Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still stalled - and hungry. Where's the magic weight loss i was promised?

Chiming in to add: my team calculates one's Protein needs based on one's lean mass. The studies I've read online suggest that this is slightly better than calculating based on BMI, and much better than calculating based on overall weight.

I've got 125 pounds of lean mass that I'd like to preserve as much as possible, so while I'm dieting my Protein goal is 100-125g/day. In maintenance mode it may go down some.

Today, having broken my 2-week stall by reducing calories a bit, I'm down 20 pounds since surgery! I'm 6 1/2 weeks out. 16 more pounds until I'm normal (not obese, not even overweight) and 30 pounds to goal.

Too many calories. I was almost a year out before consistently going over 1000 calories. My target for the longest was 500-800

Being 4 yrs post GS...I did not track anything but Protein. I can't drink 64 oz of Water a day because it makes me retain Fluid and I am swollen. Now that I finally found Syntrax nectar....I had given up on Protein shakes because they all tasted awful to me. I tried a food diary but that made me think about food all the time...I am disabled so I don't work and don't exercise either. Everyone's body is different. I thought I would never give up sodas...but I have now and no longer crave them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

@@chycky

You should not worry about 80 grams being too much unless you have kidney disease and even then, 80 is not bad. I do have kidney disease and usually land between 65 and 85grams per day. Most of the time closer to 65.

Sorry to hear about your weight loss story. I am having terrible times with my weight lost after surgery, also. The first week post op I lost 3lbs(doing nothing, just in pain), after that nothing. In order for me to lose weight, I MUST EXERCISE continuously everyday.

What do you mean that you have to exercise continuously every day to lose weight?

You are only a few weeks post-op. You are still healing from major surgery.

What kind of exercise are you doing "continuously every day?"

Are you following your post-op program?

Tracking your food?

Getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day?

Reaching your Protein target every day? What is your Protein target?

Avoiding starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods?

Taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed?

Practicing mindful eating?

Exercising sensibly?

I have seen a couple of posts where you claim that WLS does not work but you don't provide any details about what you are and are not doing. It is hard to help and offer any helpful suggestions without more information.

What does your surgeon and/or NUT say about your progress so far?

Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Is your Protein goal total? Or maybe as I am at early stage or have weird team. They distinguish between my Protein supplement goal and just say 60 grams from shake and then the rest is not a big deal. I am 5'7. So 67. Which I have completely met but I worry that I have overdone it by doing 80 in shakes/broth and 100 total.

So confused.

You should get your lean mass tested so you know exactly how much you have and base your protein intake off of that. People that have been over 300lbs for a decent amount of time have more muscle mass than someone that is in the 200s and hasn't been obese for that long. If you have a lot of muscle mass it will help you lose more weight faster and keep your RMR/BMR higher forever. You eat for your lean mass maintenance not your weight

A lot of people that advocate eating 60ish grams of protein get stuck eating 1000-1200 calories a day forever because they have ruined their metabolism and have very little muscle mass left. The leaner you get the more protein you need to prevent muscle loss. There was a study published about this in 2011.

Consult with a Dr. Have your RMR tested, and have a DEXA scan if you can have one. Understanding the science behind what YOUR body needs is better than taking random advice from people on the internet (hey, even including me), when people have wildly varying needs based on their body composition, activity level, and dietary needs. Consult with professionals that can help you tailor something to your specific needs.

(I know this thread has moved off from my specific stall and context, but just to close the loop: I saw my doc on Monday. He agrees that my calorie range of 800-1000, with occassional up to 1200 on very heavy hiking days, is appropriate. He likes my 100-125g Protein intake. Loves that I cut way down on legumes and fruit. He said I don't have acid reflux - that I am having actual hunger pangs and should eat more when these occur. He offered appetite suppressants if I want them - I don't yet, figure I can willpower this through for a while more yet. And most of all, he thinks I'm overtraining and need to cut back on exerciise. According to him, I can't keep up my pre-surgery level of workouts without overstressing my body. So go figure: I get WLS surgery and am told to REDUCE my exercise and continue avoiding whole foods. Oh, and my pre-surgery hunger is back. Oh goody! But most importantly, I guess, I'm losing weight. Post-sleeve life is weird indeed.)

I was sleeved on 6/17! I lost 11lbs in the pre-op liquid stage! When I went back for my 5-6 week check up I had lost 27 lbs! Was in about a 2 week stall and just the past 3 days I've started losing again(4lbs) Overall I've lost 38lbs! Just stay positive and do what you are supposed to do and it will eventually start coming off! I was getting so depressed too!

Sent from my LG-D851 using the BariatricPal App

I didn't see any mention of your Protein and supplement intake. You MUST get 60 grams of protein each day. I ran out for a few days at the 6 week Mark and saw my weight loss slow by 50 percent. It got back on track as soon as I got back to Vitamin Shoppe for the Cookies & Cream mix. Also, search the site for Embrace The Stall. It is a VERY helpful thread

@@Seastars Holy crap! Your doctor offered you appetite suppressants??!!?? I'm blown away. Your hunger will ebb and flow. It will go away for a while and then creep back in. For some people, it stays away, for others, not so much. But I have never heard of a doctor offering up pills. Or am I naive? Does this happen but nobody talks about?

@@Seastars Holy crap! Your doctor offered you appetite suppressants??!!?? I'm blown away. Your hunger will ebb and flow. It will go away for a while and then creep back in. For some people, it stays away, for others, not so much. But I have never heard of a doctor offering up pills. Or am I naive? Does this happen but nobody talks about?

I have no idea if this is normal/usual. This is my first adventure into WLS. It's a weird world to be sure, questioning everything I ever knew about nutrition and health. I'm... baffled. But desperate to lose weight, so time to follow medical advice instead of what I know myself.

Oh, and hunger pangs while trying to keep a 800-1000 calorie diet SUCKS ROCKS.

According to him, I can't keep up my pre-surgery level of workouts without overstressing my body.

With an energy intake that low of course you can't.

@@Seastars Holy crap! Your doctor offered you appetite suppressants??!!??

[...]

But I have never heard of a doctor offering up pills. Or am I naive? Does this happen but nobody talks about?

Would be interesting to know.

It takes about a year to get to your ideal weight. Weight loss surgery magic is not about losing faster than a regular diet. The magic is that you now have a tool that will make it possible to keep the weight off for as long as you are willing to work with that tool.