Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life with CPAP

I am a 13 year user. I have a nasal mask(mirage ultra). One of the things I find helpful is to run the hose up over your head, hooked over the head board. I am a side sleeper, so the hose is lined up with my nose, not pulling off to the side causing air leaks. It sounds odd, but try it, it makes a HUGE difference for me. At the 6 month post op mark, my pressure was cut in HALF!!! I still have about 100 to loose and when I get to my goal weight will have a sleep study done to see if I can "Can" the cpap. Fingers crossed, it PROBABLY will happen. Good luck and sweet dreams!

@@DavidOso I've seen that tip about running the hose along the headboard before. Problem is I don't have a headboard. I'll have to look into rigging something up. Thanks.

And, by the way, am I reading your stats correctly that you've lost 208 lbs. in ~10 months? Congrats!

I too do not have a headboard. On Amazon I found cpap hose holders that are like a "tree" that sits between hour mattress and box spring. It allows the hose to be routed through a holder so it can stay centered over your bed. I ordered that and a longer tube 10' to allow me more freedom to change positions. I tried to copy the link but I'm on my phone...so just search cpap hose holder. Hope this helps!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

@@Ignatius, you are correct, sir. Just a hair under a pound a day the first 6-7 months. Now it has slowed to about 15 lbs a month @ the 8-10 month mark. I am focusing a little more heavily on the gym, now, to keep the "weight-loss machine" in fine working condition. This is not as hard as it sounds because the gym was already a habit. I've just ramped it up a notch.

I received a nasal pillow today. I much prefer the feel, but my machine (ResMed Airsense 10 Auto) feels like it's pushing out way too much air now. Does the pressure need to be adjusted when switching from full mask to nasal pillow?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I received a nasal pillow today. I much prefer the feel, but my machine (ResMed Airsense 10 Auto) feels like it's pushing out way too much air now. Does the pressure need to be adjusted when switching from full mask to nasal pillow?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think that's the same machine I have. There should be a mask option under settings where you tell it what type of mask you have...

You can also adjust the ramp. The pressure of air can start out low until you're asleep.

With respect to holding the hose--you can buy a little clip with a Velcro loop that lets you secure the hose to your blanket. I find if I clip it maybe 18" down with a little slack it keeps the weight of the hose from breaking the seal on my Swift FX (I toss and turn a lot). Just a small thing but it makes a world of difference for me. Search Amazon for "CPAP clip" and you'll find it.

With that setup I have slept all night with the CPAP for 12 years now. It took me some weeks to get used to it, but now I fall right asleep as soon as I turn on the machine. I don't ever sleep without it.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

You can also adjust the ramp. The pressure of air can start out low until you're asleep.

I've always hated the ramp. First thing I turned off when I got the latest machine.

I love my CPAP, I put it on and I'm out in five minutes for a full eight hours.

@@Fredbear I tried my machine without the ramp last evening. Lasted much longer than normal. Great tip.

Edited by Ignatius

For those with apnea, have you learned to adjust to sleeping with the mask? Have the benefits of the machine outweighed the mask? Were you able to follow the guidelines of sleeping with the machine 30 days prior to surgery and during your hospital stay?

I can tell you, as someone who's had a CPAP since 2002, that the benefit definitely does outweigh the mask. My wife calls it our "little marriage saver".

You'll get used to it. You would not believe how much better you have it starting now than I did in 2002. My machine sounded like Darth Vader in a TIE fighter.

Some tips I have...

Don't use the Ramp function. Makes me feel like I'm going to choke.

Use the humidifier.

Make sure you have plenty of filters and change them regularly.

Get a new nasal pillow whenever insurance covers it. I was really bad about it for a while and my nose hated me for it.

For those with apnea, have you learned to adjust to sleeping with the mask? Have the benefits of the machine outweighed the mask? Were you able to follow the guidelines of sleeping with the machine 30 days prior to surgery and during your hospital stay?

I can tell you, as someone who's had a CPAP since 2002, that the benefit definitely does outweigh the mask. My wife calls it our "little marriage saver".

You'll get used to it. You would not believe how much better you have it starting now than I did in 2002. My machine sounded like Darth Vader in a TIE fighter.

Some tips I have...

Don't use the Ramp function. Makes me feel like I'm going to choke.

Use the humidifier.

Make sure you have plenty of filters and change them regularly.

Get a new nasal pillow whenever insurance covers it. I was really bad about it for a while and my nose hated me for it.

Listen to this man! These are all excellent tips, and I follow every one of them.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

I used a CPAP for six years and it really helped me a lot. My last machine was an autopap machine and i noticed in looking over the reports from the machine that the Avg pressure I needed dropped after my surgery. At about 4 months after surgery, it was down below the lowest pressure my doctor indicated. I consulted with my doc and he suggested I test sleeping without the machine. That was six months ago and I haven't used it since and I feel as fully rested as when I used the machine.

I'm a long-term CPAP user and it has really helped me. I have noticed a problem since my surgery however -- I've been waking up after a few hours with a bad case of "cotton mouth" -- completely dry. It reminds me of when I first started CPAP and wasn't keeping my mouth shut, but that hasn't been a problem for at least 10 years.

I've started using the humidifier (which I didn't need before since we live in a humid area near the coast) and that didn't seem to help much. I have found a product called Xyli Melts which is helping somewhat. They're little Xylitol based tablets you stick between your gums and your cheek -- two at bedtime. They help you salivate more and last most of the night. (I found them on Amazon--recommended for dry mouth and CPAP users.)

I'm thinking maybe this is an indication that I'm just not as well hydrated post-surgery. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas how to deal with it?

Thanks.

I'm a long-term CPAP user and it has really helped me. I have noticed a problem since my surgery however -- I've been waking up after a few hours with a bad case of "cotton mouth" -- completely dry. It reminds me of when I first started CPAP and wasn't keeping my mouth shut, but that hasn't been a problem for at least 10 years.

I've started using the humidifier (which I didn't need before since we live in a humid area near the coast) and that didn't seem to help much. I have found a product called Xyli Melts which is helping somewhat. They're little Xylitol based tablets you stick between your gums and your cheek -- two at bedtime. They help you salivate more and last most of the night. (I found them on Amazon--recommended for dry mouth and CPAP users.)

I'm thinking maybe this is an indication that I'm just not as well hydrated post-surgery. Anyone else have this problem or any ideas how to deal with it?

Thanks.

I've noticed this as well, and I have a full face mask. Wonder if hydration is the cause? I have only been making it and hour or so on cpap since my surgery 8 days ago.