Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you vets completely ignore this rule?

@@ButterflywarriorI didn't notice that but even if I had, I'm the type of person that Chinese in with information obtained from otgers via research, medical professionals, and other vets I've encountered if I believe the info will be useful or helpful

Maybe this is what another poster newbie met when they said they felt unwelcome here especially I'd your new. I was so surprised by that bx ppl have been so friendly and nice here until now but seems it is a bit separatist or some unwritten rule if don't answer if a vet is requested or newbies know nothing sure um being extremely I hope...

You're right! Thank you for enlightening me! You're pre op and struggling with sticking to your diet (per your previous posts). You definitely have a lot to add to MY experience. :D

your support and encouragement are greatly appreciated... still doesn't mean I know nothing about diet soda, carbonation and so on...still doesn't mean I have nothing of value to add.. just bc you are able to drink sugar free soda wo effects doesn't make it good for you and going back looking for a weak post I wrote to pick on and use against be is beyond immature as well as appalling to me. Sure I can get upset and not like what someone says but not going to go look for things there struggling with to bring them down

Wow

O/P specifically asked for the experience of vets. So, there's that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using the BariatricPal App

@@ButterflywarriorI didn't notice that but even if I had, I'm the type of person that Chinese in with information obtained from otgers via research, medical professionals, and other vets I've encountered if I believe the info will be useful or helpful

Maybe this is what another poster newbie met when they said they felt unwelcome here especially I'd your new. I was so surprised by that bx ppl have been so friendly and nice here until now but seems it is a bit separatist or some unwritten rule if don't answer if a vet is requested or newbies know nothing sure um being extremely I hope...

You're right! Thank you for enlightening me! You're pre op and struggling with sticking to your diet (per your previous posts). You definitely have a lot to add to MY experience. :D

your support and encouragement are greatly appreciated... still doesn't mean I know nothing about diet soda, carbonation and so on...still doesn't mean I have nothing of value to add.. just bc you are able to drink sugar free soda wo effects doesn't make it good for you and going back looking for a weak post I wrote to pick on and use against be is beyond immature as well as appalling to me. Sure I can get upset and not like what someone says but not going to go look for things there struggling with to bring them down

Wow

Well, actions have consequences. If you choose to ignore what the o/p requested just to hear your own voice, expect to receive flak.

BTW, I'm a newbie and have not encountered any unfriendliness here. But I also don't speak unless asked something that I have personal experience with. Stick around and try that. I bet you'll get tons of great advice and support.

OK hers' the thing. I reached my first year surgery anniversary yesterday. I'm a very happy sleeper. Nearly at goal weight (last bit is soooo hard to shift), my hair didn't fall out, didn't take Vitamins, I exercise as befits my age (60) by walking five miles per day and doing two ballet classes per week (even though my right hip was replaced two years ago) plus swimming at least half a mile twice weekly. I DO NOT eat processed food of any description...............well, ummmmmm, wellllllll.......OK maybe the odd Coke (normal or diet) and heaven forbid, through a straw!!!!! Yum! I have it as a treat and love every slurp of it. I have yet to blow myself up.

Shortly after my surgery I noticed a post on this site recommending a book called 'The Diet Myth' which I bought on Amazon. Having read it and learned a lot that debunks previous received 'wisdom' about diet, I have continued to read other publications which I have found enormously helpful in my understanding of how this old corpse of mine functions. The one thing that all the books are in agreement about is the fact that whatever form of artificial sweetener you use, it will stimulate insulin production in exactly the same way as sugar. So, to satiate my sweet tooth, I just occasionally indulge that tooth by having honey, (even that cannot be called completely natural as it has been through mechanical processes to extract the golden liquid from it's waxy home). I also use raw, unprocessed sugars when I do need to sweeten something when honey just won't cut it.

My other nutritional helper at the moment is kefir, both the milk and Water versions. I make my own and have even got my sceptical husband drinking both every day. Personally, I am feeling the benefits and I haven't gained weight since starting to drink the stuff (a couple of months now) and the natural carbonation in it hasn't upset my sleeve. I make a smoothie to various recipes with the milk kefir every morning and I love it. Lots of good things in it which I can't be arsed to list here as I'm sure anyone who is interested can Google it.

So, the long and the short of it, as a junior, apprentice vet I did as I was told immediately post op but I decided that a bit of self education would do me no harm. More importantly, I read all the threads and posts that the vets were involved with and I learned from them and their wealth of experience. There was plenty of absolute balderdash spouted by pre-op and post op newbies which I (wisely it appears) chose to ignore in my early days.

Stick with the vets and take their advice. After all, how many of them are walking around back at, or on their way back, to their original weights? If you read their posts you will discover that not only have they had surgery but they have also used their brains, followed their own advice and kept the lard off.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Wow

I didn't notice however I didn't realize that newbies aren't supposed to respond even if they have worthwhile information to add..

Now I'm starting to the post that said they felt unwelcome here in the boards as a new person...

Wow

Oh somehow my post didn't show me I posted so I reposted....oh well my bad

Wow

Wow

Well, actions have consequences. If you choose to ignore what the o/p requested just to hear your own voice, expect to receive flak.

BTW, I'm a newbie and have not encountered any unfriendliness here. But I also don't speak unless asked something that I have personal experience with. Stick around and try that. I bet you'll get tons of great advice and support.

I wouldn't mind "flack' from the original poster but that's not what happened

Also, you take my intentions wrong...I don't write lots to hear my own voice....I was genuinely writing out what I have read, heard, been told and so on to help the readers cone to their decisions.... it wasn't to be smug or etc..I'm not like that

Just the same ...chiding a bit about a difference in opinion or break in order is different then insulting someone's personal struggle... no matter what that's uncalled for to me

OK hers' the thing. I reached my first year surgery anniversary yesterday. I'm a very happy sleeper. Nearly at goal weight (last bit is soooo hard to shift), my hair didn't fall out, didn't take Vitamins, I exercise as befits my age (60) by walking five miles per day and doing two ballet classes per week (even though my right hip was replaced two years ago) plus swimming at least half a mile twice weekly. I DO NOT eat processed food of any description...............well, ummmmmm, wellllllll.......OK maybe the odd Coke (normal or diet) and heaven forbid, through a straw!!!!! Yum! I have it as a treat and love every slurp of it. I have yet to blow myself up.

Shortly after my surgery I noticed a post on this site recommending a book called 'The Diet Myth' which I bought on Amazon. Having read it and learned a lot that debunks previous received 'wisdom' about diet, I have continued to read other publications which I have found enormously helpful in my understanding of how this old corpse of mine functions. The one thing that all the books are in agreement about is the fact that whatever form of artificial sweetener you use, it will stimulate insulin production in exactly the same way as sugar. So, to satiate my sweet tooth, I just occasionally indulge that tooth by having honey, (even that cannot be called completely natural as it has been through mechanical processes to extract the golden liquid from it's waxy home). I also use raw, unprocessed sugars when I do need to sweeten something when honey just won't cut it.

My other nutritional helper at the moment is kefir, both the milk and Water versions. I make my own and have even got my sceptical husband drinking both every day. Personally, I am feeling the benefits and I haven't gained weight since starting to drink the stuff (a couple of months now) and the natural carbonation in it hasn't upset my sleeve. I make a smoothie to various recipes with the milk kefir every morning and I love it. Lots of good things in it which I can't be arsed to list here as I'm sure anyone who is interested can Google it.

So, the long and the short of it, as a junior, apprentice vet I did as I was told immediately post op but I decided that a bit of self education would do me no harm. More importantly, I read all the threads and posts that the vets were involved with and I learned from them and their wealth of experience. There was plenty of absolute balderdash spouted by pre-op and post op newbies which I (wisely it appears) chose to ignore in my early days.

Stick with the vets and take their advice. After all, how many of them are walking around back at, or on their way back, to their original weights? If you read their posts you will discover that not only have they had surgery but they have also used their brains, followed their own advice and kept the lard off.

so even though you are backhandedly slapping me for my newbie advice, one of the things I posted in my statement was exactly what you said about insulin production

But ya know I'm a pre op newbie, I apparently kniw nothing...

I'm very disappointed with the extreme pride here...I thought this was a safe community where everyone struggling was welcome to share

Everyone have a wonderful Saturday!

@@Butterflywarrior

Wow

I never said you know nothing, nor did I say you have no value. Don't put words in my mouth, please. I simply said you know nothing about MY experience or what's best for ME.

And yes, it absolutely makes sense to look at someone's history to judge their base of knowledge. I didn't trust my first surgeon because he was morbidly obese. I wouldn't go to a tattoo artist with horrible ink. I won't let someone cut my hair who had a bad portfolio. And yes, I'd rather take dietary advice from someone who isn't at the initial stages and struggling. Again, that's just me. :)

I'm three and a half years out, I've been maintaining for two and a half years and drink Coke Zero (from a straw!!) regularly. I can't drink it from a can or from bottle, but I do drink it poured over ice.

It doesn't stretch (MY) sleeve. I don't feel gassy or bloated. It hasn't caused weight gain or cravings. There is really no difference between Coke Zero and Crystal Light besides carbonation, IMO.

I waited until my doctor ok'd it. I was at least six or nine months out before I had any. For me, it wasn't a "rule".

I'm three and a half years out, I've been maintaining for two and a half years and drink Coke Zero (from a straw!!) regularly. I can't drink it from a can or from bottle, but I do drink it poured over ice.

It doesn't stretch (MY) sleeve. I don't feel gassy or bloated. It hasn't caused weight gain or cravings. There is really no difference between Coke Zero and Crystal Light besides carbonation, IMO.

I waited until my doctor ok'd it. I was at least six or nine months out before I had any. For me, it wasn't a "rule".

from what I've been told the carbonation is more the potential problem then anything....

