Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to know what week post op did you start ab workouts please

Hi , I am no stranger to weight training , pre op I did allot of abdomen training along with all the other muscles , I am back and doing everything but anything that engages my abs , due to this , my back spasms due to weak stomach muscles or apathy ,,, :( ,,, I am in my 7th week and was wondering if anyone has done sit ups , planks , etc... to strengthen in their abdomen in their 7th week , I am going crazy , but afraid I will pop stitches or something ... help please :)

Ask your surgeon, but I was given no restrictions after 6 weeks. I am now at 10 weeks out.

I too got the same back pains from weak abs, and working on abs slowly to eliminate them.

I was surprised how weak my core got during the weeks after surgery.

I worked out with heavy weights (for a girl) my entire life prior to surgery. My surgeon said I could go back to normal cardio at 6 weeks, but absolutely no weight training until 12 weeks out b/c the lining of your stomach has not fully healed. Be careful! I hope you're lifting light.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I worked out with heavy weights (for a girl) my entire life prior to surgery. My surgeon said I could go back to normal cardio at 6 weeks, but absolutely no weight training until 12 weeks out b/c the lining of your stomach has not fully healed. Be careful! I hope you're lifting light.

That's about what I was told though they said I could do the stuff that doesn't cause discomfort. However, I got surgery about 10 weeks ago and only since a few days there is really no discomfort when engaging the abs so that's pretty much in line with the 12 weeks. No heavy lifting and no sit-ups to prevent hernia where the incisions have been.

I was surprised how weak my core got during the weeks after surgery.

Indeed. I was quite surprised that at first I didn't seem to be able to get any real tension into the abdominal wall like the muscles have to learn to engage properly again.

I got the ok to do light weights after my 2 week visit believe it or not was giving ok to do anything without engaging my abs , so can do squats and lunges without weights , I been doing cable exercises , staying away from free weights other then shoulders and using very light ones at that , and biceps (trying to firm up the wings on my underarms lol ) so I have basically gotten my strength back , just not my endurance ,,, but my back is just acting weird ,,, so wanted to try maybe to start , planks ,,,, I guess best to ask my surgeon ,,, but thank you for the responses , I will log my findings

Is the pain in your lower back? When doing e. g. squats you usually use your abs to stabilize. When your abs don't work properly yet, your lower back takes over.

My objection to that is that everything you do engages your core - ESPECIALLY after surgery when you're weak and can't isolate particular muscle groups from one another...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was cleared for strength training at the gym at 6 weeks. My trainer did not let me specifically target my abs until 6 months when my surgeon cleared me for that.

12 weeks is what I was told too.

One reason for the differences in advice is the surgical technique. Mine was a no complications laparoscopic procedure with surgical staples on the stomach/sleeve line. It was estimated that it took 3-4 weeks to heal. But that was MY surgery and might not be yours. That is why we keep say "check with YOUR surgeon."

6 weeks with advice to be sensitive to overworking core So far no real problems.

My objection to that is that everything you do engages your core -

But if your abdominal muscles are still weak and can't contact properly (remember, there are several incisions there), the lower back has to do more work and that might be causing back problems.

One reason for the differences in advice is the surgical technique. Mine was a no complications laparoscopic procedure with surgical staples on the stomach/sleeve line. It was estimated that it took 3-4 weeks to heal. But that was MY surgery and might not be yours. That is why we keep say "check with YOUR surgeon."

yes. exactly. I was cleared at my one month check up, and was ready to get back to my yoga/pilates. but your surgery and surgeon may advise otherwise.

It's most likely a bit different for everyone (and you should check with your surgical team for your specific time-frame), as we all heal at a different pace, but my surgeon cleared me for:

• Walking - Immediately after surgery
  • Running - 2 weeks post-op
  • Swimming - 2 weeks post-op (with incision check-up)
  • Light Training (resistance bands) - 4 weeks post-op
  • Full weight training in gym (with check-up) - 6 weeks post-op

Even though I was cleared after 6 weeks, I still took it slow just to be on the safe side, but all is good and had non problems or complications after clearance at 6 weeks.

Best of luck!

Edited by smg