Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why do some people lose so quickly?

Ok I have been going through the thread and I am wondering.

Why do some lose 50, 100 pounds in less than a year and it takes some two years to do so.

I have a friend who was 208 pre-op and now she is 146 or was now she is 152.

She was banded in 2004.

I'm thinking it has to be lack of excercise and following the bandster rules.

Three years to lose 60 pounds seems rediculous to me.

Maybe because my friend is older I dont know.

She doesn't excercise either and she is a major sweet eater.

Me I'm a volumn meat eater which why I chose the band.

But wouldn't you want to excercise and do right to get the weight off and keep it off?

I'm 244 at 5ft2 and my goal is 130-140 I dont want to be 3yrs trying to get it off!

So those of who have succeeded to 75-100 pounds in less than a year please post what you ate and how much you excercised.

Did you stop eating after 6 or 7?

What excercise routine did you do?

Did you drink alcohol?

Cut sugar?

How many fills?

HI,

I am not sure how to answer your question. I think you can generalize that people that follow all the bandster rules should lose all their weight more consistently and faster. Sounds like a sound theory. Reading as many posts as I have, I have seen plenty of people who follow the rules and still lose slowly. There are too many factors to consider. For plenty of us, I also think the occasional indulgence leads to slower weight loss.

I think you will find that many banded folks are content with losing at a slower rate if it means they can work out but not all the time and eat some things that are not picture perfect healthy foods. I don't mean lay on the couch and eat tubs of ice cream. I just mean make slower changes. It is sometimes a personal decision. Sure, I would love to weigh 130 somwday, but realistically I would have to work out 2hrs a day 7 days a week to maintain that type of weight. I just don't think at this time in my life I have that much time to devote to myself, so I am contented to do what I have to do to reach 160 or 150. Does that make sense?

I hope you find the answer you are looking for, but ultimately I think you will have to see what works for you and your band. We are all different. Best of luck!!!!

Thanks kay that helps.

I guess I'm concerned about going through such a great measure to lose the weight I just want to be sure.

I see my friend eating small meals but she indulges in sugary,fatty Snacks afterwards.

I think wow I hope she does not gain!

I am going to try my best to get to goal in 8-9 months!

I dont mind excercising when I put my minds to it.

I have been walking 1-2 miles a day three to 4 days a week.

I replaced my Breakfast with Atkins advantage chocolate shake.< /p>

I know it's hard but I figure this is the last straw.

It's either now or never.:ranger:

Hey come look through the exercise threads!!! They are great and inspirational. I know that I want to not only lose my weight within a year but also to look good afterward. I am not about to lose that much weight and not work on my muscles. I workout hard and I love it. I am now thinking of getting into some running. I bike about 100 miles a week and love it, absolutely love it!!!!! There is no better high than riding around seeing everything breathing in fresh air and feeling your muscles working at maximum potential. In fact, today I am off on another 32 mile ride!!!! Yea me!!

So those of who have succeeded to 75-100 pounds in less than a year please post what you ate and how much you excercised.

Did you drink alcohol?

Cut sugar?

How many fills?

I've lost 86lbs since December but I work really hard. I keep calories at about 600 daily (not hard with the band) and run 1-2 hours daily. I have found if I sit on my butt and not move, I don't gain but I don't lose either.

I eat when I'm hungry, if that is at noon or midnight. I don't do hunger well. I power walk and run, just bought a Bowflex but haven't used it since I don't have the slightest idea what to do with it. I rarely drink alcohol because I don't want to run off the calories, and I rarely eat white carbs such as sugar.

I was worried that I would not lose anything. But here I am 5 months out and I am down 117 lbs. I gave up coffee, alcohol, beer, Pasta, pizza, etc. I only drink Water. I am currently training for a half marathon, running 4 miles a day under 40 minutes. I follow the rules for eating, don't drink 30 min. before and wait at least 30 minutes after. Exercise and follow the rules and the weight will come off.

Did you drink alcohol?

Cut sugar?

How many fills?

