Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have young kids?

I am now two weeks out from VSG. I have a four year old and a two year old and my wife (we are a two mom family) owns her own business so was only home for a few days. It has gone really well! So much easier than I expected. My littlest one (who still likes to be held a lot) has been great. I just show him the "boo-boo on my belly" and remind him that I can't pick him up.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm so glad everything went so well for you. Thank you for letting me know how it went for you. It makes me feel a lot better having a little one.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using the BariatricPal App

I had my sleeve done on 10/12 and had my 8 month old nursing daughter with me in the hospital. I've had no issues resuming life as normal just a couple days after surgery. I have five kids and am able to do everything except pick them up. My 8 month old is ok because she is under 20lbs.

My VGS surgery included gallbladder removal, and a stomach and hernia repair. I'm not recovering as quickly as most describe here. Only this morning did I wake up without pain. I still need the pain Meds and I'm gonna go back to work slowly next week. I don't know if my recovery is slower because of all that work done or if it's because I've been very ill the past 8 months leading up to my surgery. I feel like, based on what I've read from folks, you are more likely to be feeling pretty good within like 5 days.

Good luck!!!!! Hoping for only a swift and easy recovery for you. :)

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

I took off a week. I can lift My 1yr old granddaughter, take care of my 2 4yr old grandsons, my 9 yr old daughter, and keep the nursery at church. If the kid is more than 20lbs I just don't lift them yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I have a 3 year old and a 17 month old. VSG is scheduled for 10/26 and I'm super worried about how I'm going to manage. My husband will be home for the first week but after that I will be on my own. ????

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Can you keep me updated with how it goes for you? I really want to book my apt for January, but I am worries because my husband will only be home for the first week also. I hope your surgery goes well!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using the BariatricPal App

Things are going well. Having my husband home for the first week was very helpful. It is hard with my youngest being only 18 months. I do have to pick her up (21lbs) even though I'm not supposed to bc I still have to load her in the car and get her in and out of the crib. I try to be very careful but that is the hardest thing. Otherwise, no issues here...just watching the scale go down! :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I have a 2 and 3 year old who are close to 40 lbs apiece. I went back to work from home (sedentary) 5 days out and was able to do everything within a week as normal. I tried not to pick up the kids and had them get themselves in and out of the car and stuff, but by week 3 I was lifting them as normal without any issues.

Honestly, the anesthesia/barfing was the worst part of surgery immediately post-op for me. I felt like I had never had surgery by my one-week followup where they took out the staples.

If you have help the first week, I bet you'll be fine.