instead of calling me a liar, you might do some web searches on the subject of Hair loss and protein. How your body reacts to surgery relates to your case, but their are others who would have done better had they followed the recommended diet plans.

So you want to put the blame of hair loss on the poor, unsuspecting newbie to WLS by telling then it's all their fault their hair is falling out? Poppycock.

I never called you a liar, and was just pointing out that eating all your protein like a good little patient will NOT prevent hair loss. That is a true statement.

I've been on this forum for almost 2.5 years. I've seen hundreds of post about hair loss. And I've yet to see one that said they didn't lose hair because they ate all their protien. Most people lose hair for several reasons, and unfortunately there isn't squat we can do about it. Minimize it maybe, but not prevent it.

I have been averaging between 600 and 700 cals on soft foods. Ive lost 16lbs in the 3 weeks since surgery. Should i up my calories?

HW 385 SW 359 CW 344 Sleeved 10/5/16

I started losing my hair when I was around 4 months out. I really didn't have much to lose. I had strictures so I suffered with barely enough Protein or fluids. This started right around my 6th week. But I thought t was just myself learning my new full pouch. I had my first Endo in Nov 2013 (my RNY was July 2, 2013) again in DEC 2013, Jan 2014, July 2014 with my last being Jan of 2015. Thank Goodness nothing so far. I was very thin to start and I lost it up until my 9th month. I started washing my hair less ofter started taking HAIR SKIN AND NAILS ( I know some say it doesn't help but it sure did for me) I also take SELENIUM along with my other Vitamins. I started using a Shampoo I bought online for thinning hair. All of these things have helped my hair so much. It came back in curlier than before. I have all kinds of new Hair growth, even my hairdresser commented on it. My sister in law thought I got a perm. NOPE, just more hair. I keep it cut short due to the back looking like I have a mullet. LOL Yes there are many things that contribute to Hair loss but I feel like I will try anything and I do mean anything to have healthy hair again. Diet, medications, and Menopause all contribute to hair loss.

Protein goals- met and surpassed daily.

Weight loss- on flipping track as well- 7 mos out, 15-20 lbs from goal

Vitamins? You betcha

hair loss?

Like a MOFO

Grateful I had too much to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@Babbs you are right on Protein and hair loss...a good hunk of it is hormones...http://www.americanhairloss.org/women_hair_loss/causes_of_hair_loss.asp.

And when you are losing fat, those bad boys and girls do all sorts of odd things. All you can do is stick to the program. I lost a great deal of hair during that phase, thankfully it came back when everything stabilized. Only difference...its now kind of wavy, and no one knows why.

This is a false statement.

I ate Protein up the wazoo (80 grams a day) and still lost hair. It's a combination of several things to do with the surgery, and almost impossible to prevent.

False statement? I hate to sound mean, but you have a reading comprehension problem. I never said there weren't other causes, I just mentioned that a lack of Protein can cause problems. Instead of calling me a liar, you might do some web searches on the subject of Hair loss and protein. How your body reacts to surgery relates to your case, but their are others who would have done better had they followed the recommended diet plans.

Who called you a liar? And personal attacks? Seriously?

I guess it's a good thing I don't have much hair to begin with. After I finish losing all my weight, I told my partner (only half jokingly) that I was either going to have one of those hair transplants, or go full-on Mr. Clean with a beard (minus the earring)! :-)

hair loss is often caused by a lack of adequate protein! It is hard to keep Protein above 70 grams a day on low calorie diets unless one eats a lot of turkey, chicken or fish.

Disagree. I got in all my Protein and still lost gobs of hair. Happened with WWs, happened with Jenny, happened with the sleeve. The only time I didn't lost a ton of hair was when I did Atkins, no carb, high fat.

And the only way one can keep high protein and low cals is with turkey, chicken or fish? Tell that to all the vegetarian sleevers out there who are successful. ;)

No. If you are averaging 5 pounds a week there is no reason at all to change anything that you're doing. That is an awesome pace.

I have been averaging between 600 and 700 cals on soft foods. Ive lost 16lbs in the 3 weeks since surgery. Should i up my calories?

if you are losing with that amount i would not change until you see the loss sliding or you go into a stall. That's how i did it. When I hit a week long stall, I went increasing my calories & Protein and lowered my carbs. This broke the stall. I'm 7 weeks out and my goal is about 100 Protein and less than 30 carbs. I do track calories but don't have them as my main focus. I am averaging between 900 and 1000 and am losing about 2 lbs per week. I am also taking at least 6,000 steps a day with a goal of 10,000 daily. Good luck and I hope this helps some.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Have had numerous surgeries with anesthesia, and no hair loss, IMHO anesthesia does not cause Hair loss.< /p>

There are scientific studies that outweigh your opinion, LOL! It maybe true for you, but I lost hair after my gallbladder surgery and after a kidney surgery in addition to my WLS and Plastics.

Telogen Effluvium is a real scientific thing. Doctors have studied it. Just because it doesn't happen to YOU does not mean hair loss doesn't happen with anesthesia.