Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long do you plan to take off work after surgery?

I had surgery on Wed and was back at work Monday. But I work in an office

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Same here. I'm a desk jockey. I'm prepared to be a little tired by the end of the day but I figure it's only 3 days til the weekend. I just started the new job so I feel like I'm pushing my luck asking for 4 days but I'm doing it. Just not willing to wait any longer for the surgery.

Edited by donnay

I'm taking 2 weeks, with phone calls the 2nd week, but I have a sedentary job.

Sent from my SM-T800 using the BariatricPal App

I'm taking 8 days off. My surgery is on a Wednesday and I'm taking the following week off as well. I have a desk job, so I don't need to worry about weight restrictions or anything. This will also completely wipe out my PTO bank, so hoping all goes according to plan.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I am hoping to only be off 12 days. I guess it is up to my surgeon for sure.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

If I had no time to work with, based on my current post op progress with surgery being fri 7/1 the soonest i would feel ready to go back to work would be mon 7/11. I would want a full week, plus the weekend hence a Monday rtw date. I have a desk job. However my health is the most important thing so if taking some time to just take care of me is what I need I'm going to give that to myself. Some people not by choice do not have that option.

I did not have to take any personal time. This is all short term disability and it is paid @ 80% until I return. Everyone doesn't have quite the same options. When i was a nurse in the hospital, they made you use 5 of your pto days before your short term disability kicked in which would've have been a bummer but i wouldve done it.

I'm thankful for my time off and i will use it heal and get into the swing of life with the sleeve.

I was asking my team about this today as I'm now done but for the waiting for approval. Everything will go to insurance once the psych report comes in on Friday (doc was on vacation). I have a desk job. I only work in the office two days a week -- I work from home the other days. My surgery will likely be on a Tuesday. I'm planning on being back in the office the following Monday. I was back at work part time (10-3) 4 weeks after a c-section, so I figure this will be a walk in the park. I don't do any lifting nor do I travel. I would think that with adequate planning you could handle the liquid diet while traveling but the lifting might be an issue.

I was lucky enough to be able to take 4 weeks off but could have easily gone back to my office job this week (2 weeks post-op).

I usually plan for the worst case scenero, so I made sure I had a month to recover. But to tell you the truth, I had the surgery on a Tuesday, and was doing work on my laptop on Wednesday. I was back from Mexico the three days later. The next day (Saturday) I went to an OU football game. But I don't have any heavy lifting on my job.

I'm taking 2 weeks, with phone calls the 2nd week, but I have a sedentary job.

Sent from my SM-T800 using the BariatricPal App

I'm taking a week of medical leave/PTO, then a week of WFH. I'm planning on only putting in partial days during the work from home week; generally when I WFH I put in a longer day than I do at the office but I want to give myself plenty of time to recover. I'm thinking I'll check emails and complete some light tasks in the morning, attend a few conference calls in the afternoon, and respond to urgencies as necessary, but not plan to sit at my desk from 8-6 like I usually do. As a project manager in a fast paced marketing team with super tight deadlines, I rarely have a minute to breathe. I'm going to take advantage of my healing time because I never get a break!!

So...originally I planned to take 2 weeks off but found out that my short term dis pays at 100% for up to 3 months. Armed with that info, I opted to take 6 weeks off. 6 GLORIOUS WEEKS off. Okay, maybe not glorious. I just want to make sure I'm rested and ready to hit the ground running when I return to work.

Slacker? Perhaps. I haven't had this much time off since I was unemployed in 2008 and I'm not going to lie...I'm kind of excited :D

So...originally I planned to take 2 weeks off but found out that my short term dis pays at 100% for up to 3 months. Armed with that info, I opted to take 6 weeks off. 6 GLORIOUS WEEKS off. Okay, maybe not glorious. I just want to make sure I'm rested and ready to hit the ground running when I return to work.

Slacker? Perhaps. I haven't had this much time off since I was unemployed in 2008 and I'm not going to lie...I'm kind of excited :D

Reading this makes me regret taking only a week off. My surgeon told me I'd only need a few days to heal, since I have a desk job. It didn't even occur to me to take off more time. I wish I had!

So I will be covered at %100 with short term disability. My doctor says 2 weeks but what if I want to take longer, to wait until I am on solid food? Do I have a say in the matter as far as how long I am off??