Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food items that I am scared of..

I had issues my first year and a half and a lot of foods made me throw up so I was afraid of a lot of food for a while. Luckily for me, my stomach grew out of that and I'm mostly better. I am afraid of ice cream because I've become lactose intolerant and it feels awful.

From a behavioral standpoint, I'm afraid of pancake Syrup and Peanut Butter. Sounds crazy but one of my favorite things pre-sleeve was mixing those two and eating it. Super fattening and delicious. I can have either food in the house without any temptation but never both. I haven't had syrup in the house since surgery.

In here we will post about foods that we are scared of or food items that make us nervous/guilty. We will share our opinions and hopefully give each other insight on whether our guilt or anxiety can be justified or not.

I am scared of the following items.

Potatoes

Peanut Butter

cheese

Rice

bread

Ice cream (even two spoons)

Home made yogurt

Canned Soups

I have recently had half a cup of small sized Tim Hortons coffee and dumped the rest out of too much guilt. I had apples with Peanut Butter and nearly cried from guilt..

I am afraid that I might be depriving myself of even the stuff that I am supposed to have..

I can and I will.

I've had everything on that list since my surgery in March except for homemade yogurt. That's only because I've never made my own yogurt, I've had plenty of the store-bought stuff. My surgeon's plan has been quite flexible and nothing is truly off-limits for me now that I've advanced through all of the stages of the post-surgery diet.

If those foods are personally trigger foods for you, avoiding them is a good idea if that is what will help you be successful. However, if you have been brought to tears by eating something that could have otherwise been incorporated into a healthy eating plan it would be a good idea to seek a professional to discuss your food anxiety. Getting a boost from a therapist is another tool that would likely increase your ability to be successful.

Good luck to you!

I am six weeks out and have all of the things on your list except ice cream. I keep natural no sugar Peanut Butter packets in my back pack for a quick snack and have a teaspoon or two with fruit. I hate soft bread so I get firm bread from a local gluten free bakery and have a thin slice once in a while.

I have had a tablespoon or so of rice and have had boiled or mashed potatoes.

Canned Soup is not something I would normally eat. I tried it the liquid phase before making my own as I did not like the taste.

Prior to surgery I regularly made homemade coconut yogurt but o do not do so anymore since it is not Protein dense enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

I'm only 9 days post op, still on the lovely liquids. The foods I'd say I'm afraid of right now are my biggest temptation foods, like pizza and popcorn. I have 3 kids, so they still have those foods. I feel like they are ones I just can't be around right now though. I have no problem cooking a healthy dinner for them to have, but sitting next to them eating popcorn is really torturous. I'm hoping with time that the temptation passes. I've been doing the required 6 month diet before surgery and was restricting those foods some during that time, but still having them. Then I started the 2 week preop diet and now am 9 days post op. I haven't had a bite of anything I wasn't supposed to during this time, but the temptation for a few of those foods is still really strong. I'd prefer to not be in the room or in the house when they are being consumed.

In here we will post about foods that we are scared of or food items that make us nervous/guilty. We will share our opinions and hopefully give each other insight on whether our guilt or anxiety can be justified or not.

I am scared of the following items.

Potatoes

Peanut Butter

cheese

Rice

bread

Ice cream (even two spoons)

Home made yogurt

Canned Soups

I have recently had half a cup of small sized Tim Hortons coffee and dumped the rest out of too much guilt. I had apples with Peanut Butter and nearly cried from guilt..

I am afraid that I might be depriving myself of even the stuff that I am supposed to have..

I can and I will.

Foods that I want nothing to do with:

Everything on your list plus most crunchy foods.

Peanut butter is one of the top avoidance foods for me, too. Total slider food, anything I'd put it on other than celery is also a slider combo, poor choice for me as a guy who is on a diet. If I were at maintenance living.....then sure....peanut butter makes sense....but not during weight loss mode. It's simply a bad choice for me.

Potatoes, rice and bread.....absolute avoidance. No nutritional benefit for me while on a diet.

Ice cream and yogurt.....same idea....not for me while trying to lose weight. I know there are various yogurts that are on approved lists....but for me, they are slider foods and I simply avoid them. Down the road when I'm in maintenance.....sure....not now, though.

Canned soups......yup.....I'm avoiding that stuff, too. Many soups are bigtime slider foods that are loaded with carb calories and sodium. Not relevant for my weight loss goals. And the Cream of Whatever soups that are on many approved lists were always something I stayed well away from.

Acceptable foods for me are meats, chicken, fish, seafood, non-starch vegetables and low-carb Protein powders. This is plenty of variety. I honestly don't want to be sitting around pining for wide ranging menu options and thinking about food all the time. I simply want to eat what I need to fuel myself and continue to lose. It will not be like this forever as I'll be opening up the menu slightly as I ease into maintenance in the future.

Now, however, it's weight loss time frame and food is something that is not what I want my thoughts on.

Losing the food focus is one of the tools I'm glad was drilled into me early on by the liquid diet and simple menu options. Large and expansive menu thoughts just muddy the waters for me.

I'm afraid of Dragon Fruit...saw it in the store for the first time ever and wasn't sure if it should be eaten or caged up.

Other than that, I eat what I am supposed to. Unless certain foods make you sick they shouldn't be feared..just simply avoid them. Respect the Sleeve! A big part of this journey is about control.

@@Lema,

I think it is good to identify the foods that you are scared of. Then you can try to figure out why they make you scared, and try to decide whether you should just avoid them without worrying about it, or try to find substitutes for them, or try to include them in small servings.

On your list, there are some healthy foods that are high calorie, for example, Peanut Butter and cheese. If you’re afraid of eating too much, just skip them from now. You can easily get your Protein from foods like meat and fish, and you can easily get your Calcium from yogurt. Or, you can work on Portion Control, like choosing individually wrapped string cheese sticks and single-serve packets of Peanut Butter.< /p>

Things like rice and bread…you don’t need them right now if you’re scared. They’re just calories and carbs, and you can get enough from other foods. Processed meats? Good call (in my opinion) to be scared of them – the authorities on cancer agree!

I really don’t think you’re quite at the point of cutting out all your necessary nutrients. We all have foods that we stay away from. As long as you’re hitting your Protein and calories, and you’re adding a variety of healthy foods back in gradually as you get further out from WLS, you’re doing fine.