Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I had weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve) in 2009 with a starting weight of about 390. I lost about 100 lbs and today weight 280 (275 on a good day). I went through a period of re-gaining during 2012-2013 and decided to join Weight Watchers before I re-gained everything. I joined WW at 350 lbs in the Spring of 2013. Withing about 1.5 years I dropped 75 lbs, bringing me to my current weight. I'm still a WW member but have not lost additional weight in about the last year or so. I've just maintained.

I wanted to provide this background information since it might be helpful, but my (desperate) desire to have a brachioplasty began as a child. Large, nearly deformed upper arms run in my family, and I have never once in my pre-teen, teen or adult years shown my upper arms in public. At every school dance or wedding, I wore a shawl (literally sewn to my dress so that it could never slip off). Every time I have worn a bathing suit, I've worn a t-shirt over it. Even at my lowest adult weight (in college) of 180 lbs, I never dared show my arms.

My arms are a significant source of grief for me. The sight of them makes me sad. Even the thought of them makes me sad. They limit what I can wear beyond what I'm already limited to as a plus size shopper. The arms of shirts are often too tight to fit me, or they are so thin/fitted that my mammouth mounds of flesh show right through. I don't even wear short sleeve shirts, only shits that are at least elbow-length cover enough of my arm to make me feel comfortable in public.

Getting back to my weight journey: I see myself losing additional weight, at some point in the future. Maybe 50 lbs. But my current focus is on maintaining, and I'm fed up with these arms. I decided to return to the BP community to get information, insight and referrals. Can anyone recommend a surgeon in the Chicago area? Am I going to be completely black balled because of my weight?

I am including several pictures here.

Thank you,

Nina

post-151332-0-51832100-1469223002_thumb.jpg

post-151332-0-46558400-1469223005_thumb.jpg

post-151332-0-10961000-1469223008_thumb.jpg

post-151332-0-39632700-1469223011_thumb.jpg

post-151332-0-34770700-1469223014_thumb.jpg

post-151332-0-78874100-1469223016_thumb.jpg

Edited by BananaGal

You shouldn't be "black balled" for any reason. You are the patient paying for a service, no one has a right to judge. They may, however, advise you that for the best result that you be at and maintaining goal weight.

@@BananaGal Yes, remember you are the patient, and the paying customer.....The surgeon will advise you on how to get the best outcome, but if you get anything close to "black balling".....you're in the wrong surgeons office!

What I would expect is they would tell you what could be accomplished with surgery at your current weight and advise you that an additional surgery may be needed down the road as you lose additional weight.

I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations of surgeons in your area but just make sure you choose a board certified plastic/reconstructive surgeon.

Good luck to you!

Totally agree they will advice you what they can do at your current weight and what revision will be required when or if you get to your goal weight. They may suggest waiting but it should be up to you. I say go for it your unhappy and the change in your arms might be what you need to push you forward and motivate you to get to that next goal. Good Luck I hope keep us updated with what you do

Thank you everyone for your replies. I've been so relived to receive positive feedback on this. I avoided even asking the question for so long because I figured it was a total non-starter. I feel now like I can at least check things out and go for a consultation or two (or three or four:)). Again, thank you for the advice and feedback - I really appreciate it!

Hi All,

I had weight loss surgery (gastric sleeve) in 2009 with a starting weight of about 390. I lost about 100 lbs and today weight 280 (275 on a good day). I went through a period of re-gaining during 2012-2013 and decided to join Weight Watchers before I re-gained everything. I joined WW at 350 lbs in the Spring of 2013. Withing about 1.5 years I dropped 75 lbs, bringing me to my current weight. I'm still a WW member but have not lost additional weight in about the last year or so. I've just maintained.

I wanted to provide this background information since it might be helpful, but my (desperate) desire to have a brachioplasty began as a child. Large, nearly deformed upper arms run in my family, and I have never once in my pre-teen, teen or adult years shown my upper arms in public. At every school dance or wedding, I wore a shawl (literally sewn to my dress so that it could never slip off). Every time I have worn a bathing suit, I've worn a t-shirt over it. Even at my lowest adult weight (in college) of 180 lbs, I never dared show my arms.

My arms are a significant source of grief for me. The sight of them makes me sad. Even the thought of them makes me sad. They limit what I can wear beyond what I'm already limited to as a plus size shopper. The arms of shirts are often too tight to fit me, or they are so thin/fitted that my mammouth mounds of flesh show right through. I don't even wear short sleeve shirts, only shits that are at least elbow-length cover enough of my arm to make me feel comfortable in public.

Getting back to my weight journey: I see myself losing additional weight, at some point in the future. Maybe 50 lbs. But my current focus is on maintaining, and I'm fed up with these arms. I decided to return to the BP community to get information, insight and referrals. Can anyone recommend a surgeon in the Chicago area? Am I going to be completely black balled because of my weight?

I am including several pictures here.

Thank you,

Nina

I totally understand where you are coming from. I have always carried my weight in my upper arms and for the last 35 years or so I have hid my arms from anyone other than my husband seeing them. The bigger they got, the more embarrassed I got.

I had Bariatric surgery almost 2 years ago and got to goal last March. This summer has been hard because I am at a great weight yet when you look at me, you would still see these giant arms that were both saggy and filled with residual fat that just would not leave my body.

2 weeks ago I had an appt. with a plastic surgeon who has excellent ratings. I live in Pewaukee wi. Not far from Chicago at all. Her name is Dr. Maida Parkins and she is in Delafield WI. I met her on Monday and on Thursday I had my brachioplasty. You would not believe the results. My arms are tiny, well defined, the skin is perfect and they look like I am in my early 20's.

I cannot wait to get the dressings off in 2 weeks. I will tell you it hurts like hell, itches like crazy, in fact I am sitting with ice packs on both arms as I type. It is worth every single ounce of pain I have gone through and would do it 100 times more!

Dr. Parkins is an artist and extremely caring and she totally gets it! It would be worth the couple hour trip for you. My brachioplasty cost $5950.00. She will also be performing an Abdominalplasty and breast lift with implants in the near future for me. I am attaching my before pics and after. Unfortunately the show upside down and I don't know how to fix that. I would be happy to share them via email along with the post surgery ones that show the bruising if you are interested. Just PM me with your email address.

post-237953-0-65254900-1469376299_thumb.jpeg post-237953-0-42755900-1469376322_thumb.jpeg

@@Djmohr Thank you for sharing your recent experience and for the local referral. I think I'm going to check out Dr. Parkins. Your after pictures look great already!

@@BananaGal

One day this week I will be taking my 2 week post op pics and will post them for you to see without the compression garment. The bruises are going down as is the swelling and they really do look fantastic.

I am ready to start burning all my cover up sweaters, jackets, shrugs......I am sure you get it. I feel like I want to go sleeveless forever! Even in the winter HAHAHAHA

Please do post - I'm very interested as this is something I want done as well. :)