Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op and having a hard time drinking soo much????

Hi everyone!!

This is my 4th day post op and I'm gearing up my day by organizing all my drinks-powders-pills...etc it is very challenging getting it all in. I have to do 64 liquid total. 60-protein 30-carbs this morning I started with 1 oz of Premier Protein. I then added I scoop of Vitamin mix to a small bottle of G2 which has gone from purple to army green. Right now I'm sipping on 1 oz of hot tea that melted one of my pills in. Any suggestions of what you all do to make this 4 weeks great????

Hey.. congratulations on your surgery.

The first couple of weeks it is difficult to get all your fluids in, just keep sipping.

If you are finding your Water difficult to tolerate, try adding something to soften it... eg.. mint, lemon, SF Water flavouring.

Try different temperatures.

One trick that worked for me was to drink, hold the water/shake in my mouth, and slowly swallow... that was the best technique to getting more in without causing pain

Don't be too hard on yourself, everything is still swollen, it will get easier each day.. promise.

For the first week I found it helpful to focus on one thing at a time......in other words prioritize. fluids first! Figure out how to get that all in first....I'm a month out now .....but it was the 6th day post op before I was able to get hardly any Protein in. During that time I was in close contact with my nurse coordinator and she had me keep an eye on the color of my urine rather than counting ounces of Fluid.....she had me make sure I didn't let my urine turn a dark color.....I was having difficulty because everything tasted terrible to me....But on day 6 it was like a miracle I woke up and everything tasted normal again and I was able to get my fluids and Protein in starting on that day......My point is a few days of not being able to get all your protein in won't kill you.......but not getting your fluids could be very very serious.....so focus on the important thing first. Good luck to you!!!

You are not going to get everything in right away. Most people can't. Just get in what you can without pushing yourself. As you heal and your swelling goes down it will get easier

You are not going to get everything in right away. Most people can't. Just get in what you can without pushing yourself. As you heal and your swelling goes down it will get easier

I get my surgery on Tuesday the 21st. Will keep an eye out on how everyone is doing. I am worried about getting it all in as well. I saw where you should sip every 3 minutes and keep track of your cups. Hope that helps someone. Hope it helps me too! ;)

Edited by Maggie143

I get my surgery on Tuesday the 21st. Will keep an eye out on how everyone is doing. I am worried about getting it all in as well. I saw where you should sip every 3 minutes and keep track of your cups. Hope that helps someone. Hope it helps me too! ;)

You will do great! Good Luck. Stay positive......that helped me.

You will do great! Good Luck. Stay positive......that helped me.

I was sleeved June 9th, too! I have been able to get my Protein and fluids in since day 5, but I have shooting pain sometimes. It's feels like I need to burp, but can't. I'm able to take pills per my doc so thankfully I don't have to smash up any pills. How much walking are y'all doing? I try to walk around the mall or Wal-Mart but get very clammy and have to stop after about 30 min. I assume it's due to the very limited calories. Drinking is the hardest part...ugh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

Bright eyes - One of the suggestions I was given was to sleep sitting up for a while or in a recliner to ease the gas pains that will lay in your shoulders and upper chest. Someone else told me to use gas-x strips. I bought some children's liquid gas drops for after my upcoming surgery. I hope it helps.