Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things you wish you'd known.

Wish I had researched more about what "could" happen. Everything bad that could happen to me post op has and I am looking at around a year to recover. I didn't know about "food revulsion" which can lead to malnutrition, didn't know about how many have to lose their gallbladder, lactose intolerance, abscesses after surgery etc.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What exactly is food revulsion? I am 45 days post op and I'm having trouble finding things I want to eat and I'm actually afraid of eating solid foods still. I am supplementing with the Protein shakes, my nutritionist says I should be trying to solid foods everyday but I haven't been able to make this happen yet, working on it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

My surgery went perfectly without I'll side effects. What I wish I had known prior was what supplements would work for me afterwards. I bought a buck of stuff, but ended up not wanting to swallow pig pills, or not liking Gummy Vitamin texture, or flavors, etc. I bought more and more trying to find things I could stomach and still the nutrition I needed. I finally was introduced to Zeal, which is a whole foods powdered supplement that you mix with a little Water or juice, and drink once a day. It has over 100 Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, and more and gave me energy and made me feel amazing. I've had full panel blood work done three times now, and each one came out perfect, so I know I'm getting everything my body needs. That's what I wish I had known about before surgery. If you have stuff that works for you, great! If not, you might want to give this stuff a try. You can't buy it in store, but here is where I order it: www.zurvita.com/jjwhitman

Worth every penny.

Everyone said that you would lose some friends after the surgery.. I didn't think it would happen to me or that I would care for a friend like that.. It happened to me and I cared for her.

I had also bought lots of cloths that I was going to fit in to someday. Over the years before I had decided I was going to get the surgery as well as shortly before.. Bad bad bad idea. You don't know how your body will change. I have to give away cloths with price tags on them. I could have saved the money and spent it on myself now.

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

Everyone said that you would lose some friends after the surgery.. I didn't think it would happen to me or that I would care for a friend like that.. It happened to me and I cared for her.

I had also bought lots of cloths that I was going to fit in to someday. Over the years before I had decided I was going to get the surgery as well as shortly before.. Bad bad bad idea. You don't know how your body will change. I have to give away cloths with price tags on them. I could have saved the money and spent it on myself now.

English is my 6th language so forgive me if my sentences don't make any sense at times!

I've heard that too luckily I already have very few friends. I guess my issue would be with people wanting to be my friend that didn't want to be my friend before. Lol. Who knows.

Clothing is another thing that has me all up in arms...currently I could use a few more work outfits but I keep telling myself it would not be smart. Im gonna try my best to keep wearing what I have...because I still have a trunk of clothes that are too tight. Just gonna wear them all until I start to look like a clown. Lol!

My surgery went perfectly without I'll side effects. What I wish I had known prior was what supplements would work for me afterwards. I bought a buck of stuff, but ended up not wanting to swallow pig pills, or not liking Gummy Vitamin texture, or flavors, etc. I bought more and more trying to find things I could stomach and still the nutrition I needed. I finally was introduced to Zeal, which is a whole foods powdered supplement that you mix with a little Water or juice, and drink once a day. It has over 100 Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, and more and gave me energy and made me feel amazing. I've had full panel blood work done three times now, and each one came out perfect, so I know I'm getting everything my body needs. That's what I wish I had known about before surgery. If you have stuff that works for you, great! If not, you might want to give this stuff a try. You can't buy it in store, but here is where I order it: www.zurvita.com/jjwhitman

Worth every penny.

Thanks for the information! I was just going to go along with the Bariatric Advantage vitamins that the surgeons dietitian recommended, Im glad to have another quality option now.

I wish I had known how unbelievably different I would feel at goal. There were a few difficult times along the way but if I had know how good goal would feel, I might have moved thru easier. I wish I could have trusted how loving and amazing my friends and family would be. It wouldn't have kept me from doing the surgery for so long. I wish I had known and accepted I am a food addict and that it was an addiction I would always live with but could control. I wish I had known my therapist would be key to my success and I wouldn't have dreaded going so many times. Sure there are some scary things but man is it worth it! Best wishes to you as you move thru the emotions of making this decision!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using the BariatricPal App

Cervidae, people are cruel and I don't understand it. I am xray technologist and I have to run circles around my thin co workers because my boss thinks over weight people are lazy. It's just rediculous

Gina, I have not heard of this. You have had such a hard time . I hope you heal quickly and get to feel healthy again . May I ask why you have abdominal abscesses. ? I am in process of getting all tests completed for the sleeve and I have read a lot about illnesses after the surgery. I do dread being nauseated . I'm nauseated daily and I don't know why

No one has told me why I developed an abscess. A friend of mine who had the same surgery at the same place is gravely ill in hospital with an abscess on her spleen. Neither of our abscesses can be drained due to their dangerous positions.

@@MinaDina,

Good question! I definitely agree I wish I’d known how easy it is to be put to sleep and wake up. I spent a lot of energy worrying about it, and it was the easiest part of the whole journey, not to mention the most restful, deepest sleep of my life.

To lower your chances of getting what happened to @@GinaCampbell, I would suggest a couple of things. One is, as has been suggested, to do all the research and reading you can, and to ask questions, like you’re doing. Another is to know where to go and whom to ask for help. After surgery, if you suspect something is wrong, don’t wait another second. Get help. The worst that can happen is that your doctor or nutritionist tells you not to worry.

Of course, you can’t avoid everything, so do be sure you know the risks. I wish I had known that I would be chronically dealing with the issue of whether to fill or unfill my band – I spend probably too much time thinking about it. However, it’s honestly not a big deal, so I can’t complain, and you’re going for bypass, so not an issue.

One other thing I wish I had known is how long “forever” is. Once you stop losing weight, it can be a little harder to be motivated day after day after day to eat right and exercise. However, hopefully you will get into the healthy habits while you are losing weight, and you will be so appreciative of the benefits that you will not be tempted to stray.

I've heard that too luckily I already have very few friends. I guess my issue would be with people wanting to be my friend that didn't want to be my friend before. Lol. Who knows.

Clothing is another thing that has me all up in arms...currently I could use a few more work outfits but I keep telling myself it would not be smart. Im gonna try my best to keep wearing what I have...because I still have a trunk of clothes that are too tight. Just gonna wear them all until I start to look like a clown. Lol!

I am a nurse so I can get away with baggy uniforms at work. I won't buy anymore until I know I can use it down the line..

I can and I will.

food revulsion occurs when the thought of taking in food literally feels repulsive. Not the same as anorexia but the effect is the same. I have developed an abdominal abscess, was given a near fatal dose of cyclizine, have been in and out of hospital on IV antibiotics then oral ones which has led to rapid weight loss, now gallbladder issues. Had several CT scans, back in Weds for another one.

I'm so sorry. I hope things work out

Sent from my SM-G928C using the BariatricPal App

I've read many people say the pain after surgery was minimal and how they cartwheeled out of the hospital..nah..you're in pain

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

You are so right. I'm one day post op and the gas pain in my chest is bad. Did ECG and that came back normal. Finally was able to have tea this afternoon and got some relief. Incisions no pain at all but oh the gas pains.

Shantell500

@@illailla I had more pain from the morphine make my intestines shut down every time they gave it to me that my actual stomach and incisions.

The pain was minimal. It just felt like I did 1000 crunches. I walked around my ward all night after surgery and went home the following afternoon.

The worst thing post op was the shoulder ache, that was brutal because it was dull and constant with no relief.

I wish I knew post op life was going to be so easy and enjoyable. I would have had surgery years ago.

I wish I knew how much pain I was in from carrying around a whole entire person in extra weight. I had no idea I was in so much pain until it was gone.