Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Real resources for people our age?

So I mentioned in another post somewhere about how there really aren't that many resources or things from the persecutive of people our age in the bariatric surgery realm. There aren't really any books or youtube channels or things of that nature coming from people with a "young" outlook, and I am wondering why? I'm wondering if it is because we as a younger group are just smaller in numbers or maybe more quiet about the surgeries themselves? What do you guys think? Also would you be interested in something like that like a book from a younger not so cardboard cookie cutter boring perspective, or a youtube channel that was honest and real about their journey? I would love feedback and for you guys to tell me what you think/wish there was available to us.

I really haven't given it much thought.

The plan for losing the weight has been fairly straightforward and simply explained by my surgeon. No book needed there.

My bariatric center maintains a fb page where the center's patients can stay in touch with the NUTs and each other.

Then there is Bariatric Pal....a group of folks that are connected by our common purpose. This place is way more of a resource to me than any book or youtube videos. There are plenty folks around here that are very much young at heart.....and growing younger by the day.

The plan for losing the weight has been fairly straightforward and simply explained by my surgeon. No book needed there.

My bariatric center maintains a fb page where the center's patients can stay in touch with the NUTs and each other.

Then there is Bariatric Pal....a group of folks that are connected by our common purpose. This place is way more of a resource to me than any book or youtube videos. There are plenty folks around here that are very much young at heart.....and growing younger by the day.

true I didn't necessarily mean like a heres how you lose weight book i mean there are plenty of those out there i just thought it'd be cool if there were maybe books about peoples journey that I could relate to or like a here was my experience the funny moments or the do's and don't i learned I don't know I guess I am a bit of an over prep type of person and as for the youtube i just generally enjoy youtube videos maybe its because i am a youtuber myself I don't know its fun to watch videos sometimes and see how people although they are going through the same thing may live totally differently and it'd be nice to see more people my age doing it I have seen plenty of books or youtube channels on the vsg and peoples experiences and I have only seen like a handful of peoples in 20's do it was more so making an observation

true I didn't necessarily mean like a heres how you lose weight book i mean there are plenty of those out there i just thought it'd be cool if there were maybe books about peoples journey that I could relate to or like a here was my experience the funny moments or the do's and don't i learned I don't know I guess I am a bit of an over prep type of person and as for the youtube i just generally enjoy youtube videos maybe its because i am a youtuber myself I don't know its fun to watch videos sometimes and see how people although they are going through the same thing may live totally differently and it'd be nice to see more people my age doing it I have seen plenty of books or youtube channels on the vsg and peoples experiences and I have only seen like a handful of peoples in 20's do it was more so making an observation

I think it is a great idea!

Write one!

I am "old", but I would read it!

Write one!

Write one!

>>

Write one!

thanks! and you are only as old as you act! I say act because feel is a whole other story haha if that was the case i'd be like 180 on some days haha

Edited by kalinicoled

Actually, as a 70-year-old who was once 20-something ;) I do think there are some unique issues that people your age go through related to bariatric surgery.

You're in SUCH a different point of life than folks in their 40s and older. You're still trying to find your way in life in every way imaginable. Your obesity has such a big impact on all of your navigational challenges.

Life and its burdens teach us a lot of lessons about what we're made of and how we can come through adversity, endure pain, and come out stronger than before. But most of you haven't dealt with some of these adversities: You probably haven't been married yet -- or divorced yet. Most of you haven't had children yet or cared for your own parents as they ail or age. You haven't yet changed your career trajectory more than once. Many of the lessons those experiences teach translate well in terms of the courage and self-confidence we need to succeed with WLS.

On the plus side, obesity probably hasn't yet had a chance to impact your health, like it has for middle-aged folks and older. You have much more energy than we do. Your metabolic rate is higher than ours. Your body's ability to recover from WLS and to look like we all want to look like is far superior to older folks'. Your double chins will disappear. You won't have any wrinkles. For the most part, your skin will pop back and look like you were never overweight. Few of you will need plastic surgery.

On the other hand, the 20s-style social life means you are probably spending much more time in bars and clubs than older folks. Alcohol and other drugs have caloric and other downsides for those following a WLS lifestyle.

As some here have described, fewer people in their 20s are obese, compared to the proportion of obese people in their 40s and older. So that means your age-peers are not as sympathetic to the plights of the obese and are perhaps more ignorant and more scornful of WLS as a treatment for obesity. So, yeah, those are tougher attitudinal environments than older WLS patients have to weather.

So I agree that you could be the one to focus on your generation and WLS. Do some serious research of your own. Interview surgeons. Interview patients. Report on their observations and experiences. You could start by blogging about your own experiences. Other 20-something WLS patients may also be blogging about theirs.

You could write the book, go on tour, become a talk show host, build a media empire, become a bazillionaire!

(You're welcome. :) )

Actually, as a 70-year-old who was once 20-something ;) I do think there are some unique issues that people your age go through related to bariatric surgery.

You're in SUCH a different point of life than folks in their 40s and older. You're still trying to find your way in life in every way imaginable. Your obesity has such a big impact on all of your navigational challenges.