No, I dont stop eating at a particular time of day.

I run for 40 minutes to an hour five or six days a week and do two or three strength training sessions.

Yes, I drink alcohol moderately - perhaps a glass of wine four nights a week.

I cut white, processed carbs but I eat bread, Pasta and rice on a daily basis.

I've had six fills to take me to 2.9ml in 4ml band.

I lost 75lb in the first year and have lost about 15 since. I had a BMI of 35 when I started. I dont follow ANY of the bandster rules that are prescribed for American bandsters - no Protein first, I drink with meals and I eat carbs. I just dont overeat, I dont push it, I exercise regularly and I follow a policy of moderation in all things, including treats. Its served me well but I'm now trying to lose the last 14lb and I am having to diet quite strictly to move anything now.

You guys have done very well for yourselves.

I'm 244 and I really would like to be 180 by christmas.

160 by my bday in febuary of next year.

I'm serious about this!

I have surgery in 12 days!

I really need advice on how to lose steadily and stay successful with the band.

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow.

i truly do not believe i would be where i am now if i didnt get off my behind and exercise almost daily.

i follow the bandster eating rules about 90% of the time so the working out helps a bunch.

Pain is only weakness leaving the body ...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Losingjusme...

Thanks again for letting me steal your sig line for another forum. I post on a forum with a bunch of big burly guys and they LOVE that line! I knew it would be a hit!

BTW, I agree with you about exercise, it makes all the difference in the world.

I think it is all individual. I have been banded for 6 months and am down 60 pounds. No exercise, I can't stand it. I chase 3 little kids around all day, it is the last thing I want to do when my husband gets home. I know...always excuses!!! I do, on the other hand, eat in moderation now. That is very easy to do banded. I still eat pizza, Pasta, etc. I just eat very small amounts at a time. I have always enjoyed food and I still do, I just use the band to my advantage.

My sister was banded about the 2 weeks after me and she is down 90 pounds. She has more to lose then myself, but she does about the same thing as I do. She doesn't exercise, she just eats small portions. We both don't drink with meals or after, so I guess we do follow that rule. We try to eat Protein first, and just don't eat a bunch of junk. To us, it really doesn't sound as good anymore.

Again, I think it is all individual in what you do and the rules that you follow. You just have to find what works for you and stick to it. If it doesn't work, change things around a bit until you find what does. Good luck in your journey!!!

EXERCISE, EXCERCISE!!!!

Be blessed!

There are too many individual factors that contribute to weightloss rates to answer "why do some people lose so quickly?" Motivation, individual metabolism, lifestyle, genetic disposition, psychological disposition, luck of the draw... and on... and on... and one of the biggest - how much weight you need to lose. I could say I lost 200# in my first year, but that wouldn't mean you should expect to do the same, especially if I had 600 lbs to lose and you had 50. Almost every piece of literature will gauge progress on a percentage of excess weight lost, and not pounds lost.

There's no way I could post everything I've eaten. And I didn't journal it on a public site, so no easy links. As for your other questions:

Did you stop eating after 6 or 7? Maybe - if I wasn't hungry after then, but there were many occasions I know I ate considerably later than that.

What excercise routine did you do? No set routine. I tried the set routines and they bored me too much.

Did you drink alcohol? Sometimes, if I wanted a drink. For me, "I want a drink" means one drink every couple of months. Not a big drinker.

Cut sugar? I did in the beginning, didn't worry about it so much later on.

How many fills? I didn't keep track of the number of fills. I think what's more important is fill level. I'm at 2.75 in a 4. (IMO it doesn't matter if it took me one fill to get there or 20, what matters is that 2.75/4 is a good place for me).

I'm reticent to answer questions like this because often we'll see follow-ups of "I tried what so and so did and it didn't work" -- and it's SO important to go into this understanding that you may be the fasest loser, and you may be the slowest (probably you will be somewhere in between), and that it's all one big learning curve toward figuring out what works for you and what doesn't. There are no "givens" when it comes to what works.