Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The misconceptions about WLS from people who have not had it are hysterical, but...

Even funnier are those by people who have. I do realize that when people research surgery, they may not research all the varieties (or even their own!!), so of course there may be misunderstandings, but when other WLS patients spout off "facts" about surgery with no real basis for their beliefs, I've got to laugh.

It's been an epidemic around here lately, so let's see which "facts" we can debunk.

**DISCLAIMER. I am NOT an expert on anyone but me. I had sleeve surgery. I am confident that I can not talk about bypass, bands, balloons, revisions, switches, etc. with any personal knowledge. This thread is for sh!ts and giggles only.**

Sleeves do not "grow back". I know the whole stretching thing is debatable but I can say without a doubt, they don't grow. And yes, there is a difference.

You cannot feel your staples through your skin. If you can, you've lost far too much weight and should seek immediate medical attention.

If you have a sleeve, you do NOT have a pouch.

liquid will not stretch your sleeve no matter what kind of liquid it is. Liquid runs through a sleeve quickly.

You can eat around your sleeve (I did it yesterday), so you do have to be forever mindful of this tool you now possess.

Your way is not the ONLY way nor is MY way. Neither are the BEST way, either. There are a lot of different roads, hopefully they all end up at the same destination.

You cannot/will not poop out your staples. Really.

YES!

^nodding head in agreement^

Tell that to my sore bum. If it's not the staples, then what is it??

Your move, know it all.

Your stomach is in your chest, right under your breast bone. It is no where below your ribs, where people claim they are having all this hunger and noise. Which is really digestion. A lot of this confusion could be fixed by people doing live swallow tests. I think the only people on this forum that have had one are me and JaimeLogical, at least people that talk about it. You can see that liquids go right through the sleeve, and you can see your small intestines and you learn where your stomach is and isn't.

I think programs do a really poor job educating people, and since the sleeve is an easy and very profitable surgery for Doctors this is only going to get worse.

I think the most disturbing thing I am seeing in the past year or so reading WLS forums is the number of people with low BMIs and obvious eating disorders having surgery. The sleeve is an anorexic dream. As WLS moves more and more to being easily profitable in the US and other places this is going to become a bigger problem.

Wait poop out staples?!??!!?

Also, why didn't I lose 70 pounds in 2 months and get to goal in 3? My husbands best friends sister's cousin lost 100 pounds in 3 months having WLS.

Well it's a good thing I'm just drinking Water, because I just spit it out all over my computer screen. Poop out staples? Really? Sleeves growing back? Seriously? Your stomach is NOT a starfish. Lord, forget the education you may or may not get from your bariatric center, some of these statements people have been making are a sad testimony on the general state of basic education in this country.

I think the most disturbing thing I am seeing in the past year or so reading WLS forums is the number of people with low BMIs and obvious eating disorders having surgery. The sleeve is an anorexic dream. As WLS moves more and more to being easily profitable in the US and other places this is going to become a bigger problem.

This scares me too! What happened to only getting WLS if you had 100 lbs or more to lose - or you had significant medical issues (diabetes) that would resolve with GB. When I see what is probably a "normal" sized person (except on the BMI chart) removing 80% of their stomach or re-routing their entire intestinal system to lose 40 - 50 lbs - I wonder what the hell were they thinking. I think this also gives a bad opinion of WLS in general and why some think it's the "easy way out".

Honestly, everyone, WLS patient or not, needs a basic course in human anatomy and physiology. We buy many cars in our lifetimes, but only get one body. It's important to know how it works. Though if we all had a better understanding how our bodies work, there would be a much smaller internet audience for the kind of hogwash that masquerades as fact these days. Don't get me started!

Edited by 2goldengirl

Tell that to my sore bum. If it's not the staples, then what is it??

Your move, know it all.

Last week it was your knees that hurt. ;)

Your husband is a lucky guy.

You're welcome.

internalOrgans.jpg

I had a live swallow test, too. I thought most everyone did. Huh...

Your stomach is in your chest, right under your breast bone. It is no where below your ribs, where people claim they are having all this hunger and noise. Which is really digestion. A lot of this confusion could be fixed by people doing live swallow tests. I think the only people on this forum that have had one are me and JaimeLogical,

The scale of that image is a little off

Abdomen-1.jpg

The stomach is under the ribs. Most of the intestines are below the ribs.

Hemroids...hemroids can feel like a pain pick in the ass!

☆Jeni☆