Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not drinking water with a meal?

I made the mistake of drinking right after eating one time and I puked. I have never made that mistake again.

I have to remind myself all the time not to drink after eating. It hasn't been an issue at all. I also eat at a normal pace, but my bites are tiny. I normally finish eating around the same time as the rest of my family.

I'll be 5 weeks post op tomorrow. It was embedded in me from the beginning that eating and drinking at the same time would no longer be possible. I couldn't imagine that. However post surgery-- I was hard pressed to get anything in so it becomes a conscious effort. I've been working hard to under eat my sleeve and not waiting until I feel uncomfortable to stop. I will prepare a very small amount of fluids like ice Water, diluted apple juice, or cranberry juice and after my meal I will take 2-3 sips of something for my own personal satisfaction and sense of normalcy. It doesn't bother me a bit. Again this only works if you have learned to under eat the sleeve otherwise I could see you getting too full and feeling uncomfortable.

For example I will not eat more than 1/4 cup of Soup, chilli, cream of wheat, I can probably tolerate 1/3 cup now but I won't push it. I save the extra space for those 2-3 sips that I like to take with my meals. I may take 1 sip in the middle of my meal and 2 after-- just to wet my whistle lol!

I also drink from a straw with no problems, and I drink soda on avg of 1-2 times a week. NOW let me clarify, I don't drink a whole 12 oz can. I don't even drink 4 oz. I may have 2-3 sips just to give me the taste. I have no desire to drink an entire can of soda or whatever but it's nice to get a little taste once in a blue moon. It doesn't make me feel like I'm deprived and I still feel in control. I haven't had any this week, and I probably won't.

What is so strange to me is if Water washed the food through and makes you hungry faster (which I believe after seeing the applesauce /funnel video) why is this not well known for anyone dieting? Shouldn't just apply to barbaric patients.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Actually when I was on Weight Watchers years ago, not drinking with your meal was one of the rules. So I think it is out there.

We learn how much to sip while, or right after eating, when the first slurpee emerges from our gut in a reverse-gasp surprise. After this first (and quite amazing) slimy splurge of creamora, we can put our bibs away. It's a reality check. Am I being too funny? Well, the experience is kinda like that. I laugh myself all the way to my scale.

For me it is really easy, even though I used to drink 4-5 glasses of Water with my meals. The only time it is hard is when I don't control/know what my schedule is. For example, for the past 2 weeks, I've been on jury duty. We have two 15 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. But the court decides when they are every day. So I never know when to stop drinking so that I can have my lunch/afternoon snack. Lunch is easier, because if we go early and I need to wait, I just wait until the 2nd half of the lunch hour. Snack is harder because sometimes we go at 2:30, sometimes at 4. And there's no way to know.

Itd hard to follow the 30/60 min rule. But when you have the surgery and you eat and try to drink it will hurt. So yeah you get used to it very quick.

Its been a total pain for me. I was so used to drinking with my meals. Even now close to a year out from surgery I have to make an effort not to drink for 30 minutes after I eat. BUT the few times thatI broke that rule I paid for it with dumping or discomfort that made me remember to not drink for the30 minutes after eating.

I am still having problems eating certain foods and eating too fast and I am like 9 weeks out . I throw up every time I eat chicken salad .. sometimes even cottage cheese ! I cannot eat anything dense at all. Am to the point where I just survive on yogurt and scrambled eggs with a bit of spinach ..also an occasional piece of string cheese or laughing cow wedge .