Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Workout routine update - vanity or helpful?

I was talking to my wife about my workout routine and she was complaining about not knowing how to do certain things properly. But our schedules differ most of the time so she jokingly said that I should take pictures. I thought it funny at first and especially vain, but the more that I thought about it the more it started sounding like a good idea.

I admit that it will feel very arrogant and shallow to take pictures of me working out, but it might possibly be helpful. What say you guys? Do you think it is vain and egotistical or do you think it is a good idea?

I admit that it will feel very arrogant and shallow to take pictures of me working out, but it might possibly be helpful. What say you guys? Do you think it is vain and egotistical or do you think it is a good idea?

I don't see a "Guys Only" here, so here I am.

Why can't it be both? Vanity and shallowness in service of health and safety. You've worked for it and you've learned. I'm all for it. Proper form when working out is important. Lots of folks need the demonstration.

Do it with annotations.

Do it with annotations.

That's what I was thinking, something very much like my last workout post, but instead of images from the internet I would take pictures of the exact exercise I am talking about.

Do it. Proper form is as good as the workout effort itself. Hopefully she sees it as supportive.

You may get some funny looks from folks in the gym.....

Just do it at non-peak times when folks aren't waiting for the gym equipment and all is well.

Bodybuilding.com also has some great form pics & videos and detail of each specific exercise.

yes please do so. proper form makes all the difference in the work out - helps avoid injury and makes it effective to the place on the body you are trying to work.

years ago I did go to the gym and lift weights and thankfully my husband was able to come with me and help me learn the proper way. While I mostly prefer other work outs now - it was invaluable at the time.

if you are not able to go with her, then please take pictures and why not share them with us as well?!?!? All the posts about it make me kinda wanna get back in the gym so I take it as greatly encouraging.

I have another friend, who lives in my town, and he used to post his running on Facebook. he felt a little silly about it, but you know what? it got me off the couch and walking. I told him so and then others piped in to agree. you never know what is going to make a difference for someone else.

I think it is a great idea, but go one step further and video record the actual workout; preparation for the workout, what equipment is needed for the workout, everything. That way it can be watched and followed. It also may help to feel like whoever is using the video is working out with someone there!

You may get some funny looks from folks in the gym...

See, that is the one thing that will bother me the most. I definitely don't want to be seen as the poser that hangs in the gym for vanity's sake. However, I believe most of the people in my gym would see it for what it is intended. But that thought would be in the back of my head for sure.

if you are not able to go with her, then please take pictures and why not share them with us as well?

That was my thought as well. Post them on here for anyone interested. Besides, I'm sure my legions of fans and fawning groupies would love it! :lol:

if you are not able to go with her, then please take pictures and why not share them with us as well?

That was my thought as well. Post them on here for anyone interested. Besides, I'm sure my legions of fans and fawning groupies would love it! :lol:

Hey, I'm about to embark back to strength training again after many years of not doing it, so any help would be appreciated!!!

@@BigViffer - You might go as a couple early Sunday morning and have her video you on her phone. You can double check your form and she has a complete record. [it isn't vain if it works]

You may get some funny looks from folks in the gym...

See, that is the one thing that will bother me the most. I definitely don't want to be seen as the poser that hangs in the gym for vanity's sake. However, I believe most of the people in my gym would see it for what it is intended. But that thought would be in the back of my head for sure.

I doubt very seriously anyone is gonna think you are a poser. You've got the muscle credentials to prove them wrong.

I was merely thinking of the impatient denizens who are working through the sets and ready to jump on the gear.

My local gym has grown to a membership level that, in my opinion, far exceeds it's capacity. It takes forever to get a session in sometimes. I guess I tend to have a low tolerance for things that impede my old man routine as I'm going through my session.

It's funny.....took me years to get my butt back into the gym....and now I rush when I'm there. :huh:

It's funny.....took me years to get my butt back into the gym....and now I rush when I'm there. :huh:

no rushing, @@Dub :) too easy to hurt yourself that way!

Oh, my gym is usually pretty empty. I have free reign most of the time. During the day, it's the seniors there and they stick to the isolation machines for the most part and I won't touch those.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

no rushing, @@Dub :) too easy to hurt yourself that way!

True dat !!!

I tend to break down on form....the very thing BigViffer is trying to demonstrate for his bride.....when I rush.

Oh, my gym is usually pretty empty. I have free reign most of the time. During the day, it's the seniors there and they stick to the isolation machines for the most part and I won't touch those.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

That sounds like an ideal gym.

I'm wishing that was the case with mine.