Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@CrystalS86 I never even thought about the DS. All I knew was gastric bypass, the infamous lap ban, and the sleeve. The DS just looks too complicated for my liking. I was a little bit on the fence about the gastric bypass because I didn't like the idea of me being all cut up internally, but I've seen too many complications with the sleeve where patients had to have a revision to bypass. The sleeve was my first choice, but I choose the gastric bypass for the longevity and the amount of weight I need to lose. Not to say I wouldn't be successful with the sleeve, but I need to lose more weight than I am "assuming" the sleeve won't be able to provide for me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yehh I went through this process 4 years ago all the tests and all that took 2.5yrs due to very large waiting lists and priority patients like if you are like 400 lbs and diabetics get seen too. So I didn't get funding for a band. Then I asked to get referred again that was maybe like 5 months ago I went to see surgeon 31st may this year by 2nd week in June I had a surgery date. I have high blood pressure now so I was seen quickly. I was asked to loose 14lbs I have done 13lbs trying to shift some more now as much as I can. Ahhh I'm going to disney in paris on Saturday my husband and I went in October was AMAZINGGG! Hope you have the best time. How long did you wait? Where in USA do you live

Sent from my SM-G901F using the BariatricPal App

@@crissyboo Yeah, not many people were even aware of what the DS is. I know that with the bypass there is malabsorption and i have to be adamant about taking Vitamins, but with the DS it can be life and death if you dont take them, there's also the issue with the bathroom, and the smells. I'm not even 30 yet, I want to be able to travel and not have to worry about those kind of issues ya know? LOL. I had contemplated the sleeve as well, but my surgeon advised me that I would need something more drastic due to the amount of weight I was needing to lose.

@@Melanie89, I too went through this process just about 3 years ago. Paid $200 to see the nut just to only go one visit. Paid $40 to see the psychologist. Let's not forget the copays. After that I decided I didn't want to get the surgery and I was going to lose weight on my own. I was too concerned about what people around me thought about the surgery so chose not to go through with it. I felt like if I got the surgery I was taking the "easy way out" like people in my surroundings were saying. I'm not surprised about having to wait so long especially since it's free. I would hate to have to wait that long. I've only had to do a 3 month supervised nut visit. So I've only been waiting for 3 months you can say. I didn't even know Paris had s Disney world. can you tell I don't get out much? Lol I never left the east coast. Florida will be the furthest I've ever traveled and my first time on a plane. Thank you dear I hope we have fun too. This will be the first and last time traveling while heavy. I hope you guys enjoy yourselves as well. I live in Maryland.

@@CrystalS86 I am that way too with Vitamins. I have a very short memory when it comes to taking Vitamins. But I'm improving so that's always a plus I've old missed 2 days lol. So intrigued now about this issue with the bathroom and the smell. Lol do tell. that's how I felt about the sleeve too.

@@CrystalS86 I am that way too with Vitamins. I have a very short memory when it comes to taking Vitamins. But I'm improving so that's always a plus I've old missed 2 days lol. So intrigued now about this issue with the bathroom and the smell. Lol do tell. that's how I felt about the sleeve too.

Haha, well with the DS, they shorten your common channel, which means your food doesnt digest as properly as it should, which means that it basically sits there in your stomach acid for up to 24 hours then comes out...which in turns leads to very smelly bathroom visits. My doctor did not shy awya from the details, he said its AWFUL but it is also the most effective form of surgery as far losing excess body weight, with the sleeve he said its about 60-70%, bypass is 70-80%, and the DS is 80-90% of excess body weight. But again, i think it all comes down to what you decide to do with the tool. I've known people who were over 400 lbs and had the sleeve and are not at a very healthy weight, so its definitely possible.

@@CrystalS86, I saw a video on how the procedure was done and I was like, "yeah that's too much moving and cutting and retracing I will pass". Lol I think if I lose 80-90% of my excess weight I might be too small. I think between 70-80% is a good amount of weight loss.

I'm scheduled for October 3...is that close enough to hang with the September crew?! I'm super nervous and I can totally relate to the anxious eating. I was taking really good care of myself through the process of being cleared but somehow as soon as I got a surgery date and insurance clearance I started back on sugar and junk food. I feel pretty bad-physically and emotionally-as a result. I've read lots of stuff that says I'll have better outcomes and fewer complications if I eat healthfully and exercise leading up to the surgery, but I'm having such a hard time with that right now. Ugh! I haven't posted much here but I'm glad for the support.

Of course the more the merrier! I think everyone has that issue once they hey their date. At least that seems to be my issue.

I'm scheduled for October 3...is that close enough to hang with the September crew?! I'm super nervous and I can totally relate to the anxious eating. I was taking really good care of myself through the process of being cleared but somehow as soon as I got a surgery date and insurance clearance I started back on sugar and junk food. I feel pretty bad-physically and emotionally-as a result. I've read lots of stuff that says I'll have better outcomes and fewer complications if I eat healthfully and exercise leading up to the surgery, but I'm having such a hard time with that right now. Ugh! I haven't posted much here but I'm glad for the support.

Im in the same boat Rachel. Im finding it so difficult to get on the right track right now and i feel worse because of it. Although premier Protein is on sale at costco right now, so Im going to go stock up now and start my liquid diet a little earlier than I was supposed to and hopefully thatll kick my butt into gear

Hi everyone! I'm Christine. I've just found this forum, having just received my surgery date of September 20. It still doesn't seem real. I have only told 3 people about my upcoming surgery. Looking forward to my first pre-op appointment on 8/16 and getting to know all of you.

Melanie 89 Im in Atlanta Ga, USA, My insurance is covering my bcs I have High blood pressure also and sleep Apnea. But Like you Im so nervous and not sure whats going on my weight has gone up now that Im getting close to surgery and its not like im eating more I went to the doctor today and I was told that it was due to anxiety that triggers the gain weight... so Im keeping my fingers crossed

I gained all of the weight back that I lost during the months before. One can also have a situation that is called last supper syndrome. You eat all of those foods you feel you won't be able to eat afterwards. The initial weight gain before the surgery has not stopped my weight loss afterwards. I am down 74lbs in 5 months. Everything will work out in the end. Good luck and keep us updated!

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

I am scheduled for surgery September 12!!!!! Right now I'm more excited than nervous!!! I'm sure the closer it gets it will be more nerve wracking!! I live in Ohio, US.

The weeks leading up to my surgery I was extremely excited, the day of the surgery I was a nervous mess and had to ask for something to relax me. By the way, what part of Ohio. I'm on Akron.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

This week has been a very long week , started off on happy note, weighed myself, I've lost 35lbs even be fore surgery. Been tired all week, felt like I haven't slept. Friday was the longest day, came home form work to a letter from my insurance co..... It said APPROVED. no I'm nervous excited, scared, rethinking all of this, do I really want to do this, but of course I want to do this, I need to be healthy! I am scheduled for September 26.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Congratulations! Getting that letter in the mail must be the best feeling in the world. This week has been a really long week. I wish I could rest up this weekend, but unfortunately I work. Luckily this is my last week of work and then I'm on vacation.

This week has been a very long week , started off on happy note, weighed myself, I've lost 35lbs even be fore surgery. Been tired all week, felt like I haven't slept. Friday was the longest day, came home form work to a letter from my insurance co..... It said APPROVED. no I'm nervous excited, scared, rethinking all of this, do I really want to do this, but of course I want to do this, I need to be healthy! I am scheduled for September 26.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App