Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When Does the First One Happen {I'm Scared}

So... to preface this a bit.. my experience with weight loss has always been negative (that's why I'm here.. that's why I had surgery) no matter how hard I exercised or how little I ate, my results at losing would be meager.. a few pounds over a whole summer and fall for instance.. constant disappointments have left me believing that I can't do it and that this is absolutely my last chance to ever be healthy and fit. And right now it's going swimmingly... I'm 5 days post opp.. doing okay on full liquids and have gone from 265 to 251.5 since May 18th which makes me... unspeakably happy...

But I have a deep fear...

The first stall.. I'm scared of how fast it'll come.. I want to keep enjoying the weight loss like this.. I want to lose.. I don't know more.. lol before that first stall comes. I think because even though rational me knows it's not true - when it first happens... emotional me will be scared that this is the end of my weight loss and the end of my surgery success because I've never been successful before.. I know that's not true.. but every day during that stall when the numbers don't go down I think I'll still be terrified...

Advice?

And also.. when did your first stall happen? How soon can I expect it? If I'm prepared maybe I'll handle it better.

Don't panic when you hear this - I was sleeved on 5-25 and am on day 4 of my "stall." There is no rhyme nor reason for this other than body is adjusting. I was 259 before surgery and am 237 now. 4 day stall I am not worry. The body will readjust and will start losing again. I'm on full liquids and NOT ingesting anything that I shouldn't I'm getting my Protein and Water but my body is just catching up.

I'm sure I hit stalls early on in the process, but the one that most made me mad lasted almost 2 months and I was stuck between 170-167. I just could not lose weight. I added an extra hour of cardio, and I really focused on what I was eating and I slowly started to drop again. That was at around 10 months post-op. I also got stuck a little around 200 pounds which I think was about 4-5 months post-op. There are going to be little stalls where you get stuck for a few days or a week, but the big, pia, stalls are usually once you've lost some weight and you've gotten comfortable in your routine and your body decides it doesn't want to lose anymore. That seems to be the point a lot of people quit because it is SO frustrating, however scientifically if you're burning calories and watching your intake at an appropriate level, you will eventually start to lose again.

My friend that had her surgery almost exactly a year ahead of me warned me about the week 3 stall. She says to just keep going and do what you're supposed to do and it'll start coming off again.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, around week 2 or 3 is the dreaded first stall. First of many. Don't be discouraged, just recognize that it is part of the process and keep doing what you are supposed to be doing and you will get through it! Best of luck.

My first one was at three weeks. Stalls are like lovers. Your first will probably not be your last.

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass. The weight dropped off so quickly there really wasn't much time for a stall. Sleeve patients lose weight at a slower pace but can sustain the weight loss for a longer time, eventually reaching almost the same weight loss. So I recommend the following:

1. Put your scale away in the closet. If you worry constantly about your weight loss, it can trigger anxiety. Stress can interfere with your weight loss.

2. The most important requirements after surgery is meeting your Protein, Fluid and Vitamin daily requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting stored fats into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight. Exercise is also important. Get at least 30 minutes of walking in each day (or equivalent). Follow the program guidelines and just let the magic happen.

3. In the beginning, you will need to supplement your Protein with Protein shakes. But as your meal volume increases, if you concentrate on consuming high protein meals, you can begin to offload your protein supplements. These supplements contain calories, so reduce your use of them as you progress. This approach helped me break a stall at 2 months post-op. I went from 3 Protein Shakes per day, down to 2, down to one and finally at a year and a half, down to zero.

So... to preface this a bit.. my experience with weight loss has always been negative (that's why I'm here.. that's why I had surgery) no matter how hard I exercised or how little I ate, my results at losing would be meager.. a few pounds over a whole summer and fall for instance.. constant disappointments have left me believing that I can't do it and that this is absolutely my last chance to ever be healthy and fit. And right now it's going swimmingly... I'm 5 days post opp.. doing okay on full liquids and have gone from 265 to 251.5 since May 18th which makes me... unspeakably happy...

But I have a deep fear...

The first stall.. I'm scared of how fast it'll come.. I want to keep enjoying the weight loss like this.. I want to lose.. I don't know more.. lol before that first stall comes. I think because even though rational me knows it's not true - when it first happens... emotional me will be scared that this is the end of my weight loss and the end of my surgery success because I've never been successful before.. I know that's not true.. but every day during that stall when the numbers don't go down I think I'll still be terrified...

