Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Real resources for people our age?

I second Clusie! I follow her on YouTube and IG, and she really is just wonderful! Her videos really helped me feel more at ease with my decision after I first made it. If you use tumblr, there is also a great (but smallish) community of WLS folks in their 20s or very early 30s there, too.

I've been thinking about starting a separate WLS-focused IG and tumblr. I'd like to find more community and to document this process.

Once I get on the ball and actually create said accounts, I'll look for you on IG!

Sent From BariatricPal App

Hi! I'm 25 and I just made a Tumblr page. I plan to keep it updated on my journey before and after surgery. I have my preop scheduled for tomorrow and my surgery scheduled for next Wednesday, October 5th. Here's my blog if you'd like to follow!

http://kristenvsg.tumblr.com/

xoxo

@@kalinicoled, I think it's a great idea to do something informational and inspirational for folks your age that are looking into or going through WLS. I am much older (50) and as so many have already said, my perspective is different than yours.

I do think that most people your age get most of their information through social media (IG, Youtube, Snapchat, etc.), and that is probably what you should focus on, rather than a book, at least until you have a following.

I disagree with one thing that was said about your age group, and that is that fewer people in their 20s are obese. Obesity, including childhood obesity is an epidemic in the US, and it is only getting worse. When I grew up, most of my classmates and friends were thin, and so was I. Now, it seems like more and more young people are struggling with obesity. My own niece, at 12 years old, was within 10 lbs of the same weight I was at my day of surgery. Twelve years old! If nothing changes, by the time she is in her 20s, she will be super morbidly obese. Not only that, young people are looking for role models, and someone like you can give them guidance and inspiration in a way that feels right to someone their age.

All in all, I think it's a great idea! Good luck and keep us posted! :)

thanks for all the input folks hope you are all doing well i had my surgery on october 12 so tomorrow makes a week out for me! woo hoo looking forward to keeping in touch with you guys and following your journeys as well!

WLS Success Matters FREE Telephone Support Group Call Thursday October 20th 5PM Pacific, 6PM Mountain, 7PM Central, 8PM Eastern time - Dial in

From the USA: 641-715-3605

Enter Participant Code: 504739#

From CANADA : 641-715-3801

Enter Participant Code: 504739#

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

I really haven't given it much thought.

The plan for losing the weight has been fairly straightforward and simply explained by my surgeon. No book needed there.

My bariatric center maintains a fb page where the center's patients can stay in touch with the NUTs and each other.

Then there is Bariatric Pal....a group of folks that are connected by our common purpose. This place is way more of a resource to me than any book or youtube videos. There are plenty folks around here that are very much young at heart.....and growing younger by the day.

true I didn't necessarily mean like a heres how you lose weight book i mean there are plenty of those out there i just thought it'd be cool if there were maybe books about peoples journey that I could relate to or like a here was my experience the funny moments or the do's and don't i learned I don't know I guess I am a bit of an over prep type of person and as for the youtube i just generally enjoy youtube videos maybe its because i am a youtuber myself I don't know its fun to watch videos sometimes and see how people although they are going through the same thing may live totally differently and it'd be nice to see more people my age doing it I have seen plenty of books or youtube channels on the vsg and peoples experiences and I have only seen like a handful of peoples in 20's do it was more so making an observation
I think it is a great idea!

Write one!

I am "old", but I would read it!

>>

I really haven't given it much thought.

The plan for losing the weight has been fairly straightforward and simply explained by my surgeon. No book needed there.

My bariatric center maintains a fb page where the center's patients can stay in touch with the NUTs and each other.

Then there is Bariatric Pal....a group of folks that are connected by our common purpose. This place is way more of a resource to me than any book or youtube videos. There are plenty folks around here that are very much young at heart.....and growing younger by the day.

true I didn't necessarily mean like a heres how you lose weight book i mean there are plenty of those out there i just thought it'd be cool if there were maybe books about peoples journey that I could relate to or like a here was my experience the funny moments or the do's and don't i learned I don't know I guess I am a bit of an over prep type of person and as for the youtube i just generally enjoy youtube videos maybe its because i am a youtuber myself I don't know its fun to watch videos sometimes and see how people although they are going through the same thing may live totally differently and it'd be nice to see more people my age doing it I have seen plenty of books or youtube channels on the vsg and peoples experiences and I have only seen like a handful of peoples in 20's do it was more so making an observation
I think it is a great idea!

Write one!

I am "old", but I would read it!

thanks! and you are only as old as you act! I say act because feel is a whole other story haha if that was the case i'd be like 180 on some days haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

@@kalinicoled I'm not sure how old she is, but a youtuber I watch that has had bariatric surgery is Clusie, or Clusie L, I'm not sure what shes under. she has a great video explaining why she had surgery at her age instead of waiting.

and if you're into youtubers in general, then a youtuber named Gabriella had a gastric sleeve done, however she doesn't talk about it a lot, or at all really, but shes fantastic.

@@kalinicoled I'm not sure how old she is, but a youtuber I watch that has had bariatric surgery is Clusie, or Clusie L, I'm not sure what shes under. she has a great video explaining why she had surgery at her age instead of waiting.

and if you're into youtubers in general, then a youtuber named Gabriella had a gastric sleeve done, however she doesn't talk about it a lot, or at all really, but shes fantastic.

thanks I'm subscribed and watch both of their channels actually!

This video in particular is great:

Here's another good youtuber that is young who had the vsg: