Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life with CPAP

I have had a machine for about 10 years now. It is awesome, cant sleep without it. I use the pillow mask that goes in yoir nose and works great.

It takes some getting used to. I went with a full face mask eventually, it provided the most "normal" breathing for me. On the plus side you may be able to get off it eventually. I'm down about 125lbs since surgery in January. I was able drop my CPAP after about 80lbs lost.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. I really do sleep better and I've noticed that my breathing during the day has also improved. I used to get burning in my lungs from exercising too hard. That seemed to go away. Now I just breath hard from being out of shape.

On 4/21/2016 at 12:41 PM, Ignatius said:

As part of my surgeon's process, the NP ordered a sleep study after mentioning snoring and daytime somnolence. Sure enough, I have added sleep apnea to my list of co-morbidities (also hypertension). Received my AutoPAP machine yesterday and gave it a whirl last evening. It's...going to take some getting used to.

For those with apnea, have you learned to adjust to sleeping with the mask? Have the benefits of the machine outweighed the mask? Were you able to follow the guidelines of sleeping with the machine 30 days prior to surgery and during your hospital stay?

I want to make it work. My sleep study test results showed an AHI of 26 and SpO2 of 71%, and I know proper treatment can aid in weight loss, lowering hypertension, etc.

My CPAP machine is my best friend! I've gone around the world and always have it with me. You will become so use to it, you won't be able to sleep without it. It takes a bit to get use to it but STAY WITH IT! DON'T GIVE UP. I've had a machine for 14 years now! Hopefully, after surgery, I won't need it.

As part of my surgeon's process, the NP ordered a sleep study after mentioning snoring and daytime somnolence. Sure enough, I have added sleep apnea to my list of co-morbidities (also hypertension). Received my AutoPAP machine yesterday and gave it a whirl last evening. It's...going to take some getting used to.
For those with apnea, have you learned to adjust to sleeping with the mask? Have the benefits of the machine outweighed the mask? Were you able to follow the guidelines of sleeping with the machine 30 days prior to surgery and during your hospital stay?
I want to make it work. My sleep study test results showed an AHI of 26 and SpO2 of 71%, and I know proper treatment can aid in weight loss, lowering hypertension, etc.

Stick with it. It definitely takes some getting used to but it gets better. My sleep study test results showed severe sleep apnea - AHI of 70 and 63% SpO2. Used a nasal mask for a month and it was horrible. I kept taking it off in my sleep.. only managed to keep it on for 4 hrs or more 3 out of 30 days. I switched to nasal pillows and have been able to keep it on the whole night. My AHI for the past couple of months is down to .5 - 1.5

I hated the sleep study, but managed to get the results they needed. Diagnosis: Sever Sleep Apnea! I have my machine now for nearly 2-years. Like some have said, I will not sleep without it, litterally. Since going on the machine, my severe acid reflux went away, and I started dreaming again (they could make movies of my dreams now, as they are quite vivid).

However, I know I am on the machine, because I am overweight and living an unhealthy life style. Since acid reflux is an issue with a VSG procedure, I may have to keep using my machine post op.

Yes the machine is a big help. Having that comorbidity also helps justify the surgery. But sleep apnea isn’t just a problem for the obese. My sleep doc is skinny as a rail and from China—he tells me that he has sleep apnea too and it’s quite common in his ethnic group “because we have a small pharynx”. That surprised me! Anyway, after surgery I am no longer obese, and had hoped to lose the machine. No such luck—my AHI is 85 (it was about 120 before surgery). So my case is quite severe, but with the machine I feel so much better. It took me a while to adjust but I’m very comfortable with the machine now.

Got mine 2 days ago. Same reason as OP, sleep study as part of process for WLS. My PCP wrote me a scryp for a sleep study years ago but like most refused to go. For the past year or so my sleep schedule has been completely screwed. There are times when I'm up for 48+ hours and feel fine and other times where I'm dozing all day long. I've slept a total of 8 hours in the last two nights and can't say I feel any different with this thing. It doesn't bother me at all and when I am asleep I'm out but don't wake up refreshed as the tech that brought it here said I would feel, not yet anyway. Hoping this will get me back into the correct flow. Wife did mention I seemed to be quieter.

I have severe apnea and can not sleep without my CPAP. If you keep your machine and filters clean, you should get use to it. I had trouble finding a mask that fit. Now that I have the perfect one for me, I love my CPAP. I will never get off of it due to the fact that I had apnea way before I gained weight. Please do not settle for an uncomfortable mask. Talk to your doctor about getting fitted for the correct one. One size does not fit all.

sleep is a complicated thing. That machine will help you but it may take some time, especially when you clearly have had a very irregular sleep pattern. I have severe sleep apnea, but also insomnia and difficulty staying asleep (poor sleep hygiene I think my sleep doc called it). I’ve struggled with this for decades, including 15 years on CPAP, which I will never give up. The last month or so I’ve been taking 1 mg melatonin and a cup of chamomile tea when I go to bed—those help me get to sleep. Also 10 mg of doxepin to help me stay asleep. I’ve been sleeping great and feel so much better. Hopefully the trend will continue. Everything I read says you have to get into a good pattern and then stay there. Hang in there and talk to a genuine sleep doc if you continue to have trouble. You’ll get there!

I’ve used cpap for 4 years and honestly it’s the best feeling when I lay down at night just to feel the cool air on my face

This should be moved to the unisex section, males are not the only draftees in the C Pap war. Indeed a recent handout I came across stated we of other gender might not be able to drop usage. My Surgery date is not set to occur until July. Why? Because on order of my PCP after prolonged spell 9f sinusitis, I went out of compliance, now I have. to re-establish 30,continous electronic compliance days before my surgery can go forth. I am not overly,enchanted by this turn of events. But my masked "peeps" I,will go forward into,the future.😪

I’ve been treating sleep apnea for 6 years and can hardly sleep without the machine. I’ve had one sleep study post-surgery and they were able to turn the pressure down significantly, but I’m still required to use a CPAP. My sleep doctor said to come back if I’d lost another 10% of my body weight, and I’m about 15 pounds from there.

I love the quality of sleep i get since using my CPAP. I’ve had it for the last 18 months and i average 7 hours of good sleeps night. Yes there was a learning curve but it was absolutely worth it to me. I never need a nap, I wake refreshed and ready to face each day.

I’ve used a CPAP for several years. It definitely has helped me and I don’t even notice the headgear and nasal pillows anymore. I hoping that after surgery I will no longer need it. My sleeve surgery is 6/18. Give it a try and see how you do.