Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy in Texas

Hello! This is off topic, and I only want a min. of your time...:) My family and I are thinking about moving to Texas next summer. My husband works for microsoft and he can transfer down there and work at one of the offices and keep his same pay (we live in the Seattle area now). My sil lives in San Antonio and so we were kind of thinking about moving there, he can also work in Houston. If anyone would like to, could you pm me or something, I would love to here about how you like living there. What it's like...etc. I have never lived anywhere but here!

Thanks!

Carey

sorry for taking over the thread for a brief moment!

Okay, I've lived in Houston my whole life. DON'T COME HERE. San Antonio is wonderful....or live just outside of it, or Austin. Don't come to Houston. It's HOT, it's FLAT, it's UGLY, the humidity is 10,000, we have NO winters to speak of. San Antonio....all of the "hill country area" is beautiful. I lived in Austin for 13 years and left due to the economy in the 80's...but I was kicking and screaming all the way back to Houston, and I couldn't get out of Houston fast enough after that....actually lived for 7 years in the "Bay area" of L.A. before coming back to Houston in the mid-nineties (and only for work).

Looks like Microsoft is off the Sam Houston Parkway between Westheimer and Briar Forest. That's way out west. I guess it could be in a bunch of worse places. Personally I cannot tolerate Houston. I live in the Clear Lake area where my work is (the Space Program). Thank goodness, too, because if I had to live in any other area I would probably jump off a bridge. If ya gotta be here, this is the place to live. At least this way you can PRETEND you are someplace decent.

I've lived on the west side my whole life. If my office was there I'd live in Sugar Land. Great quality of life there (comparitively speaking). San Antonio is great too, but they are having some growing pains!

I live 2 blocks from Micro Soft. I've lived in Houston all my life except for a short stay in San Antonio. Houston is great and living off the Sam Houston beltway makes getting around the city very easy. San Antonio's traffic is 24/7, not so in Houston. Summers are hot in both places in july and Aug. The people in Houston are great and the neighbors really try to be friendly. Hope this helps

I'm from The Woodlands, a northern suburb of Houston. I was banded by Dr. Spivak last year and am down 85lbs. I am now running in 5ks and 10ks and am registered for my first marathon in January.

If I have a choice, I would not move away from The Woodlands. The schools are great and the quality of living is second to none.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I want to appologize again for taking over the thread, no offense intended.

I am really scared, but excited to move. Most of my family is from WA. and my mom/BFF has to stay in WA because my little sister wants to graduate from the school she is attending. So, I would be without my mommy for six years (that is if she decides in the end to move to SA or Houston with me). ;)

But my husband is really wanting to move, and frankly, it would be so wonderful to afford a nicer house (money doesn't go far here in the Seattle area), and my husband drives at least three hours a day going to and from work, the commute is that bad. Not to mention that it rains six months at least out of the year. My kids would really love to be able to play outside all year long. On paper it is a much better move for us, but having never lived outside of WA it is so hard, and I am very scared.

We are going to my SIL house (she lives on base in SA) the day after christmas and we are going to go look at houses in both SA and Houston. We will decide from there if we want to move or stay here in WA. Thanks for all the replies, you made it seem not so scary! :)

Take Care!

Carey

If you guys are tired of the rain and you want 365 days of play for the kids...Texas is just waiting for you guys! Texans are friendly too. I recall talking to a guy who moved here from California (and a lot of Washington and Oregon people are ex-Californians) who I worked with and he was astounded. He said "I was crossing the street the other day and someone came up to cross too and they said HELLO!!!! He was just bumfuzzled. He said you would never see that in California (true, I lived there for 7 years). People are VERY friendly here, I do have to give it that. And you can probably get a house within a few minutes of hubby's work. Either place you wind up, you can't go wrong with Texas!

Oh, and San Antonio will probably have quite a bit less rain than Houston, quite a bit less humidity, which will make the heat much easier to take, so unless you are into steam baths...look seriously at San Antonio.

Crystal!! I am a Dr. Davidson Project too! I got my band almost two weeks ago!

Is anyone interested in getting together every 6-8 weeks??