Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I THOUGHT I was sleeved...

This is the reason why I won't go to my local hospital. I call it the feed and farm. They flat out suck! They literally recommend that you take a sharpie marker and write what procedure you want done in the area of your surgery to "avoid confusion". You would have better luck with a drunken buddy performing your surgery while watching youtube to figure out what to do.

Actually, that is a very common and smart practice for most surgeons.

This is part of the required 'time-out' at our facility. The surgeon who will perform the procedure comes into pre-op, goes over the consent with you for a final time and initials the limb/joint/whatever that you'll have surgery on.

To the OP...the likelihood that you truly had the wrong procedure is extremely low, but that doesn't lessen your anxiety at all, I'm sure. It's probably a data-entry mistake, but you need a prompt (immediate!!) answer to you inquiry. The surgeon's operative report will detail exactly what was done, and should be provided to you right away.

I'm absolutely stunned that someone thought it was ok to say 'well, we'll just have you in for a barium swallow to confirm' as though a) this is a common event and b ) it's fine to perform unnecessary tests on patients for our own convenience. My last thought on all this is that YOU won't be paying anyone else a DIME for ANY follow-up in this mess.

I think I wasn't clear when I reported the BWLS program manager's response. She isn't carelessly throwing out "oh come on in for a barium swallow" as if it's not a big deal. She said she was going to investigate with the floor nurses, the computer people, check records (I assume admission and surgical), etc., to get to the bottom of this and mentioned the barium swallow as something that was available if there was no clear evidence that I had sleeve surgery. I don't think she was being frivolous or irresponsible. However, I sure would like to hear back from them soon!

It should not take long to get an answer. I agree with everyone else that you need to escalate this matter ASAP.

The Dr should know what surgery they did and re able to give an answer in seconds. I really don't get the delay, or the confusion.

Really hoping for the best for you OP.

I don't get pissed easily but in this case, I would be majorly pissed. Why should you have to pay?? Where did you get your surgery?? Make it seem like you will be majorly pissed so they are apologetic and willing to pay for some if not all of the corrective procedure.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Ok. At this point, I would be sitting on the doctors desk waiting for an answer. Keeping you waiting while they CYA

I would have the Medical Records in my hand first. I would also have a witness with me taking notes notes since it is illegal to record someone without their knowing.

Holy Crap is all I can think to say! Wow!

Any answer??

I have a meeting with the surgeon today to go over all records. She was in surgery all day yesterday. I'm bringing a friend who is a lawyer with me- not in a professional capacity, but because it's always good to have someone along in cases like this, and her experience could be helpful. I also figured, given I am only 5 days post-op and still taking pain relief, it might help to have someone with a "clear mind" with me!

If you are concerned, get a chest and abdominal X-ray which will confirm the type of surgery that has been done.

If you need evidence especially if you intend to take legal action, you will need to have radiological proof anyway.