Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol post op:it's possible? When, how much?

I wouldn't call it a generalization. I belong to a support group where half have gained weight and they have all put alcohol back in their diet. Four of them have taken it back out and gotten back to the rules the doctor gave them and they are losing again. That seems more like a control group to me. There is a reason why doctors tell you to abstain from certain things. After WLS you do not metabolize food like you used to. Alcohol is empty calories. 1.5 ounces of hard liquor has about 100 calories, if you are only eating 1000-1200 calories a day that's a big percentage of your calories. Alcohol is basically a type of sugar and it slows down a patient’s weight loss and may cause dumping syndrome. It contains lots of calories and is no nutritional value. After surgery, alcohol enters the blood stream more quickly than before surgery. The intoxicating effects of alcohol occur sooner than before surgery and after smaller amounts are ingested. A patient who has had the sleeve or bypass surgery absorbs FOUR times as much alcohol from a given drink versus before surgery. And lastly it can be irritating to the stomach pouch and cause ulcers.

Again, knowing what we know, for me, it's not worth the risk. Been through too much to get where I am.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying here.....but it's just not the same for everyone.

I do not feel four times the effect of alcohol now with my sleeve. Nope. I simply don't.

You see a benefit in wls group meetings.......I absolutely do not.

I had my sleeve surgery in October 2015. I've lost a big chunk of the unwanted weight and I've been enjoying weekend drinks per most of this timeframe.

Most of the days where I know I'll be having drinks later are days where I can be found in the gym making room for the drinks. I'll do extra work on the treadmill in preparation.

The drinks I choose have low calorie mixers.....same strategy as food choices in many aspects.

If a person hasn't lost weight post op then I'd submit they have other bad bad choices than just alcohol. I'll bet they aren't very active and they are grazing in addition to making poor food choices.

It's all about balancing wants, needs and committing to good behaviors. The strategies and methods may be similar but everyone's situation is unique to them. At the end of the day we have to be accountable to ourselves and not some group that sits around and preaches from a book of "you must do these". That would be hell for me. It is very reminiscent of the group sessions held by one of the nutritionists at my bariatric center. She's a former wls patient, too. She preaches and preaches.......yet clearly struggles with her current weight.

I often wonder if some of those group members meet for pizza later on after their meetings. They post frequently on the center's patient forum.....yet never discuss good progress or show anything that resembles active living.

I went to one of their support meetings early on after my surgery. OMG the whining and complaining that took place in there. The support I saw was support for feeling miserable and continuing with the things that made us all fat to start with. There was very little discussion about kicking into gear and going after the desired life. Being the new guy in the room....I was quiet and took it all in. First and last time I'll ever go to one of those group meetings. Last time I'll deal with that nutritionist, either.

Sorry....can't sit through that noise. I'd rather take the advice and fit it into my life as I construct a plan that works for me.

Chirp, chirp!

;)

Based on my experience, groups of all kinds -- whether they're centered around work, socialization, ideological beliefs, athletic activities, behavioral support, or whatever -- work or don't work NOT because they're an "X group," but due to the group's leadership, the competence and dedication of its members, and a number of other things, including serendipity.

They're sort of like "marriage." A bad one doesn't mean there aren't good ones. And vice versa.

There are a gazillion threads here about alcohol (pro/con; when; what; how; risks; benefits; etc.). People can get exercised about this topic.

Just enter "alcohol" into the search field at the top right part of this page (if you're on a laptop or tablet).

When it is appropriate to do so, you can on occasion enjoy a drink and consume alcohol in moderation.

The calories are empty.

A few people have transfer addictions to alcohol since they are no longer using food to deal with those feelings.

It could lead to other, old, unwanted behaviors.

Many people find that the alcohol's effects are stronger post surgery, so be careful how much you consume if you are driving afterwards.

BUT FOR THE SAKE OF GOD AND EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY, IF YOU HAVE A MIXED DRINK AND USE A STRAW, DON'T POST IT ON THE SURGICAL WEIGHT LOSS FORUMS THAT YOU USED A STRAW! :)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I waited until 8 months post-op, simply because alcohol gave me tummy issues BEFORE the sleeve and I was worried about reflux/nausea.

In the end, I skipped the champagne but had quite a few mixed drinks. Despite my weight change, my tolerance remained the same, and it still took quite a few drinks to get me to that happy place where I voluntarily danced at a wedding (my friends have the video evidence to prove it). I felt fine, but given the amount of empty calories, it's going to be a "at awkward weddings only" or "endure family on the holidays" deal.

There's no point in having one or two drinks, since I don't feel any sort of change/difference until I'm four shots in (Yeah, I'm *that* girl). So I just avoid on the whole, knowing it is still an option for special celebrations.

I would try an avoid it. At first, when I still had some weight to lose, it was okay. Once I got quite thin it affected me hugely. I blacked out a few times even cut my face once. The tolerance continues to go down over time. Also it will lead to weight regain. I would keep it moderate and always with food.