Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Banded Yet -- Can't Lose Weight For Surgery

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bonnie and I'm getting banded at The Lahey Clinic in Burlington, MA. I've been approved for the surgery and now I need to lose between 12-15lbs before they'll schedule me.

The problem is, I can't lose even 1lb, never mind 12lbs! I simply don't have the willpower to stop eating. I can do it for a day, but I feel SO deprived and then I eat the next day like there's no tomorrow. I'm desperate! How did you guys lose your pre-surgery weight? I want to be banded so badly and yet, I can't seem to stick to an eating plan. HELP!

I am in the same boat!!!!!!!!!! Need to lose 12 lbs. pre-surgery- low fat/low sugar diet. Does anyone have a daily food allowance weight loss chart? It is so hard!

Leslie

Right there with you, sisters. I need to lose 20-25lbs before my surgery. I started my pre-op diet on August 1st and my surgery date is 9/19. I've lost about 13-15lbs. I'm on 800 healthy calories a day. Some of it is Medifast. Some of it is salad greens. Some of it is yogurt. I eat some grilled chicken or tuna, too. No more milkshakes. No more "daily doses" of pizza. No more "only one candy more."

I really want to have the surgery and my wanting is bad enough to literally STOP ME dead in my tracks from overeating. This may be the first time in my life I've actually thought about what is going into my hand before it reaches my gob.

Start now! You can do the pre-op diet as a warm-up for being banded. It's like walking around the block to get ready for a 5 mile run! Baby steps get you places!

Darragha makes some good points and has some good suggestions. I started my weight loss journey seriously in February. From Feb to my surgery date June 21st, I was able to lose about 40 lbs. I changed my eating habits, I started eating like I will be for life. I sis not think of this as a diet, if I did, I'd be doomed to failure. I read, read, read this site and others. I soaked up every bit of good information I could about the band and what life is like after banding and started eating that way. I eat my lean Protein first, then vegetables, then if I have room I eat my carbs. I don't really measure anything, I certainly didn't try to limit myself to bandster portions pre-band, that would have been impossible. I just wanted to get used to the life changes. I gave up almost all white refined carbs and switched to multi-grains and steel cut oats, etc...

I am sorry, what I'm about to say isn't at all warm and fuzzy and may not on the surface sound very supportive, but I mean it with all sincerity and compassion for where you are right now:

You have GOT to get a grip on yourself. You MUST overcome this! Take it one day at a time. You said you can do it for one day, but the next day you screw up? Well look at it not as a diet, but as a change to help you be healthier, and look at it as one day, not day after day after day. The band is NOT MAGIC. If you cannot get a handle on your eating now, you will not succeed later. The band merely restricts how much you can put in your mouth and swallow. That restriction may not come for months after the band anyway. If you still want to eat crap and junk, you still can. chips and ice cream go down very easily, you could probably gain weight if that's what you like to eat and continue to eat it.

There is a huge amount of personal accountability and responsibility in band success. That's one of the reasons docs and ins companies require us to lose weight pre-band is to prove we can make that kind of committment.

Take some time, perhaps write your feelings and concerns with how your life may be different. Spend time here, read and ask questions. We are here for you. It really can be done, and be done well. It truly is NOT painful at all once you've got your mind right and are ready for the journey to begin.

Darragha makes some good points and has some good suggestions. I started my weight loss journey seriously in February. From Feb to my surgery date June 21st, I was able to lose about 40 lbs. I changed my eating habits, I started eating like I will be for life. I sis not think of this as a diet, if I did, I'd be doomed to failure. I read, read, read this site and others. I soaked up every bit of good information I could about the band and what life is like after banding and started eating that way. I eat my lean Protein first, then vegetables, then if I have room I eat my carbs. I don't really measure anything, I certainly didn't try to limit myself to bandster portions pre-band, that would have been impossible. I just wanted to get used to the life changes. I gave up almost all white refined carbs and switched to multi-grains and steel cut oats, etc...

I am sorry, what I'm about to say isn't at all warm and fuzzy and may not on the surface sound very supportive, but I mean it with all sincerity and compassion for where you are right now:

You have GOT to get a grip on yourself. You MUST overcome this! Take it one day at a time. You said you can do it for one day, but the next day you screw up? Well look at it not as a diet, but as a change to help you be healthier, and look at it as one day, not day after day after day. The band is NOT MAGIC. If you cannot get a handle on your eating now, you will not succeed later. The band merely restricts how much you can put in your mouth and swallow. That restriction may not come for months after the band anyway. If you still want to eat crap and junk, you still can. chips and ice cream go down very easily, you could probably gain weight if that's what you like to eat and continue to eat it.

There is a huge amount of personal accountability and responsibility in band success. That's one of the reasons docs and ins companies require us to lose weight pre-band is to prove we can make that kind of committment.

Take some time, perhaps write your feelings and concerns with how your life may be different. Spend time here, read and ask questions. We are here for you. It really can be done, and be done well. It truly is NOT painful at all once you've got your mind right and are ready for the journey to begin.

Faith said it best - You need to start now with changing your eating habits - it you don't change them you aren't going to lose weight even if you are banded - band does 25% of the work and you (your brain) will have to do 75% of the work... It's all up to you and how you approach being banded and what your expectations are... If you think that being banded is going to end all your food issues you are wrong. I can be full but still want to eat - (head hunger) and yes i could continue to eat if i wanted to pb or slime or not to loose weight. I choose to stop eating when i am full - I choose to eat low fat - low carb (i still have 1/2 of brown rice or whole wheat pasta) - veggies - fish chicken and red meat once a week. I haven't had a cookie or candy bar or brownie since 7/8

I eat sf puddings, yogurts, fudgecicles when i want sweets - I eat 1000 - 1200 calories a day and exercise 4-5 times a week - I AM WORKING at this - this band is not the magic pill - You will have a lot of time on your hands when you are no longer using them to stuff your face (this is my personal opinion about me - not meant to offend) - I get on the computer (like right now) and find things to distract me and take my mind away from wanting to eat - I save my Snacks for the evening as this is my very most difficult time.

Again - I don't me to offend - the ball is in your court and only you can make the correct choice.. My Best to you on this journey..

I lost 37 lbs before surgery, the Dr. put me on Optifast, I understand Medifast does the same thing, I think you can go on line to purchase it. I was drinking 5 a day before surgery, and I had my surgery on 12/19/05, went thru 3 birthday dinners, thanksgiving and Christmas on optifast because I drank it 2 weeks after surgery.

My doctor is BIG on low carb! I have lost over 20 lbs in the last three weeks. I can have 30g of carbs a day. No fruits Pasta bread rice. I can have all the eggs cheese meats and veggies I want. Check your carb intake for everything you eat. You will be surprised! Especially drinks. It was hard at first but now it is alot easier! I am confident that my liver has shrunk and I am ready to be banded on July 1st. Good luck and keep me posted!!!