Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two months in and I am both happy and disappointed to report that I've lost ~ 25 pounds.

Reason being is that I've been "here" for almost two weeks now (+/- less than a pound). To make matters worse, I have been pretty darn diligent with my diet, so my efforts are not being rewarded ... which is pretty darn frustrating.

This breeds moments of "why bother?" and, since I can eat just about anything, temptation to eat things that I should not. For example, the other day I went to a meeting with nothing but pizza and cake on the menu. And I had ... none. Could I have had a slice of cheese or veggie pizza without doing much harm? Sure. But that's a slippery slope and, given my plateau, I am trying to be as good as possible in the hopes of breaking through. Nonetheless, I have what I would call diet fatigue (i.e. it's easy to stay on track when the needle is moving in right direction, but hard when it's not).

So where do I go from here? I know I need to increase my activity. If I commit to that, then hopefully that will help. And maybe if I just stick to my diet things will start to move, but I'm not feeling optimistic at the moment. In fact, I'm feeling discouraged.

Any suggestions regarding how to break through this plateau, other than to just stay the course? How do you manage plateaus? Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by Wayward Traveler

Ironically, I've broken plateaus by eating a bit more than typical for a bit, and having small indulgences. I was stalled out before going on a vacation to Australia, and had anticipated seeing a higher number when I stepped back onto the scale upon my return home. It was actually lower than it had been in a month. I went down a whole jeans size while there. I didn't gorge or throw all caution to the wind, but I didn't log in every bite to MyFitnessPal like I do as part of my everyday routine. I ate sensibly but not overly restrictively. I didn't work out either, but we were on our feet exploring most of the day. On my second vacation post-surgery, and during visits from family when we were eating out a bit more the same pattern repeated itself. I think I'd been too regimented and too restrictive during my daily routine.

For me, I'm not really the type to fall down a slippery slope. I can deviate from the path a little without losing my footing. If you are worried that you might overdo things, you could simply try adding a couple hundred calories a day to experiment and see how it impacts your weight. Adding in some more activity could help as well. I got a bike and started using it to ride to the grocery store, post office, etc, instead of driving. It's a mellow way of adding in more movement.

Congrats on losing the 25 pounds! It's an accomplishment.

I assume that with the balloon you still have a post-op food program similar to those of us with a sleeve?

For me, learning to accept that stalls and slow downs are part of the process of losing weight is critical.

Just follow your program.

Focus on getting at least 64 oz of Fluid and getting in all of your Protein (my target is 100 grams a day), every day.

Take your Vitamins and supplements as directed.

Exercise.

And, Embrace the Stall

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

@@Wayward Traveler These "Why bother" feelings have plagued me pre-surgery. I'm trying and lost 1lb in my first month. My therapist (going to her for emotional eating and these exact types of self sabotaging behavior) has me keeping a list of the "Why Bother" answers and leaving the list where I'll see it (even suggested putting it as my phone background). Maybe that's something that would help. Congrats on your success so far!

Edited by KristenLe

You have to change your mindset that you are doing this for the number on the scale to go down. Eventually we will be on maintenance where we don't want the scale number to move. We need to concentrate on fueling our bodies with the best things we can and being strong and healthy. Eventually, if we do this, we will be at that all "powerful" number. I've never been a huge loser. (I lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks after surgery and stayed at that weight for another 6 weeks.) What I am is consistent. This has really helped me to concentrate on what is important. We are not in this for the short term- we are in this forever. Will it really matter if it takes 16 months to get to goal rather than 12? After we have maintained for a few years- I doubt it will matter. What will matter is that we learn how to change our lifestyle and our relationship with food. I thoroughly love eating! But I now know it is not my comforter or companion. If I don't deal with issues I'll eventually go back to my old "companion" and then I will have BIGGER issues (bigger me.) We can all do this! Each person's journey is unique. Be proud that you didn't give in. Eventually you will reap the reward. Good Luck!

@@MarciaN - yes, I get changing the mindset, and the journey towards maintenance, but it's still hard. :-) I've actually lost close to 100 pounds at this point (total - since my all time high 10 years ago, not just since I got the balloon). I maintained a 100+ pound weight loss for 6-7 years until I suffered a major injury and started re-gaining. I did the balloon to help me get back on track, to lose what I gained and to then lose some more. So I know it's a process - and a marathon, not a sprint - but plateaus still frustrate the heck out of me. Hence my plea for management strategies. ;-) I love all of the info, ideas and support from this forum. I knew I would get some great insight, and that I have. And, FWIW, I finally passed the 26 pound mark this morning. Maybe I just needed to exercise my demons by putting it in writing - lol!! Thanks again - to you and everyone else - for the responses. I really appreciate it!

That is fantastic. We definitely all need each other! Glad the scale is moving again.