Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my current weight is 340 and my height is 5'7/5'8 (They are close) and I have my first matrix appointment on the 18th this October and my insurance said I can get my surgery done in January, but I don't know what date or if it is sooner.

I started gaining mad weight by the time I was 17 from anxiety/depression, back then I weighted around 170-180lbs and during the years, I ate my feelings because I was teased by my mom from gaining weight and started eating more and more, even have a huge sweet tooth.

The picture of me in black and white, that is my current weight.

post-301872-0-22942800-1476517118_thumb.jpg

The other picture, I am the one with the dark glasses in a dark jacket, my weight then was 280. That was my 21st birthday.

post-301872-0-91190000-1476517137_thumb.jpg

The picture of me is on Halloween, I was 18 years old going on 19, I was 190. ( I wasn't wanting my picture taken and my mom wouldn't stop taking pictures.)

post-301872-0-91138300-1476517156_thumb.jpg

Here is me when I was 17 going on 18.

post-301872-0-30714100-1476517208_thumb.jpg

I guess I quickly gained the weight over the 8 years. I am 25 years old now, and I am very excited for the surgery though I do not know what is better, the Gastric Bypass or the Vertical Sleeve. I am really want to lose the weight and work on getting it to melt off because I want my mom to stop making fun of me for my weight, I've told her before how it hurts me but she doesn't see it.

If I drink nothing but Protein Shakes for 4 months along with Water, would I lose faster while exercising?

This process is a serious education, but you've started. The one thing that bothers me is that you said you want to lose fast so that your Mom will stop making fun of you. One thing I'd suggest to your thinking is that you not make this about external factors. It's time to really do some soul-searching and figure out what has led you to this point, where you are going to pursue weight loss surgery...and to realize that you aren't doing this for anyone but yourself. It will be you that must brave the surgery, you who must undertake the recovery, and you who must modify their thoughts and behaviors to achieve the success you're looking for. Nobody is going to do any of it but you. And be prepared for the fact that you may discover you have some serious resentment toward your mom, when she starts treating you differently after you lose weight. Or anyone else in your life, for that matter. You're going to go through massive changes and people in your life won't necessarily fit "the new you" anymore. A lot of the success stories on this site and elsewhere attest to that fact.

But if you make this choice, make it for yourself...and do the psychological part, because it's the most important. You need to really be dedicated to lifelong change. Good things will come, in time. But it's a fight.

Also, you'll find that you get a lot more educated about nutrition, through this process. Your question about the Protein shakes? The answer is simple: Any diet in which you consume fewer calories than you burn every day is going to help you lose weight, and the greater the gap between how much you consume and how much you burn makes that weight loss speed up. But it may not be the healthiest way to do it. Your body has requirements that need to be met, in order to stay healthy and function optimally.

I expect that your surgeon has a nutritionist and a program that you'll go through that will get you up to speed on everything. Go to them, and really invest in the process...so that by the time you reach your surgery date, you will be a "subject matter expert" on your nutrition and how to succeed :)

It's time to cast off the old you and look forward to the new one, and that's more mental than physical. Good luck!

Oh I know I got to do it for myself, I have a wedding coming up in 2019 and I want to be able to fit in my wedding dress and to live a healthy life for my fiance and his kids. I am serious about it because I do want to prove to others and myself that I can do it. The story behind the whole thing with my mom making fun of me, I honestly felt as if she picked on me because I wasn't as skinny as my sisters who were 5'7-5'11 and weighting 120 and 140. When I was 17 years old, my mom would poke my thighs and say that I had thunder thighs and that I am overweight but I would always ask the nurses at the doctor office if my weight was fine and they said that it nothing was wrong. I always figured I had a larger framed body because I would be 230 and look 200. Even now I have resentment towards my mom and I would bring it up to her all the time about how it would hurt, she would give me the cold shoulder and tell me to get over it. But I am ready to be able to fit in cute clothes again instead of just torrid expensive clothes, and be healthier. (My gastrointestinal doctor sent a referral to the weight loss clinic because of health problems mostly, but I am looking to be happy with myself instead of self-loathing.

This process is a serious education, but you've started. The one thing that bothers me is that you said you want to lose fast so that your Mom will stop making fun of you. One thing I'd suggest to your thinking is that you not make this about external factors. It's time to really do some soul-searching and figure out what has led you to this point, where you are going to pursue weight loss surgery...and to realize that you aren't doing this for anyone but yourself. It will be you that must brave the surgery, you who must undertake the recovery, and you who must modify their thoughts and behaviors to achieve the success you're looking for. Nobody is going to do any of it but you. And be prepared for the fact that you may discover you have some serious resentment toward your mom, when she starts treating you differently after you lose weight. Or anyone else in your life, for that matter. You're going to go through massive changes and people in your life won't necessarily fit "the new you" anymore. A lot of the success stories on this site and elsewhere attest to that fact.

But if you make this choice, make it for yourself...and do the psychological part, because it's the most important. You need to really be dedicated to lifelong change. Good things will come, in time. But it's a fight.

Also, you'll find that you get a lot more educated about nutrition, through this process. Your question about the Protein shakes? The answer is simple: Any diet in which you consume fewer calories than you burn every day is going to help you lose weight, and the greater the gap between how much you consume and how much you burn makes that weight loss speed up. But it may not be the healthiest way to do it. Your body has requirements that need to be met, in order to stay healthy and function optimally.

I expect that your surgeon has a nutritionist and a program that you'll go through that will get you up to speed on everything. Go to them, and really invest in the process...so that by the time you reach your surgery date, you will be a "subject matter expert" on your nutrition and how to succeed :)

It's time to cast off the old you and look forward to the new one, and that's more mental than physical. Good luck!

Excellent. My wife is also obese (she's right at 40bmi) and she's got three siblings, two of whom are sisters. She is the heaviest of them and she compares herself a lot...and it's no wonder, because her parents (especially her father) are BRUTAL toward her about it. They make the most insensitive comments, it blows my mind. I don't like my in-laws anyway, at all...but things like this make me really dislike them. It's hurtful to my wife and I see how it affects her. She is also planning on getting the surgery this coming summer, when she has time off from work (she's a teacher). She talks about remembering being cute in High School and wearing the kinds of clothes she liked, and she wants to get back to that. I don't ever have a memory where I wasn't being made fun of for my weight, all the way back to elementary school...so for me, it's wanting to have a life I never got to have, and to be a good example to my kids.

Shout gun answer to sweet tooth is bypass bc......your and my worst enemy doughnuts chocolate etc etc won't allow you bc of dumping syndrome. Look into it.

Okay now b4 you can make plan to follow through you must know "LIFESTYLE CHANGE" your eating will never be the same if you want to success and not regain. You have to be mentally strong and ready bc we all think we ready until at the time of suffering health problems and then we fail. That is my biggest fear and you see time and again some don't want to exercise or like me filling my stomach pass full stretching my tummy or whatever. So be sure and b ready and do for you. K

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I got the gastric bypass and dont dump at all. So, its not ansure way to kill the sweet tooth. Also, surgery alone will not solve all problems. After the honeymoon stage where your body learned to absorb food like it did before surgery, its 110% on you again.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

"I do not know what is better, the Gastric Bypass or the Vertical Sleeve." I would ask your doctor that question. Based on his/her exam of you, your mental health history. and eating patterns. Your bariatric team should have a recommendation.

"If I drink nothing but Protein shakes for 4 months along with Water, would I lose faster while exercising?" Sure, you could do that right now and lose weight but if you won't commit to shakes and exercise now, will you after surgery?

"Oh I know I got to do it for myself, I have a wedding coming up in 2019 and I want to be able to fit in my wedding dress and to live a healthy life" Actually every answer you gave was an external or short term reason on why you want WL surgery: your mom, a wedding dress, prove to others that you can lose weight. If you really want to live a healthy lifestyle, you wouldn't think that drinking nothing but Protein Shakes for four months is healthy. If you were doing this for you, you would talk about you. So here's my suggestion, start going to a counselor who specializes in weight loss. It's not that you shouldn't have surgery but when all those short term goals or your need for approval from others is met, then what? Best of luck to you on your journey.

Shout gun answer to sweet tooth is bypass bc......your and my worst enemy doughnuts chocolate etc etc won't allow you bc of dumping syndrome. Look into it.

Okay now b4 you can make plan to follow through you must know "LIFESTYLE CHANGE" your eating will never be the same if you want to success and not regain. You have to be mentally strong and ready bc we all think we ready until at the time of suffering health problems and then we fail. That is my biggest fear and you see time and again some don't want to exercise or like me filling my stomach pass full stretching my tummy or whatever. So be sure and b ready and do for you. K

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I plan on doing just that, changing for my health and for the better. I have two little kids I will have to chase around and I will need to catch up and be in their life longer (Without having anymore bad health problems caused by my weight.)

I got the gastric bypass and dont dump at all. So, its not ansure way to kill the sweet tooth. Also, surgery alone will not solve all problems. After the honeymoon stage where your body learned to absorb food like it did before surgery, its 110% on you again.

"I do not know what is better, the Gastric Bypass or the Vertical Sleeve." I would ask your doctor that question. Based on his/her exam of you, your mental health history. and eating patterns. Your bariatric team should have a recommendation.

"If I drink nothing but Protein shakes for 4 months along with Water, would I lose faster while exercising?" Sure, you could do that right now and lose weight but if you won't commit to shakes and exercise now, will you after surgery?

"Oh I know I got to do it for myself, I have a wedding coming up in 2019 and I want to be able to fit in my wedding dress and to live a healthy life" Actually every answer you gave was an external or short term reason on why you want WL surgery: your mom, a wedding dress, prove to others that you can lose weight. If you really want to live a healthy lifestyle, you wouldn't think that drinking nothing but Protein Shakes for four months is healthy. If you were doing this for you, you would talk about you. So here's my suggestion, start going to a counselor who specializes in weight loss. It's not that you shouldn't have surgery but when all those short term goals or your need for approval from others is met, then what? Best of luck to you on your journey.

