Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm at the point where I'm feeling like this surgery just isn't meant to be. I just want to give up, but I really really don't.

1. I am losing medicaid at the end of the year. This is definite. I may or may not have other insurance by then, no way of knowing for a while now. There is (was) a slim chance I could get the surgery done in December IF all the stars aligned up just right (already had two weigh ins with my PCP, so if those counted I might be able to get in by December if the surgeon's office accepted those weigh ins.

2. I was supposed to meet with the surgeon, dietitian, and counselor on July 21st and get everything started. Got an email today that they have to reschedule me. I have to call tomorrow to find out when.

3. I was already considering going to Mexico with my tax refund if I had to, but I don't want to do this. I need my tax refund for other bills. But now I may have to do this anyway.

4. I'm having trouble getting info about how everything works for surgery in Mexico. I have severe anxiety and can't make phone calls. But I get one line answers in email. I'm frustrated. I'm pretty sure I want to use Dr. Illan but I need more info. I don't even know yet how much it would cost at my BMI. He's already talking about needing a $500 deposit but I'm not doing that blindly and I just can't get any answers.

I'm frustrated and sad and crying and I don't want to give up but I feel like everything is against me. *sigh*

Edited by WitchySar

Will you have Cobra after your insurance is up?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@WitchySar

I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. I really hope that you don't give up and keep working through this. I promise it is worth the work in the end.

Is it possible to call that doctors office that rescheduled you and explain your situation? Maybe they would be able to get you back in sooner.

If you have to go the Mexico route, then I would work hard to do that.

This is what I mean when there are people like this who have to fight tooth and nail to get this surgery. Please don't give up. Understand that this could give you a whole different life.

Is there anyone that can help you with the phone calls?

I'm sorry this has been difficult for you. Call your surgeon's office and explain about the insurance. Maybe they'll get you in sooner. Is there another surgeon you can use that might work quicker with you? I would just call the patient coordinator and explain your situation. I hope all works out well.

Check out the forums for people who have used Mexico.

I know medicaid doesn't cobra so I would echo that suggestion to the people that rescheduled you and hope their interest in keeping patient will help get you in.

You could also start shopping around the ACA marketplace plans for options post Medicaid if you have to do that route.

Don't give up, my friend. Sometimes, we just have to "come through the back door to get to the lobby".

Why not call your Medicaid case worker and get her/him on board for you??

She (if she is dedicated to your cause and good at her job) could help you do your phone calling. She may be willing to speak with your doctor's offices on your behalf.

If you have an anxiety disorder that is being exasperated by the stress of WLS processes that may actually work in your favor as an additional reason for an "sooner than later" surgical date.

Ask your caseworker to explain all of above to the scheduler at your doctors' offices. A compassionate scheduler who is worthy of her/his title should be able to get you seen within your time parameters.

Don't give up!! With a couple of devoted and determined folks working with you and for you, you WILL be successful

I know it!

It may be time to "think out of the box" and be creative. There are many members who can be very creative on this site.

Please, keep posting. We won't give up on you just as long as YOU don't.

Deal??

This was to be my first appointment with the surgeon's office. The 21st was the absolute soonest they could get me in. I made the appointment on June 3rd. The first appointment is a meeting with the surgeon, dietitian, and counselor so they only do them on certain days because the appointments take about 3 hours. Because of my husband's work schedule I'm even more limited (he has rotating days off). The 21st worked out perfectly. *sigh*

This was the closest medicaid surgeon I could find that could get me in before September. One wouldn't even talk to me until I did 6 months with my PCP first.

My county doesn't have dedicated case workers. You call a call center number, stay on hold for literally an hour or more, and then talk to a person who can only give you limited info. The whole process here is messed up.

I just feel so defeated. It's like every step I take there is something there trying to push me off the path. I don't really have anyone else who can make the calls for me. There's my husband but he's not so good with calling doctor's offices.

I checked the ACA marketplace and there is nothing we can afford. I'm going to have to wait until my husband is hired on permanently and then get on whatever insurance he gets through there (he thinks it's Cigna) but I don't know when that will be, or if it'll cover WLS at all.

