Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

justwaitin2b banded in October and a bit scared

Wow, I miss a few days, and look how this thread has grown! :biggrin1: Thank you for thinking of me the day I had my gallbladder surgery. The surgery normally takes 45 min., but It took an hour and a half for me because of my weight. But, everything went well. I was really scared going into surgery. I had never had surgery before. In fact I was so scared that the doctor told my family I maybe too emotional to have the lap-band surgery. Having the first surgery took most of my fear of the second surgery away. I think the doctor is jumping to conclusions. He has no business making judgements after knowing me such a short time. He also told my famiily that my liver is still too enlarged to do the lap-band on the 18th of Sept. He said I need to lose more weight. This was not what I was expecting to hear minutes after coming out of surgery. I was thinking the doctor would be telling me how good I did and that my liver was looking great. After all I had been on the liquid diet for nearly two weeks. I was so close, and now I feel like I'm starting all over again. I would have got back to my computer sooner, but I've been feeling kinda sad. Also, I have a wound right under my rib cage that still kinda hurts. Sorry if I sound too depressing. I think I do have a good attitude. I will see my doctor Sept. 25. At that time he will tell me how much more weight I have to lose, and select another surgery date.

Hi Janet - You can do it babe!! I beleive in you!! and the fact the surgeon opened his negative can of worms - should be more inpiration for you, prove he is wrong!!!! Come on, i'll loan you a pair of my "big girl panties" and you can go kick his self righteous arse all the way back to lapland..........now that makes you feel better doesn't it!! As soon as you are feeling better, hop back on the pre-op diet and go show him what you can do............. anyway, I have to start my 4 weeks of pre-op on the 29th September.........we can be twins!!! hugs Karen

I too am new to this forum. I am nearly the end of my insurances 6 month preparation and hoping to have surgery by the end of the year. Do you have support group meetings that you can go to? I go and they are very helpful and I believe it is natural to be scared. We will get through this, together, and succeed. Be positive, positive, positive.

Lynn

Karen,

Thanks for the support. Your post really made me laugh. :D Well, maybe we will be band partners after all!! That would be fun. We could compair notes. I went back to work today, and I got a lot of support. I just hope I can lose the weight that the doctor wants me to. Note to self - - keep a good attitude!!:D

note to Janet - you WILL do great!!! p.s. I was gunna say, I can't beleive he had the gall to say that - and then I realised - he has your gall!!!!!!! RAOTFLMAO................. K

Karen, Justwaitin2b

Don't worry you will do fine. Don't worry about doing anything wrong. If you do , your body will definitely let you know. My husband was banded in june and he tried solids to soon and it came right back up. I was banded on Sept 6 and I just started pureed foods today. I was excited before surgery and then I read some post on this forum about complications and got nervous. It seemed there were some who were dissatisfied and some who said it didn't work for them, but I have decided that this is tool for me to use and It is totatlly up to me to lose the weight, eat healthy, and excersize. So , hang in there and you will enjoy this forum for talking to people.

hi Karen, You must have a great sense of humor! Well, I just saw the diet person today, and she was really trying to talk me into getting the gastric bypass. My doctor wants me to get the bypass, and so do the nurses where I weigh in every week. I knew all along that I did not want the bypass, but everyone keeps telling me that it's the way I should go. They were saying that you always have to be on a diet with the band, and the weight comes off really slow. Also, I think that they are telling me this because I have only lost 19 lbs in 3 months. I was supposed to lose 40-50. I guess they think that I'm not a good dieter. I may decide to get the bypass. I will have to do more research. What to do...What to do. :car: Well, anyway, that's what's going on with me. How about you?

Luvie - No!! don't do it! Bypass is an actually physical change to your anatomy, and is too drastic!! The fact is, if we could lose weight without a band, we would have by now - it is not a deciding factor, for if you should have one. The only reason you need to lose a few pounds before surgery is to shrink the liver, to help with the surgery (it's a big bastard, and needs to keep out of the way) The rest of the weight loss process, is a joint effort between you, your band, and your weight loss team. It sounds like they are more familiar with the bypass, and therefore wanting to stay within their comfort zone, instead of whats right for you. Ask them how many bands they have done? and how many bypasses? I betcha I'm right...... You stick by your guns honey, it's your body and your life - let me know how you go - big hugs K

I agree with Karen, a bypass should be the last resort. I've done a bit of research into it and the side effects sound really horrible to live with - and you can't live far from the toilet if you get my meaning.

Sure with the band you might lose weight slower, but all the diet gurus and diet books and doctors say it is best to lose weight slowly. My understanding with the band is that you should probably only use 0.5 to 1 kg ( about 1-2 pounds) per week.

So don't let them pressure you into something you don't want - it's your body not theirs.

Danna

I too agree with Karen, hell you lost 19lbs in 3 months! That is great. I did 22lbs in 4months, and my doc was thrilled. Go figure! The band is so much safer, and like Karen said you will have to work with the band to make it work. And you can lose all you want if you want. Besides, if you lose it fast you could have other issues to deal with. Slow and steady is the way to go. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Thank you guys so much for the support. I realy feel like I need it right now. This has just been a really hard week. I posted my concers on the pre/post op questions board to get even more advise and support. I'm thinking that I may seek out another doctor here in town just to get another opinion. There are only 2 doctors in town that do weight loss surgery. I'm just thinking that might mean I'll have to start all over again when I am already so close. Do I sound like a big baby or what? I hate feeling this way. :think I was so sure of myself a week ago. Karen, I feel kinda bad. This thread is supposed to be a support for you, and here I am getting support from you!!!!

Hi Karen,

I had the same fear. It would suck to go thru surgery and not have it work. The thing you need to keep in mind: lap band surgery is a tool. It's not an instant solution. It will help you eat smaller portions like a skinny person. You still need to work at it. You need to think about limiting portions/calories, etc. The thing that is great about lap band surgery is that it gives you an internal compass when you do overeat. It makes you feel ick and reminds you that you shouldnt be doing it. Its hard because most of us use food as a drug and we need to now turn to other coping skills instead of stuffing our feelings. I think if you really really really want to be thin (and honestly, who wouldnt?) I think its worth a shot. Just believe in yourself. You can do this. You can lose the weight. This is another tool in the struggle to lose weight. Just be committed to yourself and know you are a strong person and can make this happen! Best of luck to you.

Janet - you silly sausage! don't feel bad about posting anything and everything on here - you are the important one at the moment - I am over my fear now, and just want to be banded yesterday (if you know wot I mean)...... talking to you, and the other wonderful supportive people here, is what got me through in my hour of need, and now it's your turn.....

So - 123 jump, get on the phone and ask the other doctor's staff the important questions, be open and honest, ask - ask - ask!! Do they favour band over bypass? how many of each have they done? if you transfer to their care, can they use your records to continue your process from the same stage, as you have no desire to start the process again, but are not entirely satisfied with your current weight loss team. These are all questions you are entitled to ask - you are the customer! Even though he is a doctor, a surgeon and we normally put these people on a pedestal (cause they are rully rully smart..lol) at the end of the day, they are still running a business, and without you the customer, they have no business........... Go on - you can do! Be happy - talk soon hugs K

(3 days post op) I Made It !!!!

Thank-You, for all the well wishes prior to surgery, I almost had to postpone as well. The night B4 my surgery I had a sinus infection/fever so they put me on a massive dose of Azithromyacin, Dr. told me to go right home to bed and keep my fingers crossed ?? I was good to go the next day. All went super and I feel great. Still a litte sore of course but all in all I'm doing quite well.

Janet, many people tried to talk me into gastric as well and I said no and that was the end of it. Luckily my Dr. only asked why I didnt want to go that route, and I told him and he did not push it.

I don't feel like I wil be on a constant diet, I am just learning to be satisfied with a smaller portion of the right foods. These opinions are probably coming from people who have no idea what it's all about anyway.

So what if the weight comes off slower... it took me 20 years to put it on, I can be patient. Besides considering my struggles before, a couple pounds a week is just fine with me ! (Down 16 lbs since 3 weeks pre surgery !)

You do what you feel comfortable with, don't let anyone intimidate you into doing something you don't feel right about. Second opinion sounds like a good idea ! Don't worry, you will get there and you'll be just fine.

All The Best !

Carol