Advice?

And also.. when did your first stall happen? How soon can I expect it? If I'm prepared maybe I'll handle it better.

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. If you plan to lose a significant amount of weight, you will experience stalls. It's what you do when you experience a stall that makes a difference. If you let it derail you or send you into a tail spin, then stay off the scale.

Just about everyone experiences a stall about three weeks after surgery. After that, they are less predictable. You may find you experience significant stalls around weights that you have maintained for a while pre-op.

Just follow your program.

Focus on getting in all of your Protein and fluids.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise when cleared.

Stay off the scale.< /p>

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall.

Thanks for the advice guys. I refuse to let a stall break me and ruin my progress... just scares me to know it'll come. But you all have excellent advice. I guess I have a while before that three week stall being that I'm 5 days out from surgery. And it helps to know it may be quite a while before I have a really horrible one that takes a long time to break.

I am coming up on 7 months post op, and I have had at least 3 stalls. My first was around the 3 week mark I believe but is was fairly short. The second stall I barely noticed as I was moving to a new state and did not weigh for some time. More currently, I do not even believe these are considered stalls, but every few pounds my body will linger for a week or two and then start slowing losing again. Since my journey began in November I am down 70 pounds.

My advice which I myself do not follow, because the stalls don't bother me is...stay away from the scale. Some people say don't weight but every month, others say every few months etc. If you don't get on the scale, you won't know that the number has not changed during stalls. Another good tip is to take your measurements. Even during stalls my numbers have stayed on the down trend.

Thanks for the advice guys. I refuse to let a stall break me and ruin my progress... just scares me to know it'll come. But you all have excellent advice. I guess I have a while before that three week stall being that I'm 5 days out from surgery. And it helps to know it may be quite a while before I have a really horrible one that takes a long time to break.

They occur.

It's just like rainy days.......it just happens. you have to be ready and not let it rock you.

I can only speak on my experiences regarding stalls. I had one at 4 weeks when I went from liquids to solid foods. I attributed it to my body adjusting to the new way of eating. It last a few days and then the weight loss resumed.

I've had them periodically during my post-op phase. It has been fairly evident to me what caused them: excess calories taken in vs calories burned. Pure and simple. Easy to see.

Stalls, for me, have been the tell tale sign that my progress has halted due to my own doing. As soon as I kick it into gear again....all is well.

I detest everything about a stall and it motivates me to examine things more closely when they occur. I'll measure my intake for a week or so and scrutinize my exercise. Don't let anyone sell you on the bullcrap about exercise not being a big component to weight loss. It is a huge factor. You get your metabolism elevated and sustain it.....and watch how it amplifies weight loss. Good stuff.

Heal up.....recover from your surgery......stay on your plan with measured Protein meals and get yourself moving and stay moving. Summer is here and there are many more exercise options than just the inside of a gym.

Have fun and enjoy yourself along the way.

Relax and take comfort in the fact that you are going to lose a pile of weight in the months ahead.

@@Beck90, I'm with you. Reading your post hit home cause I have never been small/healthy weight and I'm afraid I will fail it also. It's a mind thing, I know my body can do it it's the mind we have to get into shape and change. I'm glad you asked about this now I can reread it when it's my time and I'm having trouble. My surgery date is July 12th! So excited! Thank you again for your honesty. :-)

☆Jeni☆

I'm in the middle of my first stall right now. I lost weight until day 10 post op and then nothing for going on 12 days ( I am actually 0.4 pounds up at the moment) As someone whose body always fights losing weight, I can completely relate to the stress and frustration. I am worried that I will be blamed for my lack of weight loss because that's what has happened in the past on Doctor supervised diets. I'm hoping my stall breaks before my next appointment next week because if it doesn't then I will have not lost ANY weight since previous appointment. Medical professionals do not always act like they understand that stalls happen so I am just worried they are going to blame me. But what am I supposed to do except get in my Protein and Fluid and do my daily walking? I have only lost 11-12 pounds since surgery and my starting BMI was higher than most and I did RNY which is supposed to lead to faster weight loss. I am averaging 600 calories a day of intake. I totally relate but I just keep telling myself that I have to lose weight at some point!