Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

43 and just enrolled in the R.N. Nursing prog.

Quit laughing first of all. I know I'm too old to be going back to college and wouldn't have done it a year ago and 80 pounds heavier so I guess it's kind of a NSV. I have always always always wanted to work in a hospital and I quit college after one year ago a few years back so I enrolled today and classes start 8/10/07 and I'm so excited. I pray I have the strength and energy to finish this time. Pray for me. Just thought I would share. My daugher in-law went with me and enrolled as well so we can go together and she not knowing it would hurt my feelings said on the way down there today, "I admire someone at YOUR age going back to college". I could have strangled her but I guess if you think about it she's right. :)

Where are you going to school?

I finished by BSN at 46.

I bet you'll love school. I did.

Good luck!

Jewel

What do you mean "at your age".... I am teasing but honestly, I think you will find it is not at all uncommon. I am graduating (hopefully!) from my RN program in December. I will be turning 36. I can say in a group of 20 students, I am exactly in the middle as far as age (half my class is older and half is younger). I am finding that I meet a lot of nurses through my clinicals and assume they have years of experience due to their age, then I find out they are new grads. It is really not uncommon at all.

Best of luck. I think this is the hardest thing I have ever done but also the most rewarding. I am actually very surprised I have accomplished as much as I have. Just think, 80lbs lighter you won't be freaking out the way I did when we had our maternity rotation and had to wear the hospital scrubs. I thought for sure there would be none that fit my ample body...I was surprised that they had them. At any rate, now it is not an issue. You will not have that fear.

I hope you achieve all that you dream of!

I start school 9/5 for my teaching credentials, I'm 35 and a single parent of 3 boys. You will fit right in and be very suprised how many others are in the same boat.

Good luck.

Hey Beachgirl, I thought it was just me feeling that way, lol!

I'm 38 and nervous as can be about going back to school with a bunch of 18 year olds. Though having lost some of the excess weight, I'm feeling more confident in myself. I'm currently a hospital employee and they will reimburse me for all of my schooling so it's now or never, I won't get a better opportunity than this!

Good for you, getting back in the game and going for what you want! You CAN do it and you will do great!!

Best of luck to you!

Thanks everyone,

I knew I would have support with my LBT friends. It did feel odd but was so exciting. I just hope I'm smart enough. Thanks for all of your positive thoughts and congrats on your upcoming graduation Kay and everyone else for going back to college. I'm like you it's now or never. Wow, if you can do it with 3 boys at home surely to God I can manage. I bet I've forgot how to study, lol. I will keep everyone updated.

Hugs to all,

Sherri Jo

I'm 39 and going back in September to get my RN. I was 30 when I got my LPN, and the majority of nursing students were older than me then. I think its great. Good luck to ya!!

Ang

My mom was older than you are when she enrolled in the San Bernardino Vally College RN program. We car pooled with me going to normal college classes while she went to RN classes. I graduated with a Bachelors Degree after transferring, find it almost impossible to find any jobs in this area, and have yet to get a job that actually requires a college degree or pays a 1/3 an hour what my mom makes. She on the other hand has headhunters falling over each other trying to get her to work for them, and makes $35 an hour, and could do more if she wanted. The only thing that stank for her was that newbie nurses have to start on night shifts. She did two years of 2-11pm and, and hasn't worked a night since.

Since I can't find squat in the way of meaningful employment I'm getting into the medical professions too by going back to school to become an X-ray tech.

TLDR: You're never too old to learn, and you're going to make bank with this!

Quit laughing first of all. I know I'm too old to be going back to college and wouldn't have done it a year ago and 80 pounds heavier so I guess it's kind of a NSV. I have always always always wanted to work in a hospital and I quit college after one year ago a few years back so I enrolled today and classes start 8/10/07 and I'm so excited. I pray I have the strength and energy to finish this time. Pray for me. Just thought I would share. My daugher in-law went with me and enrolled as well so we can go together and she not knowing it would hurt my feelings said on the way down there today, "I admire someone at YOUR age going back to college". I could have strangled her but I guess if you think about it she's right. :drum:

Beachgirl, Congratulations for going back to school! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

You are NEVER "too old" to go back to school, and never let anyone else's narrow-mindedness stop you from achieving your dreams! You go back to school and get that RN degree, and I bet you'll be the best student in your classes! and then a top-notch nurse after that. Trust me . . . you have 43 years of life experience, and that's something way above what the kids coming out of high school don't have. That life experience will make you a better, more caring and compassionate RN. I'm an RN myself, I've been in the nursing profession for 20 years, but I'm currently "retired" . . . mostly because of my health problems and weight. I'm hoping once I lose some of my weight I can get back into nursing. It really is a rewarding experience and career.

Big hugs to you sweetie ;):girl_hug::) Just always remember, this is YOUR dream . . . never let anyone get in the way of that! If things get difficult, c'mon back to the forums here and grab some support . . . I'll be praying and cheering for you! :whoo::whoo::whoo:

Thank you so much everyone. Rose thanks for your kind words. I go tomorrow and I'm so excited for the first day. I here some of the classes are really tough so I will really have to study but I will do WHATEVER it takes. Thanks again, you are a sweetie.

I think it is so neat,what you are doing, I dream of becoming an LPN, possibly RN for a nursing home some day (I love the elderly). I have a record with marijuana convictions on it, plus I am hopelessly in debt and have a horrible work history. It's not always age that makes someone scared to live their dreams. I hope some day I have the guts to overcome my past and do what you have done.

Believe me, it isn't unusual for older people to go back to college. I teach general biology labs as part of my graduate school teaching assistantship, and I usually have several students every semester that are 30+. I think my oldest student was in her 70s. To be honest, the older students are usually my favorites because they are actually there to learn and get good grades. They generally don't dick around like a lot of the younger students do.