Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

need some help

Hi all! I haven't been here in a while but I am hoping for a little help I was sleeved in 2012 and had lost about 110 lbs. Well in the last 6 months or so I have been dealing with some health issues and other stress and have gained about 25 ibs. My eating is awful and I can't seem to get back on track for more than 3 days. Anyone ever dealt with this problem and have any advice on how to get through it. This site is the reason that I decided to get the sleeve in the first place because of the great posts and advice I read on here.

Aby help would be geaatly appreciated.

Edited by tinytears

Congratulations on your 103 pounds of weight loss.

This article discusses my experience with the "Maintenance" phase.

http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I would suggest that you make an appointment with your NUT to talk about your goals and strategies for reaching those goals. It might not hurt to do the same with a counselor or therapist.

In the meantime, go back to basics: track your food, get in all of your Protein and Water, avoid added sugars, starches, and fried foods, take your Vitamins and supplements as instructed, and exercise.

You have done really well so far, so it sounds like you know what to do.

yes to the NUT and therapist if possible.

Also, find another outlet for your stress. if the health issues make walking or swimming not possible then what about some yoga? some poses are easier. I like Peggy Cappy's videos, also I crochet which keeps me from shoving food in my mouth. I am a stress cleaner, but a happy eater, so when I began to deal with my food issues I had to find other things too.

Refresh..,cut out all white starches and sugars...vegetable and protein...no sugar...no bread etc...

bread, is still the enemy, lol!

I'm a bander, but can relate. Agree, see your doc and nut.

And do other things. I just painted my basement.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I was at a point where I was just tired of having to analyze everything I put in my mouth that I just gave up! But I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones who will always have to. Just wish I could be someone who can just eat what they want and not immediately put on 20 pounds! Haha.

Thanks again for the quick replys!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I was at a point where I was just tired of having to analyze everything I put in my mouth that I just gave up! But I guess I'm one of the "lucky" ones who will always have to. Just wish I could be someone who can just eat what they want and not immediately put on 20 pounds! Haha.

Thanks again for the quick replys!

Each and every one of us here are the 'lucky' ones. As obese and formerly obese people, we will have to watch everything that goes into our mouths for the rest of our lives or run the risk of either staying obese or being obese again. I think as soon as I realized that fact about myself, it just got easier to do what I needed to everyday to keep the results I want. Is it hard and does it completely blow sometimes? Absolutely! But it's the hand I was dealt.

It is what it is.

You're not alone in your struggle as many of us experience similar scenarios.

I'm down about 150 and have been at or near goal for about 1.5 years. While in general things are controlled (still weighing and logging), I still catch myself embracing old habits. I've learned, the hard way, that I need to simply avoid certain trigger foods and when I do, things are pretty easy.

It's an ongoing learning process and hopefully you figure out what works best for you...

Starting the shakes again, as though you were in clear liquid phase, have worked wonders to break stalls, even without a single other change. But to really keep it going, the other changes still need to be made, i.e., to get over the hump. I have four family visits, three reunions, two weddings, and a partridge in a pear tree that I would like to be in peak appearance for this summer, and I am planning on doing a "reboot" with the shakes and other liquids. These are people that have not seen me since anymore than about a month after surgery, and some who have not seen me since I was at my heaviest.

Uh ... I personally don't know anyone who's had WLS who "eats anything they want" and doesn't gain weight.

WLS patients who are successful long-term either control WHAT they eat or HOW MUCH they eat or BOTH what and how much they eat.

And now that I think of it, I don't know anyone who hasn't had WLS who eats anything they want and doesn't gain weight.

I take it back -- I do know one woman like that. Only one. But she has other issues. ;)

i made an appointment to see a new surgeon and NUT (insurance change- old surgeon doesn't accept my new insurance), and I bought the 5 day pouch reset book on my kindle and i'm doing that. I have been dabbling with shakes and broth etc, but I found that the actual PLAN is what I need, so I read that and am ready to go.

it's easy to backslide into old habits, my biggest one is eating slider foods, and eating too often, and i've taken up soda again, which is like crack to me. so now I have to detox off that, detox off carbs and simple sugars, and i'll be back on track.

good for you for seeking help here. good luck!

I haven't been on here for a LONG time. I'm 3 years out from surgery and I got down to my goal of 150 (actually 145) but now I'm fluctuating between 156 and 160. I know that isn't a lot of gain but, for me, it's a slippery slope. 10 pounds can quickly become 20 then 50 and that leads to "screw it - I give up".

I started off in therapy about 6 months prior to surgery and continued on for a year after. I only stopped because my therapist move out of the country (and I hate having to find someone new that I click with - she was amazing). BUT i'm realizing that I need to go back to therapy and probably the nutritionist as well. I can really eat anything I want now and I do (that's the problem!) So I need to go back to basics, make sure I'm focusing on Protein and veggies/fruit and stop putting the junk in my mouth. For me, therapy was the key to getting and staying (close to) goal for so long. I absolutely know that I would have gain back most if not all of the weight if I hadn't worked on WHY I was eating (using food as a drug to numb my feelings). I can feel myself slipping back into old behaviors and mindset. The old me would have just ignored these warning signs, deny there is anything wrong while continuing to overdose on my "drug" of choice. At lease I've become more aware - I can truly see the issues I have now and I know that food won't fix them.