Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

justwaitin2b banded in October and a bit scared

Yea!!! Carol!!!

Congratulations! Hang in there. The hardest part is over. Remember, maybe put a pillow under your belly to sleep and ROLL out of bed. food might taste a little funny afte surgery, hang in there!! ALL of this will pass. WE are all so proud of you!!

Res883:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Thanks res !

I was sooooo nervous goin in but I put it all in God's hands and it was a piece of cake (LOL) I know I have work to do, but now there is so much hope ahead ! I learned more on this board than any brochure or doc could have told me. I would encourage getting those lungs strong both before surgery and after (with the inspirator device they gave me) it makes it easier to breathe afterwards, when you have to keep any gunk from collecting in the lungs after anesthesia. I am not crazy about sleeping on my back but I'm sure I'll be easing back on to my side by next week.

I just can't beleive how good I feel . I was thinking after surgery I'd be running around starving and I'm not hungry at all. Just a few bites (or sips) and I am full, it's wierd when I think about how I could woof down half a pizza and several beers no problem. I'm seriously just not hungry. I just want to keep up the good work and do the right things keep up my nutrition and I'm sure the rest will all come together !!

Best Of Luck Everyone !!!! :whoo:

Hello,

I am new here - just registered today. I am scheduled for surgery Oct 8 and I am sooooo excited - but nervous too.

I travel alot for work and I am a little concerned about how that will work for the first month or so, but the Dr. seems to be unfazed about it.

Thanks for all of the information and posts on this board, I have really found it to be helpful.

RES883 -- what does 'roll out of bed' mean?

I was thinking of posting a board for OCT surgery dates - so we can all keep track of each other as we move down this road.

BTW, I live in AZ and I am turning 40 in February.

Hi Carol, Res & New me(welcome - there are 3 threads already for October bandsters luvie, have a looksee in support groups)

Carol - I am so glad to hear you are safe, sound and happy on the other side.................... keep me posted - everystep I can live vicariously through you, will make me more prepared for Oct 29th..lol!!

I am starting my pre-op diet a week early (we do 4 weeks Optifast over here) cause we are taking the kids away in our caravan for 4 days during what would have been the first week of pre-op, and I just know I'll cheat a bit - so maybe I can make up some grace by starting a tad early!

Talking to all you guys has put my nerves at ease about the op, but I am starting to crave foods I haven't even had for yonks! and that's just the lead up to starting for pete's sake - I haven't even started yet!!! wish me luck, keep chatting - i love hearing from everyone...... y'all are wonderful!!! hugs Karen

Hey Karen - Welcome new me !!!

Karen I started on the pre-surgery a week early also for the exact same reason (I went on vacation) LOL. I had gone to a local support meeting and my surgeon said not to fall into that Last Hoorah syndrome, which I have to admit I did the week before starting the pre-op I wanted to eat a steak every night .... Well they didnt make us do straight Optifastm it was all the fruits and veggies I wanted FF veggie Soups. and 3-5 protien shakes a day just no meats and no fats, carbs or starches. It wasnt too bad really and I lost 10 lbs pre-op so I guess I did allright, I am down 18lbs as of this morning. I just walked part way around a local lake so I am moving around and feeling great. New me - I think res was referring to the first couple of days after surgery. Because of the incisions, as small as they are, it's hard to rely on your ab muscles to pull you up out of bed so you sort of have to roll out of bed. Having the pillow around your belly makes it even easier. Your gonna be sore - no doubt. I use the pillow when I have to cough or sneeze also - it just cushions the stitches so you dont strain anything. The more I move the better I feel. Just trying not to overdue it ! I actually drove myself home from the hospital (dont tell my doc) because my mother was too short to see over the dashboard of my car (LOL) I would definitely suggest getting the lungs as strong as possible B4 surgery by either deep breathing or walking etc.. Something about the anesthesia that tightens up your respiritory after surgery, nothing painful, just a little tight. I will keep posting as the days progress. Remember all, nervous is perfectly normal. I was a basket case the last few weeks, but talking to people on the board that came through it with ease made all the difference and I can tell you from my experience, it was a lot easier than I ever expected.

HANG IN THERE FOLKS - YOU WILL BE SO HAPPY IN THE LONG RUN

:whoo:

Hi everyone!

I am TERRIFED to say the least. I am much heavier then most. Started at 359 my BMI was 65.5 Dr told me I had to lose 30 pounds min. before I could have surgery. I am down only 23 pounds in 6 weeks:( I was on a 3 shakes a day diet for 4 weeks and only lost 16 pounds. Started adding some fruit and a little protien here and there and lost aother 7 pounds. I have an appointment this coming Wed the 26th but I know he is not going to give me a date since I am still over the very dangerious BMI of 60. I am starting to think even this won't work for me. 6 weeks of 750 cal. a day and only lost 23 pounds... I can't see my self the size of a normal person, so I wonder if that means I won't make it through the surgery? I had an endoscopy and they gave me too much anisthisia, it took 2 weeks to get my BP back up to normal. If they couldn't get it right for a little thing like that what is going to happen during surgery? I don't want to die. I feel doomed either way. Why couldn't I just be a normal sized person...

Terrified in NY

Ann

Hi Ann,

Are you kidding me? 23 lbs in 6 weeks is bloody fantastic!! You are amazing!!! That is as much, if not more than you will acheive being banded, do you realise the work your poor body needs to do, to burn that much excess weight in 6 weeks, as well as keep you functioning - you are doing great, stop being so hard on yourself. Now - what is the worst thing that can happen at the Doctors appointment? He says you haven't lost quite enough yet? So you stay on your pre-op diet for another 4 weeks (with the additions you found work better for you) and you show him, how amazing you really are!!! Then you see him again - and get his commitment to you reaffirmed, and get your date............ honey, you didn't get big over night, so don't expect miracles over night either, but you are doing so well..... just a little bit more, and you will be able to reach your dream of changing your life forever!!! FOREVER!! No more starving, no more hunger, imagine what you can acheive then............ YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I am 250lbs and BMI of 43, and I can't see myself thin, I told my surgeon that I don't really in my heart of hearts beleive it will happen.... because I can't see it in my head, and he said.... that is totally normal - but when the scales start going backwards - I will start to see it, imagine it, and live it!! and you will too............... If you can be so dedicated for 6 weeks - you can do just a little more!! I start my pre-op diet today - for 4 weeks, so we will do it together!!! GO US!!! Big hugs...

Hi Ann,

One thing you want to do is take a deep breath and let go of some of that fear. I know it's hard, beleive me I was thinking of every little thing that could possibly go wrong. I had multiple MELTDOWNS and Thank God for my boyfriend, and my sister who is a nurse, they got me thru them. It's perfectly normal to go through this rollercoaster of emotions. I have had the same BP problem in the past. You will have a good sit down with your anestesiologist and they will be better prepared since your endo.

As far as the weight coming off ... the pre-surgery diet was making me a little nuts, I felt like it wasn't coming off fast enough. My Dr. told me it wasn't a number of lbs he was looking for, but the shrinking of the liver that was important. 16 pounds is fantastic !!!!

I think psychologically I was afraid to loose the weight because it is also my big protective WALL ... That sounds crazy I know. Every morning since surgery I get on the scale and expect it to start going back up but it's not - it's still going down. I have always just been so geared up for failure that I cant beleive it's working .... But I think for once, it finally is. We still have to do the work, but I am actually seeing results. And it's a great feeling.

Don't be afraid, you will get to the point that your doc feels your ready and you will come through it just fine ! Talk to your doctor or your support people about your fears and I'm sure they can ease your mind.

My post op visit is on Wednesdayas well, I will check in later that day. Please let us know how things go. Try and relax and don't be afraid, it's going to be great !!!

All The Best,

Carol

Dear Karen,

Thank you very much! You are an amazing person! You started this WONDERFUL thread for some encouragement, and you are the one helping give out the encouragement! I would love to have some people I can talk to who are headed into or have been banded.

The reason it is so important to me to get Banded in Oct. is that my daughter is due to have my first grandchild Dec 6th and I want to be healed by then! My surgeon is book until the end of Oct. and I am afraid if he says no to me then I won't get on the calendar until sometime in Nov which will be very close to her due date. Then I may wait until Jan, but I don't know if all the tests I had done in Aug will still be valid!

Anyway when is your date??

Thanks so much for writing back, hope to keep in touch. I'll let you know how I make out on Wed.

Best Wishes

Ann

Hi Carol!

So glad to hear from you! I have been reading your posts. How are you feeling!

Yes I know about the liver, but how can they really know how big it is until they get in there? My BMI is still 61.5 and I know he won't touch me unless I am under 60. We shall see what it is on Wed. I just want to get on the calendar for the end of Oct. I am sure I can get below 60 by then. I have a lot to talk to him about on Wed. the anesthesia is one of the big ones!

Good luck on Wed.! I will talk to you then!

Best Wishes!

Ann

Hi! had the surgery in july and have already lost 30lbs...The surgery it self was very easy and very little recovery time, mild disconfort after the surgery but no real pain, hardest was getting in and out of bed, but back to normal in a week. The surgeon found an hitial hernia when he did my lap band and corrected it at the same time....Willl always be grateful for that...my heart burn is gone and my blood pressure has stabalized...he probably saved me from big problems down the road...Don't dwell on the surgery start thinking that this is the beginning of a new and better you....Good luck

Hi Mary Jane,

Thanks! May I ask what your BMI was? that is my biggest obstacle right now. I am wondering about getting in and out of bed since I have a Water bed. I know its not going to be easy at first, but will be happy to get to that day since it will mean the surgery is done and I am still here :).

Thanks for writing, please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing!

Wow - Okay well I'm new to this forum, not really sure what I'm doing. I am 38 yrs old, and have 7 1/2 weeks until I am banded. I have read everything I can find on Lap Band surgery, and feel prepared medically............ but mentally - I am scared!! I am scared that if I put myself and my family through all of this, and it doesn't work - what then??? I am 114kgs (sorry not good with pounds - I'm Aussie) and am not very tall at 5ft 4....... putting my BMI at 45. I have waited 10 months for my insurance period to expire, so I can get this done, I have tried every other weightloss plan/diet known to man, and I have researched every detail............... why then do I feel like screaming or crying half the time, and excited the rest...................I feel lonely, and scared! I can't see myself losing the weight, and changing my life like so many of you have....... it does not seem real.

I don't have many close friends I can talk with, and the ones I do have don't understand.................. I'm hoping for support and motivation from this forum, and I look forward to getting to know you all - Cheers Karen

Hi Karen!

NERVES are NORMAL!

It's a wild ride, but OH SO WORTH IT! :whoo: