Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I need a good kick in the a$$...

the life change can certainly do it for you. I have had recent stress in my life and for the first time post sleeve I have to remind myself to eat and drink. The night before I came back to work I decided I needed to pull myself up by the bootstraps and act like a normal (post WLS) person. I ate my normal (baby size) dinner. waited almost the full 30 minutes to drink, and wanted to finish the last of my Vitamin Water zero before going to bed. big mistake. sick, very sick, for the first time since surgery. I now know what the foamies are. YUK. and I know that it is painful to vomit post sleeve.

so now, I go easier on myself. try to meet fluids first, Protein second and just doing the best I can. Hopefully as you get further out from these life changes your appetite will settle and things will be normal. your Vitamins should keep you in good shape if you are not having any trouble with taking them.

please let us know how you're doing.

I was sorry to hear about your father Christinamo7.

I'm not sure that stress is much of a factor on my end though. There were changes, sure, but nothing I didn't want and need. The only part that's even remotely straining is the living situation (nothing like moving into your mother's guest room at 35! :P), but I wouldn't consider that anything worse than 'not ideal'. Its just an adjustment period.

Okay this is taking too long. I'm going to start multi-quoting...

Maybe you could shift your mental focus toward the "getting healthy" goal for a while. You've lost weight like a house afire. You know you can lose weight. Don't misunderstand -- I'm not saying you should stop doing that. I'm just suggesting that you focus on the nutrition you're getting in and how it will support your body's health.

Does that even make any sense?

That makes perfect sense. And for the most part, I feel that this has largely been my attitude. I've not been terribly worried about my weight loss - I know it will come as long as I don't let myself slip back into old eating patterns or start eating around my pouch. I don't even really think about my stalls until I've had them for over 2 weeks (yes I know - 2 week stalls - honeymoon phase problems...). I do need to focus more on my nutrition though and just suck. It. Up.

I hope you find a solution soon! You have done a phenomenal job so far ...Protein can be such a struggle some days

Thanks Thecloude1! :D

@@CHM - may I suggest you start evaluating yours self weekly and not daily? We (and you know who you are) can be too hard on ourselves in our daily self talk. Weekly goals and targets seems to work better for me. There are those days. And look this week, I have been off in la-la land thanks to a virus. And I know I'm sick, but I was still beating myself up for not getting enough Protein. ;-/ Life and events happen, sometimes you need to do forest management instead of inspecting trees.

This is a good idea. I think I will indeed shift my focus to my weekly averages rather than daily numbers. Except for Water of course. That sh*t NEEDS to be checked daily, if only to keep the headaches at bay!

I would suggest you really try your best to get your calories up.

By having low calories for an extended period of time it will damage your metabolism... and once it is damaged.. as soon as you go above your new RMR you will gain weight... and you already have had the bypass...conversion to other surgeries is limited.

Pleased try your best to increase your calories... can you add a healthier Protein rich semi slider food.. just to reach your Protein and calorie goals?

What are your macros like? Are you having small amounts of complex carbs?... reason being is that you might still be in ketosis if you are limiting your carbs.. which when in ketosis it reduces your appetite.. so that could also be contributing.

I am all too familiar with the metabolic effects of extended malnourishment. The damage I did in my teens took over a decade to remedy, and I'm still not 100% sure that it's 'undone'.

What would be an example of a protein-rich semi-slider food? I'm honestly drawing a blank.

As for carbs, I typically avoid starches, save for maybe a bite or two if I'm really wanting it. My daily average for the same 4 week time period is 37g (net carbs round down to 23g, though my Protein Bars already track net carbs), and that is mostly dairy, with a bit from veggies and the occasional fruit. I do my very best to keep that number under 50g even on days when my calories actually hit 4-digits. I guess I don't really do 'complex' carbs. I don't know how low they have to be for ketosis though.

@@CHM

As Christinamo7 mentioned, stress could be the cause. You had lot of major changes in your life recently, and no bariatric support in your new area...

...Just lost my appetite, and major stress does that to me...

I wish you well, good luck with your new life, and keep well girl!

Lots of great support here.

Hugs to you xxxx

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time right now krakow57.

Again though, unless I'm just completely lying to myself (not likely), I'm not sure that I'm all that stressed. I'll admit I don't like the medical end of things. I hate that I can't call my former medical team to ask about pouch pain when drinking, and that I'm self-treating a suspected Vitamin D deficiency (which I've had before and am familiar with the symptoms of) because I can't get my levels checked to know for sure.

I know I definitely don't eat well on days that I'm sad or upset. Boredom aside, emotions and food don't mix well for me. Never have really.

Thank you for the well wishes. And you're right, this IS a great place for support. Sounds like you may need to take advantage as well... :)

Starting a thread was indeed a good idea, aye?

What wonderful support you have gotten! Sometimes I know it seems like we are the only person in the world to feel some particular way or to hit some private wall. Just knowing that others have hit the same bumps in the road that you have sometimes helps...

It WAS a good idea, and I have indeed received wonderful support. I never imagined I was alone, however. I know from perusing these forums that eating without appetite is not an uncommon struggle around here. ;-)

This also seems like an appropriate place to ask another question...

@@KindaFamiliar and I were talking a bit ago trying to come up with some Protein dense foods that are also calorie dense, so we can hit our Protein goals without having to stuff ourselves all day to hit our calorie goals. We couldn't really come up with anything that wasn't also unreasonably heavy in the fat department.

Anyone? Anyone?

Well anything below 50g will keep you in ketosis if you are avoiding sugars.... maybe try going slightly above that for 3 days and see what happens to your appetite.

Semi sliders.... lentil chips, roasted chickpeas, hummus dip with high Protein crackers.. slices of turkey, thinnly sliced salmon..

You understand the importance of your metabolism and how important it is and how long it takes to recover from a damaged one, i think health is the priority here, not weight loss... cause you have done an awesome job!

Edited by AussieGirl81

This also seems like an appropriate place to ask another question...

@@KindaFamiliar and I were talking a bit ago trying to come up with some Protein dense foods that are also calorie dense, so we can hit our Protein goals without having to stuff ourselves all day to hit our calorie goals. We couldn't really come up with anything that wasn't also unreasonably heavy in the fat department.

Anyone? Anyone?

Good fats can be ok.

Peanut Butter.

Try adding Protein powder and PB2 to oatmeal.

Add a half an avocado to your meal.

Add a half a banana to your meal, Protein shake, or similar.

Add melted cheese to mashed potatoes.

Bake a small sweet potato.

You can eat good fats and complex carbs. It sounds like that you would really benefit from increasing your protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs.

Chobani greek yoghurt, 1/2 cup (120g) has 12g Protein

Add Premium whey Iso Burst Protein Powder: 1 scoop (30g) has 24g Protein

The 2 below are dense Proteins and dense calories, but are more fatty:

Fresh Salmon poached, 1/2 cup has 24g Protein

Lamb mince, 1/2 cup has 18g Protein

cheese sauce with my vegetables.

I actually live on Salmon these days, both fresh and tinned.

I also cook chicken mince, and have lamb mince at times.

Beef does not agree with me at this stage.

Good luck :)

@

I supercharge my lamb mince by adding chickpeas and then serving with a big dollop of greek yoghurt (Mediterranean style).. so yummy

I make turkey mince "tacos" wrapped in lettuce - thats my fave right now

Also lamb mince with hummus..... link below... super duper Protein rich

Link http://www.recipetineats.com/hummus-lamb/

Edited by AussieGirl81

Hmmm ... good, "slider" Protein ... cheese, wonderful cheese!

Below are a few ideas, with a caveat: I think you could consider combining a delicious cheese Protein with complex, tasty carbs, to meet both of your goals: (1) hit your protein targets and (2) increase your physical and mental energy (which has to come from carbs).

* Slices of full-fat cheese on seed crackers (those crackers are higher Fiber, higher protein than crap crackers) are lovely. I put sugar-free strawberry jam on the cracker before adding the cheese. Love it!

* Grilled ham / cheese sandwiches (using whole grain, low-cal, high-fiber, high protein bread - Aldi's Fit & Active whole wheat whole grain bread is only 35 calories/slice). You don't actually have to "grill" the sandwiches -- you can just toast the bread, put on the ham and cheese, and nuke the sandwich for 20-30 seconds, which warms up the ham and melts the cheese a little without uncrisping the bread.

* Chili with cheese - I make my chili with lean ground beef, black Beans, diced tomatoes and chili seasoning. Very simple. Put your portion of chili in a cup, nuke some cheese on the top and add a dollop of sour cream.

* Cheese with sliced apple - Not sure you're able to eat apple slices yet, but if so this is a nice snack between meals.

For me, the trick is finding great tasting cheese: Aged cheddars, bleu cheeses, goat cheeses, Edams, Goudas, etc. And that's not hard at all. :)

Good luck!

@@VSGAnn2014

You rule! You just reminded me of something we can have..

Pate!... we can have pate with cheese... pate is around 15g Protein... high in Iron, B12, Vitamin A...

i didn't even think of that before i saw your post on cheeses!...

I don't think I saw it mentioned, but one way I know for sure to increase your appetite is to increase your activity. I don't mean going for walks or bicycling though. Go to the gym and do some weights. Strength training too, not feather weights with the false belief of "toning". Many times women worry the they will bulk up if the lift heavy things. The only way that will happen is if you start supplementing. However, if you start doing heavy weight training, you body will be screaming for sustenance. The key here though is to find those Protein dense foods. Whole milk and cheese of course being a great choice.

Best of luck to you!

I've been struggling with meeting my Protein goals too - it seems that after surgery, I am having a harder time tolerating the protien shakes that I could before.

I took up Viffer's idea of baking them, I was probably doing something wrong when baking it! :D I could eat it, if I remembered to take really small bites, but if I took a big one - gah! only way to get it down was to drink Water while eating it. Im still working on perfecting that though - eating it is a lot easer for me then drinking.

Finally figured out I can put it in my cream of wheat and be fine eating it that way. Water goals I have no problems with... just gettingmy Protein in. Friday is payday, so I'm going to buy some shakes for work, and try a different Protein Powder with MORE protein in it - so hopefully I won't have to eat/drink as much of it to meet goal.

Edited by Raenh

BTW - what is Pate??

and @@BigViffer is aboslutely right about the working out bit - I remember before surgery when I'd go to the gym - I'd do 30 mins on treadmill then go workout on the machines (i'm not brave enough to do free weights yet - roommate hangs out there) I'd be RAVENOUS afterwards...

just a few more weeks til I can return to doing weights... I started back at the gym last night - did 30 mins... and it felt so good to be back there, can't wait until tonight - I have my first Water aerobics class in years :)

@@CHM

I think I've found your appetite. Do you want it back? I think I'm done with it.

@

Pate is duck/chicken livers that are made into a paste, and they add herbs and spices... its actually really yum... its french and goes really well with cheese.