I had a referral from my gastrointestinal doctor to get weight loss surgery because I get sick so often from my weight and because of 5 year long gastritis problems. After I got the referral, I was thinking about it more and doing research, I don't want it to be a short time thing, I want it to be a long term weight loss because I hate myself at this weight, I had always tried to be happy about it but I was fat shamed by my own mom even when I was average sized, it always made me very insecure about myself, but I also have two kids coming into my life that I have to be healthy for and chase after (They are 3 and 5). I want to feel comfortable at my own wedding and have this new chapter in my life where I am skinny and getting married, I want to feel happy. So yes, I have done my research and watched youtube videos of people going through the journey of weight loss surgery. I only asked about the milkshake thing for 4 months was because I need to lose weight before my fiance and I get his kids, so I can be able to ride on the plane without the possibility of having to sit in two seats, we are bringing them back from the east coast so I would like the energy and to feel comfortable on the plane. I guess I should of explained that more, huh?

I am prepared mentally, I plan on even getting a membership from a gym to get exercise (I want to use those stationary bikes for my legs because hell, I know I will have excess fat there. I need to tone even in the process.) I just need to get my fiance to also get healthy with me. (He hasn't been helpful food-wise, he eats a lot of fast food too, but still skinny.)

Hello, my current weight is 340 and my height is 5'7/5'8 (They are close) and I have my first matrix appointment on the 18th this October and my insurance said I can get my surgery done in January, but I don't know what date or if it is sooner.

I started gaining mad weight by the time I was 17 from anxiety/depression, back then I weighted around 170-180lbs and during the years, I ate my feelings because I was teased by my mom from gaining weight and started eating more and more, even have a huge sweet tooth.

attachicon.gif 10488050_10203501576445632_9214652790443348488_n.jpg

The other picture, I am the one with the dark glasses in a dark jacket, my weight then was 280. That was my 21st birthday.

attachicon.gif 76210_10151010224610426_484390365_n.jpg

The picture of me is on Halloween, I was 18 years old going on 19, I was 190. ( I wasn't wanting my picture taken and my mom wouldn't stop taking pictures.)

attachicon.gif 548018_10150657991500426_937470770_n.jpg

attachicon.gif 1915635_1148234751633_5968957_n.jpg

I guess I quickly gained the weight over the 8 years. I am 25 years old now, and I am very excited for the surgery though I do not know what is better, the Gastric Bypass or the Vertical Sleeve. I am really want to lose the weight and work on getting it to melt off because I want my mom to stop making fun of me for my weight, I've told her before how it hurts me but she doesn't see it.

If I drink nothing but Protein shakes for 4 months along with Water, would I lose faster while exercising?

Welcome!

Best of luck with your surgery. It is quite a process but well worth it.

Take this time pre-op to learn as much as you can. Ask lots of questions and write everything down.

Your surgeon can help you determine which procedure is best for you.

I am so sorry your mother is so awful to you. If I had to guess, she may not change when you lose weight. If she is so insecure and behaves badly toward you now, she may just find something else to focus on once you lose weight. It sounds like it is about her anyway.

Do you have a good therapist? It may be helpful to have someone objective who can help you work through your issues around food and sort out what you can change and what how to respond to your mother's issues in a healthy way.

attachicon.gif 10488050_10203501576445632_9214652790443348488_n.jpg

attachicon.gif 76210_10151010224610426_484390365_n.jpg

attachicon.gif 548018_10150657991500426_937470770_n.jpg

attachicon.gif 1915635_1148234751633_5968957_n.jpg

If I drink nothing but Protein shakes for 4 months along with Water, would I lose faster while exercising?

Welcome!

Best of luck with your surgery. It is quite a process but well worth it.

Take this time pre-op to learn as much as you can. Ask lots of questions and write everything down.

Your surgeon can help you determine which procedure is best for you.

I am so sorry your mother is so awful to you. If I had to guess, she may not change when you lose weight. If she is so insecure and behaves badly toward you now, she may just find something else to focus on once you lose weight. It sounds like it is about her anyway.

Do you have a good therapist? It may be helpful to have someone objective who can help you work through your issues around food and sort out what you can change and what how to respond to your mother's issues in a healthy way.

Hello~ My surgeon has a team of Psychologist, dietitian and nutritionist helping me, I have my first matrix (Two appointments that same day) on the 18th of October, November 2nd and December 7th so I will have a big busy two months. I used to see a therapist before and would even go see that therapist about how my mom would treat me, and nothing changed. (Even when I brought her in the room with me.) I have been watching lots of videos on YT watching the surgery and what they did, and videos of those who had the surgery done and their journey and updates every month with their weight, it gets me more and more excited for the outcome all together.