Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marvelous, glorious Water!

I made a topic including this question, but I made the mistake of also including a question about medications so most of the answers focus on that and I didn't get far too many insightful responses on fluids, but how much do you find you're able to drink throughout the day?

I've seen some people (in a thread made in 2011) say they can easily get 80-100oz through the day after about a month post op.

My situation is I'm a kidney transplant and we're really encouraged to drink like a fish. My doctor recommends 136oz a day. Now to be fair, I don't get that even now because I just don't think about it, but I feel like coupled with the risk of malnutrition and what not, I should really focus on getting it all in properly post-op.

I'm shooting for 100oz, which is a happy medium between bariatric suggestions (64oz) and my nephro's suggestions.

How many of you find that to be a realistic goal? I know I'll have to sip throughout the day, but is 100oz something you could get if you consciously drink some Water every 15 minutes or so or whatever they recommend?

Thanks so much!

I'm just over two weeks out and can easily get over 80oz in.

I find that I take a mouthful of Water and hold some back in my mouth a few seconds before swallowing more

Edited by gary5862

I'm just over two weeks out and can easily get 80oz in.

That's what the person said in the thread back in 2011! Two weeks out and they were feeling confident in getting more Water than is recommended.

Thanks! Did you have to work up to it or was there a day you just felt better and was able to get more fluids than you could before?

Took me 3-4 days post op to drink confidently.

You can definitely make it to 100 a day! I like to drink a 16.9ounce bottle of Water every three hours...assuming I start at 8am, and have my final one right before bed at 11pm, that's 101 ounces of Water :)

also, I didn't have any problems drinking starting day 3 post op....I was almost concerned at how fast I could drink.

Edited by provenzee

You can definitely make it to 100 a day! I like to drink a 16.9ounce bottle of Water every three hours...assuming I start at 8am, and have my final one right before bed at 11pm, that's 101 ounces of Water :)

also, I didn't have any problems drinking starting day 3 post op....I was almost concerned at how fast I could drink.

Is the 16.9oz bottle of water every three hours just a personal goal of yours or is that all you can tolerate? Thanks!

That's just my goal...I know I shouldn't but usually I down my first bottle within 10 minutes

I was worried that I was able to drink too quickly also. 24 oz in 30 minutes is the most I've done.

@provenzee @gary5862 Ah, thank goodness. I wouldn't necessarily want to "gulp" Water again because it's still a bad habit of mine that I hope I can kick before surgery on the 21st, but it's comforting to know that I don't have to meticulously measure my Water throughout the day and *should* be able to leisurely drink my way to my goal. Obviously I went into this process highly concerned for my transplant which comes first and foremost and is leaps and bounds a priority to me (which is also why I'm DOING weight loss surgery to alleviate the stress on it).

I've got my favorite water bottle and I think it's 28 ounces (probably 32 to the top) so maybe I can try and drink at least 3-4 of those per day at a decent pace and that would actually get me to my transplant goal (or just under) at 128oz.

Morning Kaze (well morning here anyway)

Water is no issue for me... i drink lots... i drank about that yesterday.

A key for me that seems to help me get all my watrt in... is i have brought 3 bottles.... 2 bottles are mandatory and i can not go to bed till i finish them both.. and the third is a bonus and i give myself brownie points if i finish it.

I like that i have my Water measured out for the day and if i am going out i just take it with me...

Another way is to flavor your water... i personally use lemon and mint that makes it a little less bland and softens the water.

There are so many water infusion recipes out there... and they are yummy too.. takes the bore out of water

Morning Kaze (well morning here anyway)

Water is no issue for me... i drink lots... i drank about that yesterday.

A key for me that seems to help me get all my watrt in... is i have brought 3 bottles.... 2 bottles are mandatory and i can not go to bed till i finish them both.. and the third is a bonus and i give myself brownie points if i finish it.

I like that i have my Water measured out for the day and if i am going out i just take it with me...

Another way is to flavor your water... i personally use lemon and mint that makes it a little less bland and softens the water.

There are so many water infusion recipes out there... and they are yummy too.. takes the bore out of water

Oh I don't have a problem with the taste of water or anything like that, in fact, it's the opposite, I love the death out of water. I just am also kind of scatterbrained and unless I can have reinforcement, I can lose track. I'm just hoping after surgery water can come about as naturally to me as it does now except that I need to not gulp and I need to space out my bottles at least half an hour.

I never had the not gulping advice from my surgeon... except in the first couple of weeks.

I gulp all the time now. . But early out it wasn't easy and could be painful... i think listening to your body is the best bet... if something hurts... stop..

Drinking is a good thing anyway, it flushes out crap from your body and keeps you hydrated. .. its especially good for your skin... having lots of Water helps a little with loose skin too... the more hydrated you are, the more your skin will retract.

@ Oh, so you can drink Water fairly normally after a few weeks/months? That's super comforting because I'm a "catch up" drinker and although I want to work on spacing out my hydration (it's better overall) I still know sometimes I just need a couple chugs of Water at once. Plus from what I understand, water can significantly help with weight loss.

I think my biggest problem is going to be the no drinking with meals.

I was scared after the surgery that I wouldn't be able to drink enough Water as I loved it so much before. A few weeks in, it seemed as if I was back to before surgery and have never had a problem since.

I can gulp down a pint and not have an issue. I don't do it often, I tend to take a few mouthfuls, have a break then carry on. Im so grateful that its so easy!! It just takes time ;)

I was scared after the surgery that I wouldn't be able to drink enough Water as I loved it so much before. A few weeks in, it seemed as if I was back to before surgery and have never had a problem since.

I can gulp down a pint and not have an issue. I don't do it often, I tend to take a few mouthfuls, have a break then carry on. Im so grateful that its so easy!! It just takes time ;)

Oh my, thank you so much. All of these comments are super reassuring and they make me more confident in my decision. If anything, I can maybe use the surgery to encourage myself to drink MORE Water than I do now, which as I said, I seldom actually get my Fluid goals every day because I'm so scattered with water.