Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone's goal weight still leave them "overweight" or "obese"?

All this just goes to prove how ineffective and basically incorrect the BMI scale is.

In Australia, like the rest of the world, we work in Kilos and Centimetres (metric), so my numbers might not mean much to most readers. But back 25 years ago when i was diagnosed and hospitalized as annorexic; very thin to look at and by measurements, my weight of 48 kilos was just barely below the "recommended" lowest bmi weight of 54 kilos !!! But i was very very sick! Just crazy!!

My height of 165cms shows a healthy range of 54-74 kilos.

The bmi takes no account for varying bone density or muscle mass.

I would be very happy to weigh 75 kilos again. I could wear any outfit and looked slim and healthy.

I'd be very worried if my doctors started telling me i should weigh 54 kilos again!!

My nutritionist says they're aiming for us to lose about 60% of our excess weight. Not to fit into the healthy bmi range.

But it would be nice to sctually look slim????

Sent from my GT-I9505 using the BariatricPal App

My goal weight is 250. I'm 6'4"

I chose this as a goal because it was the weight I was in high school.....in excellent shape due to year round weight lifting, football, wrestling and overall very active.

The BMI scale would have shown me obese/overweight at this weight.....yet my body fat percentage was 15% when checked at football camps.

I'm closing in on 250......almost there. It's going to be a different 250, though. The muscles are gone....replaced with arthritis. lol. Yup....it'll be a different 250, but it sure beats the crap out of where I was this time last year !!!

The scales they use at the support group gives a lot of info, current weight BMI, age, height, ideal weight and more. I have always been 5'9" but since becoming a senior it appears I am not 2" closer to the ground.

The scales say my ideal weight would be 140lbs. Like most people I don't think that would work for me. I was going to try for 195-200 but have adjusted it to 175. It may change but got to get there first to see how I'll feel.

Thankfully there are support groups like this and they provide great information, advise and encouragement.

I was just wondering if anyone else's goal weight still leaves them in the overweight or obese range according to BMI. My goal weight is 172lbs, which would put me at a BMI of about 29.5 (still overweight). When I get there, I might decide to keep going to 155lbs, which would still leave me overweight with a BMI of 27.5. Is anyone else in the same boat? Do you think we should be aiming for "healthy" weights?

Who's goal is that? My surgeon's goal (160-170lbs) left me overweight also. I can honestly say his goal deflated me. My inner dialogue was, "I'm going to do all this sh*t and still be overweight?!". I made own goal based on a healthy BMI, height/weight charts, and healthy body fat percentages. That left me in the 130s.
Have you gotten to your goal?

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

Yes. Goal was 140 lbs. been maintaining at 135-140 for two years. On a diet right now and currently 133 lbs.

Yes. Goal was 140 lbs. been maintaining at 135-140 for two years. On a diet right now and currently 133 lbs.

Nice!! Thays what i was hoping to hear. I didnt get the surgery to be considered overweight still

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I don't understand the BMI thing. It's a tool, but makes no sense. My BMI is what it is, but my caliper skin fold fat tests show that I'm around 18-21% body fat which is really dang healthy for a 53 year old guy. I (and my plastic surgeon) are about convinced that I won't be "normal weight" until I get rid of the extra skin which seems to be adding around 15-20 pounds. But heck, I'm healthy, doing things I never thought I would do again and living the dream. What do I care about their damn charts?

I'm currently 5'4" and 369. At my smallest when I was super active in sports I was 162, and I believe that still puts me at being overweight. I'm OK with that because I was mostly muscle from all the training and sports I was involved in... I lifted weights with the football team ,volleyball, basketball, and I ran & threw in track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using the BariatricPal App

At 5'5" and 135 pounds, my BMI is within the normal range. HOWEVER ... there are so many reasons why healthy people's BMI would be outside the "normal BMI" range.

I just love the photographs taken in the last few years of Olympic athletes who're obviously very healthy people. Here's one of some women athletes, along with their heights and weights:

original.jpg

Ok I totally love that picture!!!

BUT... What's up with the rhythmic gymnast's toes?!?!? That looks painful!

My BMI is in the overweight category. I really hate that, and I don't think I'm actually overweight. With my body fat distribution, I'd have to be skin and bones from the waist up to lose the fat in my thighs/legs. I really had a difficult time coming to grips with the fact that I'm probably never going to see a "normal" BMI, but I'm (mostly) over it. I wear a size 8/M, and have a nice shape, can shop anywhere I want, and feel great. As others have said, there are better true indicators of health, but for the time being, we are all stuck with BMI as a measurement tool, because the insurance industry needs an easy way to predict our risk, and the medical community is still buying it, too.

I thought most people set their own goal weight...do your surgeons help you come up with one? Mine didn't. I arrived at my goal weight based on a BMI of 24.5 which is right there in healthy territory but I'm sure I may have to live with being "overweight".

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I thought most people set their own goal weight...do your surgeons help you come up with one? Mine didn't. I arrived at my goal weight based on a BMI of 24.5 which is right there in healthy territory but I'm sure I may have to live with being "overweight".

Unless you don't follow your plan or put in the work to be more active there is no reason to settle for less this early out. I believe I hit my goal in part because I saw no reason why I couldn't. Stay focused and positive.

Unless you don't follow your plan or put in the work to be more active there is no reason to settle for less this early out. I believe I hit my goal in part because I saw no reason why I couldn't. Stay focused and positive.

Oh I'm just talking about some people's "goal weight" as in where their body naturally stalls towards the end of the journey is highly variable on the BMI scale, and yet they're perfectly healthy at that weight. I imagine my ideal weight will be closer to overweight rather than smack dab in the middle of the good BMI scale. The BMI scale isn't too flexible in that regard.