Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still stalled - and hungry. Where's the magic weight loss i was promised?

@@Clarevoyant

Super simple - pick your favorite spice rub - I used a jarred one that I made some time ago and I only remember it had :Cumin, smoked paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.

Rub your ribs! I mean your baby back ribs with seasonings of your choice. If you don't like a rub, just used some salt and pepper.

Cut the ribs into 2 or 3 pieces.

Place 1 cup of liquid in pot. I used chicken stock but would have used apple juice had I had it on hand.

Place the trivet that comes with the pot in and place ribs in standing up

Seal the lid, switch the thingy to sealing, press manual and I would add 5 more minutes. It will start at 30, mine were fall of the bone tender but we like them when they literally fall apart. 35 minutes should do that. If you like them a little less fall apart use the 30 minutes.

Once the pot does its thing you can either use quick release or wait until the pot releases the steam by itself.

Start either your broiler or grill.

Slather ribs with your favorite BBQ Sauce and place in grill or broiler for 10 to 15 minutes until BBQ sauce Carmelizes.

Homemade peach BBQ sauce:

2 peaches, cut into small chunks

1 shallot , diced

1 to 2 cloves garlic chopped

3 tablespoons butter

1 cup ketchup

juice from 1/2 lemon

1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 to 1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Salt & pepper

2 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

In medium saucepan melt butter and sauté shallot until it is near crispy, add garlic and sauté without burning for 1 minute more.

Then add ketchup and all spices and bring to a boil.

Turn heat down and add Worcestershire and lemon and simmer for 20 minutes to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. I added another tablespoon of brown sugar because I like how it Carmelizes.

Thx! Sounds delish!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was sleeved 6/22/16.

The first week I lost 3 pounds (okay, I thought, not great but maybe I'm still full of IV fluids).

The second week I lost 3 pounds. (Okay, I thought, at least I'm losing SOMETHING.)

The third week I really upped my exercise, hiking 4-7 miles per days. I lost 5 pounds. (I thought it would be more.)

The fourth week I lost one pound.

The fifth week I lost zero pounds.

I'm in the sixth week now and have lost zero pounds.

Other than the first couple of post-op days, I'm getting in ~125g Protein per day (spread across 5 meals), very low carb, between 800 and 1200 calories. (800 was when I was losing those first 3 weeks.) Plenty of cardio, rotating among different activities (biking, hiking etc). Started up weight training. Mostly hitting my Water goal.

Yet I'm not losing weight (or sizes). And I'm huuuungry, especially shortly after shakes or soft meals. A little weak and a lot cranky. Basically this feels like the same old diet I always do.

I'm emailed my clinic and they say a stall is normal, they are "pretty sure I'll lose weight by three months out," etc. But everyone in my support group, even the lower-BMIers, are dropping almost a pound per day. Versus me; I've lost only 12 pounds in almost 6 weeks.

Help. This is the most expensive diet I've ever done - I am self-pay - and it is one of the least successful so far. (In the month BEFORE my surgery, I lost 21 pounds. Yet with a sleeve, in even more time, I've lost only 12.)

@@Seastars, Congratulations I think you're doing fabulous! You lost 21 lbs pre op, and 12 lbs within 3 weeks post op when most of us have stalled at weeks 2 and 3. I lost no lbs pre op, 14 lbs week 1 post op and then my body said HOLD UP WAIT A MINUTE!!! I stalled at week 2 and 3 with no loss but I didn't freak out. Then I lost like 3 lbs. DON'T BE SO HARD ON YOURSELF!!! Slow and steady wins the race. I personally think 1200 is high caloric intake and would not expect to see that much taken in until maybe a year or 2 out on maintenance.

Your weight is lower than many of us pre op. Your body is just making it's adjustments. You have a good 9-12 months to really get it in. So give it time. Get your Protein in, get your fluids in, get your physical activity in and you will begin to see results in no time. Re-evaluate your caloric intake with your NUT though. You should be more like at or under 800 right about now.

Good luck!! and Congrats on your progress so far!!!!

Ok I was just reviewing your stats and you have 35 lbs until goal?? You were sleeved in June?? Girl...... BYE! :D

I predict... you will be at goal by Christmas!!!

Good LUCK!!! That is amazing.

@@Seastars - I am going to suggest something very contrarian to your NUT and surgeon on your calorie goals. This is based on a couple of things I have found on the weight loss paradox that lead many of us to yo-yo on our weights:

1) From the HBO Special Weight of the Nation and summarized here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?_r=0) in order to lose and keep it off, you might need to eat far fewer carlories than "normal people." That is what I am finding. When I look at what I ate and what I eat and what I eat to maintain, it is really low. [side note, eating below your calories is actually good for long term longevity, please Google, if you disagree, PM I'll look up my research on it again]

2) My GF is a much better athlete than me. Her resting heart rate is 50. When we calculated how many calories she burns vs what I do, it isn't close. And that is part of the athlete paradox. If you have a highly functioning metabolism, it is highly efficient and again you need far fewer calories than one might expect. I wish I had kept the article, but I'll never forget it...I saw it in Men's Health, there was this fat triathlete. This guy was world class, but he was fat and 50. No one could figure out why, until someone started monitoring him when he wasn't working out. The guy had no inefficient movement. He didn't jitter. He didn't even cross his legs. When he wasn't working out he was still. He was perfectly minimally efficient.

So, may I suggest, you go back to your support team with this idea, see if they think it has merit. Your base metabolic rate may be way below the norm and even with 60-90 minute cardio, you may using fewer calories than most.

I think what people mean when they make the comparison between muscle and fat is that a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. Of course a pound is a pound is a pound.

