Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving up smoking..........

Hi Everyone.

Please can you tell me what your sugeon said about giving up smoking before your surgery?

Did anyone continue to smoke when they were told not to?

what was your experience of this?

thanks

toots:confused:

Toots you really should try to quit.

I hate to sound like the ex smoker informercial dork here.

But I must!

I quit with chantix.

I am still currently taking the medication.

The first 4 days after taking the med I stopped.

I was never a heavy smoker.

I smoked a pack every two to three days.

I didn't think I would be able to do it.

My daughter was my number one reason.

I also have asthma,sever allergies and excema.

For years I knew I needed to quit but smoking was always my crutch since about 12 years.

But then I thought to myself.

What were you doing to handle your stress before the cigarettes?

I know! cussing people out!(joke)

It's hard I know but the benefit outweighs the pleasure.

I want to live a long time for me and my daughter.

I can breathe better.

I'm not conjested in the morning like before.

I dont stink and neither does my house.

My breath is better.

I am stronger than a cigarette!

And so are you!

Ask your primary for a prescription if you can't do it alone.

It'S ok to ask for help.

Good luck honey!

Hi Toots and Lawanda,

I am trying to quit as well. I'm a moderately heavy smoker (pack a day)and I KNOW I must quit before surgery. I am on Chantix too. My quit date was Tuesday and I just couldn't quit. It's Saturday and I'm still smoking. I must admit, after 11 days of taking the medication, I'm finally starting to feel a little different. I don't want it as much and when I do smoke, it doesn't taste as good. So, I guess I'm almost ready - I HOPE! When I had my gallbladder taken out in 2004, my surgeon said he had a hard time getting me off the respirator - he had to almost wake me up before he took the tube out of my throat! So, that was a scare and I know, for me, I will not go under anesthesia as an active smoker again. Wish me luck!

Maria

I heard a lot of people stop smoking using Chantex, it is good stuff and well worth it! I had my hubby get some, but he stopped taking it...I don't think he is "ready" to quit. Good job Lawanda! You must feel great!

Hi,

My doctor was absolutely strict on the patient not having ANY nicotine in their system.

I never smoked and told him so, but the very first test on admission on the day of my operation was a test for the presence of nicotine.

When I asked "Why?" the tech didn't miss a beat:

"If you have a positive for nicotine, Dr. Neal will not operate on you" was their reply.

Hi all Just wanted to put my two cents in here. I have been an ex smoker since 2001. I made a promise to my son by the time he started middle school I would give it a whole hearted effort. I tried zyban. Was on that for two days, and had heart pelpatations and I ended up having a panic attack. I thought nope not for me. So I replaced my smokes with hard candy (little sweet tart hearts coated in a candy like shell). They were sugery but not high in fat. I bought them by the bulk and for the first two week went through bags. I carried them everywhere I went. After the first two weeks it became easier. The cravings were still there, but It just became easier after two weeks. I guess that is how long your body needs to get through the withdrawls, I don't know. I ended up not needing the candy as much. About two months I was off for the candy. Maybe little longer, but I didn't have to have it in my mouth constantly. Oh also I changed my habits that drew me to have that smoke. Like after dinner, instead of lighting up, I got up right away and started cleaning dinner up. I just changed my routine. Now some people thought I was being silly for eatting all that candy. They said you are going to gain so much weight. I didn't gain any (from quit smoking anyways:)) I guess because I kept busy. But I figure I am already fat the smokes are going to kill me, the fat I will worry about later. Good Luck

Thanks all of you for your replies, i have to give up 2 weeks before surgery, so wanted to know what your surgeons said about it, as i read somewhere on here that, some surgeons, hadn't mentioned it,;)

I haven't had mine done yet but mine said NO smoking. You can do this. It is very scary to think about not smoking, but you are taking this step (the band) to improve your health. Smoking does so many bad things to you...take this step also to improve your health. You will be surprised how much better you feel. It kind of scares me to think of some of the things I will miss or the things I won't be able to have as often or as much when I get banded. But I know it will be sooo worth it. Please quit for you and your heart!! You can come here for all the support you need!

Hi Toots.. I quit smoking 2 years ago by using Zyban.. I was a smoker for 45 years and smoked anywhere from a pack to 2 packs a day..

After I had quit smoking for 8 months I found out that I have emphysema.. So, for your sake, please quit smoking...... You can do it and we are all here to support you when you need it...

thanks you all for your support, it's just giving up food and the ciggies at the same time. is gonna be real hard! it seems a daunting task, but i have to do both for my health......and i'm determinded to do it!

Heyhon63;

what date are you to be banded?

Good Luck to you all. xx

thanks you all for your support, it's just giving up food and the ciggies at the same time. is gonna be real hard! it seems a daunting task, but i have to do both for my health......and i'm determinded to do it!

Heyhon63;

what date are you to be banded?

Good Luck to you all. xx

Yaaa Toots I am so proud of you! I know it is scary but you can do this!! I have not set a date yet. I am still working on my 6 mths diet. I can't wait!! I am scared too. But just think how great we will feel, and we will be in much better shape and to full of energy to think about food or smokes!;)

Hi,

My doctor was absolutely strict on the patient not having ANY nicotine in their system.

I never smoked and told him so, but the very first test on admission on the day of my operation was a test for the presence of nicotine.

When I asked "Why?" the tech didn't miss a beat:

"If you have a positive for nicotine, Dr. Neal will not operate on you" was their reply.

Wow that is quite interesting. they told me to stop smoking before surgery and I have never been much of a smoker. in fact, my cigarettes get stale all the time before i get to them. there must be a greater reason for not wanting nicotene in the system. I never got the answer either