Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life with CPAP

Ever since my surgery, my CPAP leaves me with such a dry mouth! They gave me a humidifier but the thing uses loads of distilled Water and it gives me the feeling I am sleeping in a god damn aquarium.

I leave my CPAP on the ground though, as indicated by my "sleep doctor" but Water condensate in the tube and sometimes I even feel drops falling on my nose and/or mouth.

Hopefully I'll be able to give it back soon...

Thanks all--sounds like we have a trend here! Mine is an auto CPAP so I don't think it's the settings. I doubt I'll be able to get off CPAP even with weight loss--I had apnea even when I was close to what is now my goal weight. I do recommend that if you are prescribed one you use it--it does take some time to adjust but the health impact is worth it.

Give the XyliMelts a try too--they're about 1 calorie so no worries there... I've also taken to keeping a glass of Water on my nightstand for the times I need it.

I've stayed with my CPAP since 30 days before my surgery. The advantages of REAL Restful sleep have far outweighed the look of the mask while I'm asleep in the first place. I went from 70+ interruptions per hour and being tired EVERY afternoon to 1.5 interruptions per hour and 7 hours of REAL sleep that allows me to be awake all day. I can now make a 200+ mile round trip without needing a relief driver.

I am keeping mine in use for another 60 pounds lost (get under 240) and we will re-evaluate things. Being about 100 pounds lighter does help, for sure, but the benefits were INSTANT for me, so I have stuck with it. Talk to your Pulmonologist about different masks and fit options.

First night using the new cpap. Didn't go too bad. Head feels a little weird. I tried to use one of these 5/6 years ago but the dang thing gave me sinus infections. I hope it doesn't happen again.

First night using the new cpap. Didn't go too bad. Head feels a little weird. I tried to use one of these 5/6 years ago but the dang thing gave me sinus infections. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Make sure to use the humidifier and clean tubing and mask frequently.

It's all about finding the right mask. I can't tolerate a full mask. Nasal pillows were comfy but my mouth opens and a chin strap didn't work. Finally found a hybrid mask with a mask piece that goes over the mouth and nasal pillows on the top. Sounds elaborate but it's super comfy for me. Absolutely keep it clean. I ended up with a machine that pumps ozone through to clean the tubes because I couldn't clean it often enough fit my allergies. I'm going to be done with mine not too long after the surgery.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using the BariatricPal App

@@Ignatius my CPAP machine has a function that starts the flow slow at first and then slowly increases the pressure over 15 minutes. Check to see if you have this option. I too have the full mask and prefer it. I think it helps me keep my mouth shut (my husband would laugh out loud).

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Shrinkinqtpi

I am really happy, after a new sleeping test, I could finally give back my CPAP machine! After a weight loss of 33kilos (around 73pounds), no more sleep apneas! Wow that is great, I am really glad! No more changing my mask everymonth because it's too big and finally normal sleep without this awful machine!

I am really happy, after a new sleeping test, I could finally give back my CPAP machine! After a weight loss of 33kilos (around 73pounds), no more sleep apneas! Wow that is great, I am really glad! No more changing my mask everymonth because it's too big and finally normal sleep without this awful machine!

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@theantichick What's the name of your hybrid mask. I'm intrigued.

I have a love/hate relationship with my CPAP, but only because I'm claustrophobic. I have a Dreamwear mask. It fits kinda like an oxygen tube you had in the hospital. (Best way I can describe it.) The hose connects at the top of my head, which allows better movement since I don't stay in one position. I am more rested each day. Good luck, I think the mask is the key to success!

Sent from my KFASWI using the BariatricPal App

@@Mamapiller Just Googled the Dreamwear. I might have to check that out.