Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Rollercoaster( can you become bipolar) after surgery.

You made me cry, its been really hard I've lost a lot of friends having this surgery they feel I took the easy way out. I gained weight after I got sober off drugs 8 years ago. And It doubled after being raped 4 years ago in a hospital. So seeing Dr has never been easy. I went to Tijuana for my surgery. So having lost my support system and not being able to hide behind food I'm lost. I was telling someone the other day my life used to revolve around food, and it doesn't anymore. And i dont know what to do, i want drugs but i know thats a dead end road. I cant talk to my friends they don't understand what and why I did this and they all drink and I can't so we don't relate now. I wanna hide in my bed and never come out. I can't seek help because I work with the people you go to when your feeling like I am. I don't even want anything to do with my dogs who are my kids, my heart my life.... But I smile and put on the face that everything is OK and it's never been worse. Thank you for your posts you all have been there and I see that. But with no family, husband, face to face with someone who understand and gets this are not opinions for me. I am so glad I have this outlet because I'm a point of make it or break it. And your response hit hard in a good way thanks

What you are dealing with sounds so much deeper than some simple erratic hormones.

Yes, you no longer have food and drugs to cope with life. You have got to address the underlying issues if you want to be healthy: mentally and physically. It isn't about the food.

It may be uncomfortable, but it sounds like you definitely NEED to talk to a professional. Even healers need help. The most hurtful thing you can do is to not take advantage of the many resources available to you: make an appointment with your surgeon, your NUT, a therapist, and your PCP TOMORROW. Attend some bariatric support group meetings, some OA meetings, and even some NA or AA meetings (especially if you are at risk of using through this). Call a minister or pastor. You do not need to do this alone, we can listen, but we are not equipped the way a professional is to give you some effective help.

You deserve to be happy, joyous, and free. It is possible, but it is going to take some work and discomfort.

Asking for help is the biggest step and you are doing that.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

I just reread your post and see that you went to Mexico for surgery.

I suggest that you talk to your PCP about helping you find a referral to a therapist. See if there are any local Bariatric Centers of excellence. They will have support groups. They may also be able to help you find a therapist and/or a NUT.

You may not have a built-in support network like you might have if you had had surgery in the US, but that doesn't mean you can't build one.

Jess

I get it. I have been sad and hate everybody (i'm 7 weeks post op). However, I lost the one thing that I could depend on to always make me feel good (even if it was for just a few minutes). food. Glorious food.

I do see a psych on a regular basis and have an appt to possibly adjust the meds and a therapist to discuss why I hate everyone. And the journey continues.....

Thank you all very much for everything yesterday was probably the worst day I've had since my surgery today I made myself get up I got dressed and I went and saw my neighbor who had been caring he's 90 and fell and broke his hip. No family no one can like me and we've become really good friends and I just see him everyday but I went and spent the day with him today and I cried and hugged me and I talked to a lot of stuff out and I feel a lot better I found a support group in Portland and I'm going to talk to one of the counselors at my work and see if she can make a referral I don't understand how some days are better than others yesterday was so bad so bad but I spent the day with me and my dogs and I'm better today so thank you all so much and next time I have a bad day it's good to know you're all there

I am sorry you are going through this, I have been there myself and it was scaring me! I would cry in a second and was also so moody.

How do you feel physically? I noticed once I started feeling better physically emotionally I started improving as well, but mentally it was hard to deal with all of the changes, asking myself why I did this to myself, not being able to meet my Protein and Water goals made me worried and so on. I was about to schedule appointment to psych but had complications and had to deal with that, but I seem to be getting better now, hang in there, go see a psych and address this, they may give you so medication that might help to get you through this.

Thank you all very much for everything yesterday was probably the worst day I've had since my surgery today I made myself get up I got dressed and I went and saw my neighbor who had been caring he's 90 and fell and broke his hip. No family no one can like me and we've become really good friends and I just see him everyday but I went and spent the day with him today and I cried and hugged me and I talked to a lot of stuff out and I feel a lot better I found a support group in Portland and I'm going to talk to one of the counselors at my work and see if she can make a referral I don't understand how some days are better than others yesterday was so bad so bad but I spent the day with me and my dogs and I'm better today so thank you all so much and next time I have a bad day it's good to know you're all there

You got the best medicine: the chance to do something for someone else and hugs.

I am so glad you are reaching out for help. It will get so much better!

First of all, I'm glad you found some light at the end of the tunnel and reached out for help! That right there is something you should pat yourself on the back for!

& thank you for this post! I am still in pre-op stage, and I had no idea about this emotional change.

Also, I am also in the human services field and a huge part of the field is SELF CARE. So surgery or no surgery, its a good idea for people in this field to release life and it could be a good way of dealing with and working out feelings and emotions a health way.

Now, I also see that SELF CARE is important for post-op WLS! Social workers, therapists, psychologists, support groups, nutritionist, whoever can give you educated and private advice will probably help!

Don't be nervous about seeing co workers or ashamed because you should be on the other side of the table! Any professional will NOT belittle you for seeking help and there are STRICT ethical and moral guidelines for confidentiality in those professions!

I hope you feel better and keep posting!

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Jess, I am so happy you got out that I have happy feet right now!!!! You had me really worried!

You've got a lot to give....

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Antidepressants for u. My doctor prescribed celexa while i was going thru menopause. I took one everyday. Now i take 1 every 3-4 days. Try it, ask i Dr for a script

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

@@Jess3/25/16 - Good luck with this journey. If you have had addiction issues in the past, they don't go away because of the surgery. Congrats on getting off drugs. Sobriety was the first gift you gave yourself, WLS the second. It sounds as though you need some very personal guidance in this journey. The hormone dump threw me off my game for a while. It got better, but recently had a 'post-hormone dump' emotional issue which required treatment. It was not WLS related. So just because you had WLS, doesn't mean other issues can't pop up, they do.

I am sorry you are going through this. i didn't have the same experience, but I felt sort of... out of touch, surreal. Everything tasted weird, everything seemed "off".

By the time i was 12 weels out I felt I was returning to feeling human again.

I hope this passes quickly for you; hang in there and keep seeking support.

Jess it's gonna get better. Understand that when you go to Mexico for surgery you are pretty much on your own post op. No support, no guidelines - nothing. It's a hard road to go down.

I thought WLS would 'cure the problem'. Haha! The joke was on me. Obesity was a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself.

Many people turn to drugs or alcohol post op because of this very thing. In doing so you simply trade one form of self destruction for another and if you had issues with drugs before I can only imagine how hard it is to just say no.

But you have to, you will, and you will get through this. That's why we call it Going Through Hell - because you don't stay there. You come out on the other side. Otherwise we'd call it Gone To Hell and Not Coming Back.

You have a good life ahead of you and this period of time is what's required to get there. You can't skip this part. You can do this girl.....

Your such a nice person the every one should be. to nice people.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using the BariatricPal App

Keep smiling like in your profile pict, this should past. .