I know I just need to wait and call the surgeon's office tomorrow and see what happens. I'm just so frustrated right now I want to cry.

WitchySar sorry you're facing such difficulties in trying to get your surgery. Your frustration, anxiety and fears are all understandable. I really hope the surgeon's office is able to work with you so you can get in before you lose the Medicaid. It sounds like you will need to push them hard to understand the constraints of your timeline. Make sure you tell them that you will lose insurance at the end of the year.

If you are not able to move forward with them, Mexico is a great option. I personally had my surgery in Mexico because my insurance here in the US did not cover WLS at all. I did my research on surgeons, hospitals and patient reviews. I had surgery with Dr. Ramos Kelly and he was wonderful. He is very well qualified, I was able to talk to him several times directly before going down for surgery and I received wonderful care in the hospital.

Wrapping your mind around going to Mexico might take you some time - but there are many people who have gone to Mexico and had great experiences and results. It's not something I ever thought I would do but I couldn't afford out of pocket expenses here and I was set on having the surgery.

If you do have to go the Mexico route just do your research, talk to a few different surgeons, ask lots of questions, read reviews here, on Real Self and obesity help. Just don't give up - you are worth the struggle!

As you know, I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Illan. @@Bill Yanez is GREAT with getting you information, and if it's not enough--ask!! Tell him you're not getting all that you need. He will call you even if that's what you need. I know it's a scary process, and stressful. I went back and forth with my doubts, especially when it came to putting down the $500 deposit. But I did it with a cashiers check to their Wells Fargo account, kept copies of everything. Then put the rest of the money down 2 days before surgery. In the back of my head the whole time I was scared that it was some sort of scam, but it wasn't. I'm literal living proof. And there are many, many others who will attest to this process with Dr. Illan.

You can't let your fear hold you back. But you also need to be comfortable with whatever route you choose. You can Skype with Bill and Dr. Illan as well. I know they've done that before.

You're in the Facebook group, post your concerns, and we'll all be more than willing to share our experiences, and you WILL get answers!

Edited by MissKay

Please do not give up. I can imagine the frustration. The whole insurance situation there is so different there from here to begin with.We are mendatory to have healthinsurance. Each and every person has to have that. Having none is no option. I hope there will be solution for you. But do not put yourself and your health on the backburner because you need this. Since you are in this process for a reason. Maybe Mexico is a solution. At least take a good serious look into that. Keep us posted. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Do not give up please. You are worth the effect. That is for sure????

Sent from my GT-I9195 using the BariatricPal App

If this helps I just had my surgery 07/02/16 I came home safe and sound. I visited my family doctor and said the wounds are healing fine and I have already lost 14 pounds. I still have aches but the pain meds help.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I just want to say like others have "do not give up." This is your life and body. This is also a process and not a microwavable fix for most people. Use the time you have to get into the healthiest mindset you can. You can only do your part. Remember, unlike diets this is pernimante alteration to your body. However, it is just a tool. Winning at this is all about making healthy choices which can start now. Keep it moving one hour at a time.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I had my baby in February 2015 so I met my deductible and out-of-pocket which meant surgery would be 100% covered if I could do it by December 31st. I had my first appointment at the end of July last year and the woman who handled insurance claims said there was a slim chance I could get my surgery done in December and said it was likely I would have to wait until 2016. That was disappointing news because that meant I'd have to pay roughly $5K to have it done but it seemed worth it so I moved forward and kept my appointments for the 6 month period.

I had my final appointment in mid-December and the insurance lady told me she'd do her best to push it through for approval. Lo and behold, both she and my surgeon advocated for me and got it approved so I could schedule my surgery for December 28th! Kind of took the fun out of my holidays but it was completely worth it.

Tell your surgeon and whoever processes the insurance at the office about your situation and they may go the extra mile to advocate for you! Sorry you're dealing with so much stress but don't give up just yet. Things have a way of working themselves out.