Also if you so compare it to crystal light, it really depends bc there's crystal light pure made with truvia which is stevia a natural sweet plant not artificial sweetener

Although the truvia is combined with a tiny bit if sugar alcohol which I learned also makes me sick but that's another topic

One thing to consider though is that research has illustrated that sugar vs sugar free drinks both stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin bc tge body takes it all as sugar period...

It just seems ur doing urself a disservice by drinking si called chemical filled drinks, sodas etc but if nothing else is good enough or works.. idk...it is ur body

Doc told me carbonation will stretch the sleeve.

No, it won't. My sleeve isn't stretched.

from what I've been told the carbonation is more the potential problem then anything....

Also if you so compare it to crystal light, it really depends bc there's crystal light pure made with truvia which is stevia a natural sweet plant not artificial sweetener

Although the truvia is combined with a tiny bit if sugar alcohol which I learned also makes me sick but that's another topic

One thing to consider though is that research has illustrated that sugar vs sugar free drinks both stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin bc tge body takes it all as sugar period...

It just seems ur doing urself a disservice by drinking si called chemical filled drinks, sodas etc but if nothing else is good enough or works.. idk...it is ur body

You realize you're talking to a 3.5 year veteran of the surgery who has lost all of her excess weight AND kept it off?

I think she's got this.

yeh cause being a vet and keeping it off means you know everything and a newbie can have nothing helpful to add ...ok

I didn't notice however I didn't realize that newbies aren't supposed to respond even if they have worthwhile information to add..

Now I'm starting to the post that said they felt unwelcome here in the boards as a new person...

Wow

Here's MY issue. I answered the OP's question and very specifically gave MY experience, NOT general advice. You came in and told me I was wrong, was doing a "disservice" to myself, etc. Clearly I'm not from the numbers on the scale and I reiterated that. AGAIN, I only spoke to MY experience -- no one else's.

I didn't speak to yours until you started questioning mine. No one said you were unwelcome, had no value, know nothing, etc. You said all that, that's YOUR baggage.

Newbies are great! They have lots of great questions, information, ways of thinking... That said, to tell me I'm wrong when what I'm doing is clearly working for me is amusing at best.

I'm an expert on no one but me and I say so in my signature. Not accepting YOU as an expert on me doesn't make me a monster, it makes me happily accountable for myself.

;)

There is a lot of science now that is demonstrating links to obesity not just in sugared soda, but also diet. It creates chemical changes in your gut and hormonal changes that contribute to weight gain. I'm a lifelong Coke addict and I swore of soda completely. I would recommend you do the same.

The point of getting this surgery is to make a permanent change. That has to include mental changes and if you think you'll just eventually go back to how you used to do things, you'll gain weight back. Commit to change. Let go of the soda. Just my two cents, I know I'm not a veteran but I DO read a lot. :)

I completely and wholeheartedly appreciate reading and research. I did/do a lot of it myself. BUT! If there's one thing I've learned about diet and weight loss, rarely is any ONE'S experience textbook.

Let's think about all the diets that were thought to be revolutionary and turned out to be pure bunk. Let's talk about the way the FDA keeps changing the food pyramid and recommended daily allowances. Let's talk about food manufacturing trends like making everything fat free but hiking up the sugar content and how that worked out.

A lot of that reading/research/following the rules is what made me obese and a classic yo yo dieter in the first place.

Please note in MY initial post in this thread, I ONLY spoke of my experience. I did not recommend ANYTHING to the OP. My journey is no one else's. Artificial sugar does not lead to sugar cravings FOR ME. I am NOT gaining weight because I drink Coke Zero daily.

I absolutely agree that this change has to be mostly mental and going back to old ways can be extremely detrimental to most former fatties, but that said, just because one reads a "scientific study" about an ingredient/diet/form of exercise/etc. does not make it absolute textbook fact.

I'm living proof of that. At least where the artificial sugar/carbonation thing stands... ;)

I've known some VERY knowledgeable pre ops and newbies, and I would be lying if I said I never have learned anything from them. That's what's awesome about sites like these, everyone can contribute something to our shared experiences.

@@KristenLe comes to mind. In my opinion, one of the most knowledgeable pre ops I've seen, and I'm sure others would agree. She had surgery this week, and admitted as knowledgeable and prepared as she was, it wasn't quite what she expected.

It's kind of like before having kids. We ALL know what's best for other people's kids.....until we have our own. The experience is much different than the expectation, and we soon find out what was best for their kids may not be what's best for ours. Experience tells us that.

Your opinions are welcome, but don't tsk tsk and wag your finger at others who obviously have more experience than you and pretend to know what's best for THEM. Not only is it kind of ironic, it's actually pretty rude and presumptuous.

@@Butterflywarrior

Wow

Appalling!!? That's ALL it takes to garner that reaction?

Things that appall me-

Child molestation

Spousal abuse

Thievery

Blatant disregard towards humanity

@@Butterflywarrior

Wow

Appalling!!? That's ALL it takes to garner that reaction?

Things that appall me-

Child molestation

Spousal abuse

Thievery

Blatant disregard towards humanity

Sending something from your iPhone is appalling?:)