Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes, yes, yes. About 6 weeks post op I began having major depression issues. I started on Zoloft, and it really helped.

However, for three weeks I took the smallest dose and didn't gain or lose any weight. I had a follow up with my surgeon and he was concerned that I started a new med without contacting him.

He explained that most SRIs have a side effect of weight gain and since I wasn't losing, I needed to stop taking them.

I weaned off and instantly began losing rapidly. Unfortunately, I can also feel the depression creeping back. I'm trying to work through it with long walks and summer activities. Also, I see a therapist.

It's a bad and strange place to be because on one hand, I'm happy about my success. On the other, I'm grieving my old life, clothes, habits and activities.

It's hard but you'll get through it! Just remember not to make any serious decisions (like changing jobs or ending relationship) while you're recovering.

I had depression before surgery but it got 100 times worse after it. I found it was because I couldn't eat like I used too and friends weren't as supportive as I thought they were.

The wonderful people on this site suggested I see a therapist that specializes in bariatric patients, do some more exercise and take certain Vitamins.

I also know I was depressed because I thought my body dysmorphia would get better but its gotten worse. I'm in therapy for that now. So I highly just suggest therapy.

I am 5 days post op and i am battling some serious depression. Thinking I was being impulsive and didn't think this through at all. Missing my comfort food right now. I'm starving. When does the weight start to come off?

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

Omg I was you exactly! I wondered why I mutilated my body all to be skinny! That will subside..those thoughts anyway. I won't lie to you..this is a 24 hour job. More work than I ever thought it would be. Recovery was rough, but it does get better, I promise. I am 9.5 weeks out and still think there should be a switch for my brain to shutoff my cravings or desire to stray from the precise diet..especially right after surgery. I'd be happy to exchange numbers and text with you as that might be easier. My name is Kari Ann. Or Facebook.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

How much have you lost?

I am 5 days post op and i am battling some serious depression. Thinking I was being impulsive and didn't think this through at all. Missing my comfort food right now. I'm starving. When does the weight start to come off?

At 5 days post-OP, you should already be losing weight. Call your doctor and see if he can see you about this.

I disagree. You are swollen and healing and we're pumped full of IV fluids at the hospital.

Stay off the scale.

Unless you have pain or complications, your first follow-up appointment is soon enough to see your doctor.

Just follow your program and focus on getting in all of your fluids and Protein. You need both to heal. The weight loss will come.

Total agreement with you.

I came home from the hospital 11 pounds heavier than I was the morning I went in for surgery.....using the same scales at home.

All I could do was laugh because all I'd ingested over my stay was a total of 10 oz of Premier Protein-vanilla the day after surgery before they released me. The inflammation and IV fluids really did a number.

I seem to remember it being gone 7 days later.

My surgeon told me during that first appointment on my 7th day that he doesn't look at the scale the first two weeks anyway. I kidded with him and said that would have been some nice info to disclose to me ahead of time, lol.