Life and its burdens teach us a lot of lessons about what we're made of and how we can come through adversity, endure pain, and come out stronger than before. But most of you haven't dealt with some of these adversities: You probably haven't been married yet -- or divorced yet. Most of you haven't had children yet or cared for your own parents as they ail or age. You haven't yet changed your career trajectory more than once. Many of the lessons those experiences teach translate well in terms of the courage and self-confidence we need to succeed with WLS.

On the plus side, obesity probably hasn't yet had a chance to impact your health, like it has for middle-aged folks and older. You have much more energy than we do. Your metabolic rate is higher than ours. Your body's ability to recover from WLS and to look like we all want to look like is far superior to older folks'. Your double chins will disappear. You won't have any wrinkles. For the most part, your skin will pop back and look like you were never overweight. Few of you will need plastic surgery.

On the other hand, the 20s-style social life means you are probably spending much more time in bars and clubs than older folks. Alcohol and other drugs have caloric and other downsides for those following a WLS lifestyle.

As some here have described, fewer people in their 20s are obese, compared to the proportion of obese people in their 40s and older. So that means your age-peers are not as sympathetic to the plights of the obese and are perhaps more ignorant and more scornful of WLS as a treatment for obesity. So, yeah, those are tougher attitudinal environments than older WLS patients have to weather.

So I agree that you could be the one to focus on your generation and WLS. Do some serious research of your own. Interview surgeons. Interview patients. Report on their observations and experiences. You could start by blogging about your own experiences. Other 20-something WLS patients may also be blogging about theirs.

You could write the book, go on tour, become a talk show host, build a media empire, become a bazillionaire!

thanks so much i love hearing everyones advice and views on life i think that is how you learn and the day you quit learning is the day you die but you pretty much hit everything on the nail!

Agreed! I've found maybe 5 people on YouTube in their 20's, everyone else is much older. I've been able to find a larger population on Instagram and for the most part are really supportive.

I have also have been searching for some type of guidance on WLS for your 20's. I have so many questions about the holistic lifestyle change of getting surgery in your 20's. Posting questions here is nice, but your not guaranteed to get replies. I think it is important to have information regarding life after surgery specific to our age group.

Thank you for explaining this so well. I think sometimes older people don't realize that we are in completely different stages in our life. Most resources/advice I feel is geared towards the 35 and above crowd in many publications. I think as more younger people get the surgery, their experiences and results can form a new bank of information for those coming after us.

Agreed! I've found maybe 5 people on YouTube in their 20's, everyone else is much older. I've been able to find a larger population on Instagram and for the most part are really supportive.

I have also have been searching for some type of guidance on WLS for your 20's. I have so many questions about the holistic lifestyle change of getting surgery in your 20's. Posting questions here is nice, but your not guaranteed to get replies. I think it is important to have information regarding life after surgery specific to our age group.

yeah i guess i need to check out things on ig a bit more i always forget to use that as a resource for things sometimes

IG people in their 20s

https://www.instagram.com/fergieonfleek_vsg/ - she is 30 but she is young and living a young persons life

Youtubers

Clusee - she is her 20s and has struggled with her weight for a while, she is a success VSGer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGHPqGhf1TOLpJ4hUVF08w/videos

If you look on IG for vsg you will find lots of people, I don't have time to find more right now, but I follow a lot of sleevers, as I find more I will link them

I can totally understand having a different lifestyle than most people that post on forums and are involved in the WLS community. Most of the people are married and have children and that seems to be the focus of their life, if you are single and childless, you have a few different issues or fewer issues than the married/family people. It can be hard to relate to a lot of peoples stories. So even though I am in my 30s, I understand your issues.

I have found some IGers and Youtubers. I think Clusee is the best youtuber because she updates, is in maintenance and doesn't have children. Most of the youtubers I found vblog about their man and their kids and those issues all the time, and I really don't care about that aspect of their life at all.

Good luck. I'll add IGers as I find them

IG people in their 20s

https://www.instagram.com/fergieonfleek_vsg/ - she is 30 but she is young and living a young persons life

Youtubers

Clusee - she is her 20s and has struggled with her weight for a while, she is a success VSGer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGHPqGhf1TOLpJ4hUVF08w/videos

If you look on IG for vsg you will find lots of people, I don't have time to find more right now, but I follow a lot of sleevers, as I find more I will link them

I can totally understand having a different lifestyle than most people that post on forums and are involved in the WLS community. Most of the people are married and have children and that seems to be the focus of their life, if you are single and childless, you have a few different issues or fewer issues than the married/family people. It can be hard to relate to a lot of peoples stories. So even though I am in my 30s, I understand your issues.

I have found some IGers and Youtubers. I think Clusee is the best youtuber because she updates, is in maintenance and doesn't have children. Most of the youtubers I found vblog about their man and their kids and those issues all the time, and I really don't care about that aspect of their life at all.

Good luck. I'll add IGers as I find them

thanks so much and i love clusee she was one of the first few people i started to follow i love her sense of humor and honesty haha

You can always read "because I was fat" from Andy Butler. It is on Amazon for Kindle app. This is his journey towards the surgery and after. After reading it, I knew the sleeve was for me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You can always read "because I was fat" from Andy Butler. It is on Amazon for Kindle app. This is his journey towards the surgery and after. After reading it, I knew the sleeve was for me.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

awesome i will check it out!

Also for those of you who have/use instagram I started a new one at (kleegetshealthy) and would love to follow you guys and get suggestions on people to follow