Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food items that I am scared of..

In here we will post about foods that we are scared of or food items that make us nervous/guilty. We will share our opinions and hopefully give each other insight on whether our guilt or anxiety can be justified or not.

I am scared of the following items.

Potatoes

Peanut Butter

cheese

Rice

bread

Ice cream (even two spoons)

Home made yogurt

Canned Soups

I have recently had half a cup of small sized Tim Hortons coffee and dumped the rest out of too much guilt. I had apples with peanut butter and nearly cried from guilt..

I am afraid that I might be depriving myself of even the stuff that I am supposed to have..

I can and I will.

Well, I'll disclaimer that I'm still learning a lot, but from what I've heard Peanut Butter in moderation is a good fat and totally bariatric friendly! (I think apples and Peanut Butter are pretty much the perfect snack.) Also I am of the mindset that coffee is okay as long as you're meeting/exceeding your daily liquid requirements, and I'm a huge advocate of cheese and I do a low sugar greek yogurt daily. :)

As far as bread, rice, potatoes, ice cream, etc... I'd say to steer clear of those for the most part.... Although I did just discover an amazing low carb/calorie "ice cream" called HaloTop and it's amazing! But I could see it being a slider or trigger food.

How far out are you from surgery? What surgery did you have? What's your daily protein/water/calorie range look like usually? It sounds a little to me like you're giving yourself a lot of unnecessary anxiety and should just try and follow the program your NUT has given you, and you'll do great!! <3

Now for foods that I'm "scared of" and basically can't keep in my house (even for my daughter) because I will devour them at whatever cost:

Junk-food pastas like macaroni and cheese / Top Ramen, ice cream, frozen junk like chicken nuggets... these are all things I've pushed the boundaries on post-surgery and paid for it, but I don't trust myself with them!

Edited by swizzle

These are foods that you're scared will make you sick or scared that once you have a little you'll overeat?

@@higher - You know, that is a good point, assuming can make an ASS out of U and Me.

@@swizzle - Penutbutter - "moderation" can be a dangerous word. It is so calorie dense you do have to watch it. See @@dubs post on his nuts...http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/359914-im-giving-up-on-my-nuts/

@@Lema - when was your surgery?

@@Lema why won't you touch them?

@OKCPirate thanks for the tip on the nuts! I'm always trying to touch them ;) (tee-hee, I'm 12!)

But really, is a tablespoon smeared over a few apple slices okay? Or is it too much of a "slider"? I'm still kinda figuring stuff out and I definitely don't want to be sabotaging myself! (It should be noted that I do keep track of calories, even though my NUT just gave me a protein/water requirement, and I usually track around 600-800 calories per day and 60-80g Protein.)

Thanks!!!

@@swizzle - Geez, 12, Please don't read my content until you are at least 21, preferably 25. Anyone who knows me on this site will completely vouch this is totally for your safety and well being. Just saying.

OK, that said, when you are in maintenance, a little (no more than a tablespoon) before bed was recommended by my nutritionist (everyone thought I was going to say nut). And I do it on days when I am eating under calories so I don't wake up tired. But it depends on where you are. At goal, no worries, before then, extreme caution.

Lol. I won't touch them because then I will taste and be reminded of the forbidden flavours and then I might be in trouble again. I consider them extremely unhealthy food.

I am also scared of processed meats.

I can and I will.

@OCKPirate Thanks on the nut clarification! ...also I'm only mentally 12. Maturity level and whatnot. ;)

@@Lema - Makes sense to me. You are an adult and allowed to make your own calls. I personally refuse to let any food item have power over me (now certain liquids are a problem, but that is another thread). But I do avoid doughy stuff, not because I want the taste, but because it just goes down wrong and seems to hang in my sleeve. It just makes me feel icky. (sorry real scientific, but that's the best way to describe it).

@OCKPirate Thanks on the nut clarification! ...also I'm only mentally 12. Maturity level and whatnot. ;)

One has to be VERY careful on the web these days. @Alex has enough problems with rude people, he doesn't need someone being accused of being a pedophile or anything. ;-) Geez what is the web coming to these days?

@OKCPirate thanks for the tip on the nuts! I'm always trying to touch them ;) (tee-hee, I'm 12!)

But really, is a tablespoon smeared over a few apple slices okay? Or is it too much of a "slider"? I'm still kinda figuring stuff out and I definitely don't want to be sabotaging myself! (It should be noted that I do keep track of calories, even though my NUT just gave me a protein/water requirement, and I usually track around 600-800 calories per day and 60-80g Protein.)

Thanks!!!

600-800 calories a day? Can one actually live on that? I certainly need to learn more about life after the surgery. I thought 1200 cals per day was the norm...

@@TracyBar - 6-800? You know it depends. Sometimes people's metabolism gets so messed up from yo-yo dieting that is what they need. Some need more. We are all the same in that we are all different. There is a great deal of trial and error and figuring out what works for you.

600-800 calories a day? Can one actually live on that? I certainly need to learn more about life after the surgery. I thought 1200 cals per day was the norm...

Thanks!!!

I agree with @@OKCPirate that everyone's different... I'm still in the first 6 months post-surgery and have read that this is a good range for this amount of time post-op, but everyone's different! I have dieted FOREVER and since I'm only 5'2" I'm almost always given the "don't go over 1200 calories" instructions, and so that's probably going to be closer to my maintenance calorie range once I've hit goal, but who knows. (My NUT did say that while she does want me to be focusing on Protein first and foremost, not ever to go over 1000 calories at this point.)