And going along with what I said above, a pound of muscle actually takes less energy to maintain than fat. It makes evolutionary sense when you think about it. If there is surplus and you have enough food for fat, your bod gets less efficient. If you start sliding into 10-15% body fat range, your body gets VERY efficient.

candy and OKC, thank you so much! OKC,I think you are right on both points. (Underweight = longevity and better health, and I am not burning as much through exercise as my dietician calculated.). Candy, I was humbled by this stall, how very upset I got, and how relieved when I started losing again. I knew I had emotional issues around my weight and dieting, but yikes - way to get melodramatic. I'm also surprised at how surprised I am that my dietician is wrong. An R.D. degree doesn't make her perfect. (And I am finding that my clinic's "one size fits all" post-op rules DON'T fit everyone, especially people who had a high level of fitness - and "efficient muscles" - pre-op.)

I also really appreciate the tips on acid reducers,how my current dosage might not be enough and how acid release can seem like hunger pangs.

Way too many calories!

Go back to basics, also remember that sleeved patients will loose slower than bypass.

Are you truly hungry? Or are you experiencing "Head Hunger"? I experienced "Head Hunger" at about 3-4 weeks out. I wasn't really hungry, but I saw everyone around me eating and thought I should be eating as well. I have read a lot about WLS and try to prepare myself for every possible obstacle. I have read lots of books and watch video's on YouTube etc. I have learned to Plan because when you plan ahead you are more prepared and less likely to stray. I use an app on my I-phone called my fitness pal. It tracks my food, exercise, Water and I can see how much Protein I have eaten etc. You can customize it. I have mine set to 1000 calories a day. You can set how much Protein , carbs, fat etc. I think I need to increase my calories be I am burning 500+ calories a day at the gym 6 days a week. I follow an extremely low carb diet. I push myself everyday at the gym. Maybe try keeping a journal and a food journal and see if that helps. You may be taking in more than you think if you aren't currently keeping a food journal. Wishing you the best.

Personally, I think the caloric intake is too high. I had my surgery on 7/14/16. Stage 3 -- days 3-14 after surgery -- I was only allowed 1-2 oz o f mushy, soft, high Protein food (no red meat). Stage 4 -- days 15-30 after surgery-- I'm eating 2-3 oz regular textured high Protein meals and I can add 1-2 Tblspoons of soft canned fruits in Water or bananas and/or 1/2 high Fiber cereals. In Stage 5 -- at 1 month -- I can eat 3-4 oz regular textured high protein meals and red meat is allowed plus lettuce w/low cal dressing or soft non-starchy vegetables. Throughout these stages, I'm must include 40 total grams per day by drink protein.

The drink protein is usually between 160-210 calories. But since I'm in Stage 4, I'm only getting 300-400 calories with regular food, plus the drink protein. I'm one of those people losing about a pound a day.

And to be honest, I'm looking at the future stages, and I don't see that I'll really ever get much above 800 calories. I'm pretty happy as I feel good and energetic, especially when I make sure I'm getting 7-8 hours of sleep.

I do track my food intake and I weigh everything so far, and I eat 3 meals per day (no Snacks at this point). The only exercise I'm doing at this point is walking about 30 minutes per day. But I will start swimming as soon as the rain stops.

Everyone that worked with me has made it clear that this sleeve is a tool, not magic. If I were you, I'd talk to your nutritionist again and talk about the caloric intake.

I met with the registered dietitian this last week. She said people are often told to eat waaaay too much Protein. Even though I have to focust on Protein first, she said for a woman, my goal is 65g. Only 6'+ men should be eating 100g. Just a thought.

I met with the registered dietitian this last week. She said people are often told to eat waaaay too much Protein. Even though I have to focust on Protein first, she said for a woman, my goal is 65g. Only 6'+ men should be eating 100g. Just a thought.

My surgeon says the opposite; most people don't eat enough protein.

My protein target is 100 grams (all men and women who start out with a BMI of over 50). Women who start out under a BMI 50 have a target of 80 grams.

My protein target is 100 grams (all men and women who start out with a BMI of over 50). Women who start out under a BMI 50 have a target of 80 grams.

Did/does your protein target change to 80 at below 50? Just curious.

Did/does your protein target change to 80 at below 50? Just curious.

Nope. It never changes down. His reasoning is that with less protein, my body/brain reads reduced protein as a famine.

@@Armygalbonnie

My Bariatric nurse and nutritionist have told me the same thing. Their rule of thumb is 1 gram of Protein for every 1 inch you are tall.

When I first has surgery, it was confusing to me that my Protein goals were much lower than many on this site some of them well over 100 grams.

I went back many many times asking that specific question and like you was given a goal much closer to 70 daily and for me that is really important because I have a history of chronic kidney disease. I have asked, is that my goal because I have had kidney disease or would that be my goal regardless. I have been told regardless, 1 gram for every 1 inch.

They just reiterated that I should not head above those numbers ever for me but if I was just anyone else without kidney disease I would still be told 70 grams because I am 70 inches tall.

Mine also has from day 1 said. I don't believe in protein first. I believe in balance because it sets you up for maintenance. 2 bites of protein for every 1 bite of good carbs like veggies and fruit.< /p>

I have been eating that way since day 1 and so far it is working for me.

It can all be so confusing!

Is your Protein goal total? Or maybe as I am at early stage or have weird team. They distinguish between my Protein supplement goal and just say 60 grams from shake and then the rest is not a big deal. I am 5'7. So 67. Which I have completely met but I worry that I have overdone it by doing 80 in shakes/broth and 100 total.

So confused.